• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Has Arte had enough?

3 hours ago, Stradling said:

We have no idea if this is Arte driven.  Sure he could have the voice, so does Eppler.  It is just as likely that Eppler, who is much more in tune with what is going on in the clubhouse, didn’t like what he saw and went to Arte with the decision to move on from Brad.  We already heard the issue with the communication between White and the pitchers, so that is a fireable offense.  We just don’t know and unless Eppler is fired, or resigns, we may never know.

Dont we though maybe?  I mean it may not be driven by him but hes certainly signed off on it and in the loop.  Plus most GMs arent going to admit a mistake THAT fast as in Epplers hiring of Ausmus.  
We dont know, but there are indications. 

2 hours ago, angelsnationtalk said:

To your point @Angel Oracle I've been thinking this plan all along as well. (instead of Odorizzi it's Wheeler)

But maybe the production of Fletcher would make Eppler think that money can be saved by trading Simmons. That could help us keep Adell. We'd only have to bite our tongues by saying bye to Marsh.

I think trading Simmons would push this team backwards in multiple ways. Yes, he had a decline in production but he’s still one of the best all around shortstops in all of baseball. You don’t trade that type of player. 

I see similarities in this the same way i think the Angels should keep Calhoun for next season on a cheaper deal. Many people here will disagree because he’s a .230 hitter, but he still hits for 30 plus hrs and provides gold glove defense everyday in one of the hardest positions to play. 

55 minutes ago, floplag said:

Dont we though maybe?  I mean it may not be driven by him but hes certainly signed off on it and in the loop.  Plus most GMs arent going to admit a mistake THAT fast as in Epplers hiring of Ausmus.  

We have no idea if Eppler is like most GMs.  He released Harvey, Stratton and Allen very quickly. 

1 hour ago, floplag said:

It was 100% Arte driven. A person in the FO told me Billy spent the weekend trying to dissuade Arte. 

25 minutes ago, Stradling said:

We have no idea if Eppler is like most GMs.  He released Harvey, Stratton and Allen very quickly. 

all of which we knew were gambles on one year deals... Ausmus is to me a very different situation dumping after 1 of 3.  Just my 2 cents.  

3 hours ago, TBailey said:

I think trading Simmons would push this team backwards in multiple ways. Yes, he had a decline in production but he’s still one of the best all around shortstops in all of baseball. You don’t trade that type of player. 

I see similarities in this the same way i think the Angels should keep Calhoun for next season on a cheaper deal. Many people here will disagree because he’s a .230 hitter, but he still hits for 30 plus hrs and provides gold glove defense everyday in one of the hardest positions to play. 

I’m not saying trade him for his decline. Injuries made sure his stats weren’t top notch. I’m saying trade him because his next contract will be for his age 30+ seasons and SS is a demanding position to play as you age. Not to mention his salary will be at a high price which will bite the Angels later. Hence the emergence of David Fletcher. 

Despite Calhoun being a favorite to the fans, it’s time for him to go. That’s the hard truth. Right field is not one of the hardest positions. The list starts with pitching, catcher, shortstop and center field. Then the rest fall in place.  

1 hour ago, angelsnationtalk said:

I’m not saying trade him for his decline. Injuries made sure his stats weren’t top notch. I’m saying trade him because his next contract will be for his age 30+ seasons and SS is a demanding position to play as you age. Not to mention his salary will be at a high price which will bite the Angels later. Hence the emergence of David Fletcher. 

Despite Calhoun being a favorite to the fans, it’s time for him to go. That’s the hard truth. Right field is not one of the hardest positions. The list starts with pitching, catcher, shortstop and center field. Then the rest fall in place.  

If we trade Simmons that opens up a hole at third base. Unless the team plans on paying a guy like Rendon or Bryant, that doesn’t make any sense. The emergence of Fletcher bodes well for the entire defense as a whole. But even with his emergence, he isn’t the player that Simmons is at short stop. And he won’t be. Simmons has been slowed been injuries, not decline. That’s why you don’t trade him and if you tried, teams will low ball because of his injuries. Not worth it. 

Calhoun doesn’t have to go. Upton is the guy who needs to go. Upton is going to cost us game(s) because of his defense. If Adell is ready, you bring him up and you have an outfield of Trout, Adell, Calhoun. And when Marsh is ready, then that’s when it’s time for Calhoun to go. 

If the Angels can get a taker on Upton, you trade him and you bring Kole back on a cheaper deal. 

8 minutes ago, TBailey said:

If we trade Simmons that opens up a hole at third base. Unless the team plans on paying a guy like Rendon or Bryant, that doesn’t make any sense. The emergence of Fletcher bodes well for the entire defense as a whole. But even with his emergence, he isn’t the player that Simmons is at short stop. And he won’t be. Simmons has been slowed been injuries, not decline. That’s why you don’t trade him and if you tried, teams will low ball because of his injuries. Not worth it. 

Calhoun doesn’t have to go. Upton is the guy who needs to go. Upton is going to cost us game(s) because of his defense. If Adell is ready, you bring him up and you have an outfield of Trout, Adell, Calhoun. And when Marsh is ready, then that’s when it’s time for Calhoun to go. 

If the Angels can get a taker on Upton, you trade him and you bring Kole back on a cheaper deal. 

There’s no hole at 3B. You’ll have LaStella/Thaiss at 3B, Fletcher at SS and Rengifo at 2B. I get what you mean by “he’s not the player that Simmons is at SS”, but no one will ever be the player that Simmons is. He’s in a category if his own defensively. 

The last thing I see happening is Upton moving anywhere. They only way is if we swap bad contracts with someone else which won’t happen. Therefore we’re stuck with what we have. The only way Calhoun comes back is if we decline the option and then sign him for a much lower dollar amount. 

The best bet is to move on from Calhoun. As tough as it sounds. Use the money elsewhere and allow Goodwin/Adell to solidify the spot. 

1 hour ago, angelsnationtalk said:

I think any decision to trade Simmons will rely heavily on what you get in return.  I can only see him being moved in a multi-player deal.

16 minutes ago, TBailey said:

Calhoun.jpg.4af82fbddb5b8e5eabc9e1be0e893ee4.jpgUpton.jpg.2fe9c13c2a8690c48a7beebe92f0bdff.jpg

Kole and Upton are the same age. One has a long record of success, with occasional off years. There is zero reason to think Calhoun will be anything close to as good as Upton even next year, let alone in three. 

I don't think this (Ausmus out after one season) happens unless Maddon is not only available but committed to come here.

Arte sees his chance to get Maddon here.

Other than that - Arte may have been content with Ausmus as a place holder and Halos drawing three million fans a year for three years even with losing record(s) - although the 90 loss mark was a bit much to take this year.

The Halos were completely out of it by August 1 pretty much - but GEEZ - they still tanked in September -- tanked from being an under .500 team - four or five games away from being somewhat respectable -- to a way under ,500 team near door mat type of club. Awful.

15 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

There’s no hole at 3B. You’ll have LaStella/Thaiss at 3B, Fletcher at SS and Rengifo at 2B. I get what you mean by “he’s not the player that Simmons is at SS”, but no one will ever be the player that Simmons is. He’s in a category if his own defensively. 

The last thing I see happening is Upton moving anywhere. They only way is if we swap bad contracts with someone else which won’t happen. Therefore we’re stuck with what we have. The only way Calhoun comes back is if we decline the option and then sign him for a much lower dollar amount. 

The best bet is to move on from Calhoun. As tough as it sounds. Use the money elsewhere and allow Goodwin/Adell to solidify the spot. 

Fletcher at 3B > LaStella/Thaiss 

Simmons at SS > Fletcher/Rengifo

You can use LaStella and Rengifo at 2B as we did last season before LaStella was hurt. But let’s wait and see if LaStella goes back to the 30hr pace player that he was before injury. 

11 minutes ago, disarcina said:

not sure why folks want to encourage trading Simmons.

He's a tremendous ballplayer with a great team attitude.

really, one of my favorite Halos -- his presence in the line up make the team better.

I for one certainly do not want to NOT have Simmons.

i just know this team can’t win without pitching. Hopefully they can get it and keep all the players I like.  But when push comes to shove I want high quality starters more than I want Simmons.

So I could accept the right trade.

3 minutes ago, TBailey said:

Fletcher at 3B > LaStella/Thaiss 

Simmons at SS > Fletcher/Rengifo

You can use LaStella and Rengifo at 2B as we did last season before LaStella was hurt. But let’s wait and see if LaStella goes back to the 30hr pace player that he was before injury. 

Fletcher is the best infielder not named Simmons and as I said, Simmons will always rank above anyone no matter the name. 
If Simmons were to ever be traded then it won’t be until the middle of the season once he’s added some value back. Maybe. But this also goes to say that I have questions about him getting a new contract if Fletcher has around the same type of production that he had this year.

9 hours ago, Calzone 2 said:

“It’s going to be a crazy offseason,” Trout said. “We’ve got a lot of money freed up. It’s going to be interesting. I like the direction we’re going.”

Mike Trout

October 1st, 2017

Mike knows the marketing pitch by heart. Stay positive. Sell tickets. Sell team gear.