• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Garrett Richards might pitch next week

jsnpritchett

23 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Except its really next year for 15.5M, as it was a two-year deal in which he missed all of the first.

Still...

right, but they wasted 30+ mil this year.  It would have been nice to have paid half of Richards 15m already from the pool of that wasted money and have him ready for 2020 as that 3rd starter we sorta need.  No guarantee he stays healthy, but adding two starters to a base of Ohtani, Heaney, Richards, Canning etc. would look even better than it's going to.  Or likely going to.  

At the time though, I was of the mind that it was too much money for what amounts of 1yr for a guy coming off TJ surg.  

11 minutes ago, Blarg said:

He will be 32 next year and has only one complete season of pitching under his belt back in 2015. Since then he's thrown about 130 innings in 3 years. Y'all are nuts if you think paying for Richards elbow to heal would be a good idea. 

I agree it felt like a bad idea at the time and could still be.  I was just referencing the fact that the team pissed away so much money this last year, it would be nice to at least have another pitcher in our back pocket instead of having all that go to waste.  

The intent was never to piss away money, that was the end result of choosing the wrong players.

Paying Richards to heal would have been pissing away money when there was a need for that money being used on players that could perform this season. 

Maybe at age 32 he will come I to his own and have a 3 year window of effectiveness. Or, he will be Garret Richards. Let the Padres piss away money on that. 

If the Angels were paying him 7.5M next year they’d have 7.5M less to spend and still need to add at least two starting pitchers. The Angels paid him over 20M from 2016-2018 hoping he would stay healthy and be the #1 or 2 they needed and it never happened. It’s time for some fans to stop pining over him like someone they had a crush on in high school. What could have been was better than reality. 

Hindsight is 20/20. But nobody ever expected Cahill to be the only Angel with a chance to finish more than 100 innings in 2019. 

The cupboard is quite possibly bare moving forward. Heaney is what Heaney is. Skaggs is on a field of eternal dreams. Ohtani has a knee thing. 

Top free agents (Cole, Syndegaard, etc.) have proven winners to choose among. The Angels have more than a few pitching holes to fill.

The AAA rotation will be decent if it is allowed to be in AAA.

GR is no longer young in baseball years. But if the Angels retained his contract, he might have been at least one hole filled in 2020.

8 hours ago, Blarg said:

The intent was never to piss away money, that was the end result of choosing the wrong players.

Paying Richards to heal would have been pissing away money when there was a need for that money being used on players that could perform this season. 

Maybe at age 32 he will come I to his own and have a 3 year window of effectiveness. Or, he will be Garret Richards. Let the Padres piss away money on that. 

Padres are paying Richards $15.5M for one year in reality ... but only $8.5M counts against next years AAV. It’s probably a better gamble than what the Angels paid Harvey for one year. 

Richards found someone willing to give him 15 million bucks.  Good for him.  In his major league career more then anything, he’s demonstrated that simply cannot be depended on to be a starting pitcher.  He can’t stay healthy.  I hope he finally manages it ! But given his history I don’t think it’s reasonable to expect that he will.  From what I understand they made him a pretty decent offer to stay an Angel and be a lottery ticket for us.  I think Angels fans should be happy to live with that.  He got a better offer.  Fine.  It was time to move on.  

Edited by UndertheHalo

13 hours ago, Troll Daddy said:

Padres are paying Richards $15.5M for one year in reality ... but only $8.5M counts against next years AAV. It’s probably a better gamble than what the Angels paid Harvey for one year. 

The Angels needed a starter. They could not use Richards in that role so regardless of contract structuring his AAV is still pissing away $7.75 million. Richards injury history said this was a bad bet waiting for him to return and being on limited innings his second year of the contract. 

7 hours ago, Blarg said:

The Angels needed a starter. They could not use Richards in that role so regardless of contract structuring his AAV is still pissing away $7.75 million. Richards injury history said this was a bad bet waiting for him to return and being on limited innings his second year of the contract. 

Should be interesting to see how Richard’s pitches next season ... I doubt he’ll be on limited innings. I wouldn’t be surprised if he posted 150 plus innings if healthy. The Padres were gambling that he’ll become a top of the rotation pitcher next season. 

Personally, I agree with you to a extent. I think the Angels felt the same way you do.