• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

DJ LeMaheiu is the MVP

UndertheHalo

5 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I'll give you Simmons, but if you think he saw Goodwin and La Stella doing what they've done this season for the Halos you're kidding yourself. He got lucky on those two.

3 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

So if you sign a guy who was bad (Goodwin, La Stella), and he becomes good, that’s just luck. 

But if you sign a guy who was good (Cahill, Cozart) and he becomes bad, that’s bad scouting. 

Fletch beat me to it. 

Arguing that things that go well are luck and things that suck are bad evaluation is....special. 

3 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

So if you sign a guy who was bad (Goodwin, La Stella), and he becomes good, that’s just luck. 

But if you sign a guy who was good (Cahill, Cozart) and he becomes bad, that’s bad scouting. 

Cahill, Allen, Harvey and Cozart have had way more volume of work in their careers than Goodwin and La Stella -- both of whom were mostly role players, backups. Goodwin was dumped by the rebuilding Royals after an awful ST and 2018 campaign, La Stella was traded for nothing, also had a poor ST. Both seemed to have clicked when working briefly with Reed and Sorrento and they took off. 

Goodwin and La Stella were acquired to be role players here, but due to injuries were called upon to play more regularly. 

Eppler got lucky, but thankfully the coaching staff found something in their swing that helped them have a career season with the Angels. 

Unfortunately, Eppler's genius hire of Doug White has turned out to be garbage. 

3 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Eppler got lucky, but should thank the coaching staff for their turnaround. 

Wasn't it Eppler that hired those coaches?

Maybe it's a chicken or egg debate but in LaStella's case couldn't it be a situation where the analytics argued he was a coaching change away from seeing improvement?

8 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Wasn't it Eppler that hired those coaches?

Maybe it's a chicken or egg debate but in LaStella's case couldn't it be a situation where the analytics argued he was a coaching change away from seeing improvement?

He did, touche. Too bad they couldn't fix Cozart and Upton, though I'm sure Upton will bounce back. At least I hope he will.

Where I take issue the most with Eppler is the pitching staff. He has yet to put together a solid rotation during his tenure here. 

I hope that changes this offseason. 

50 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Cahill, Allen, Harvey and Cozart have had way more volume of work in their careers than Goodwin and La Stella -- both of whom were mostly role players, backups. 

So this would seem to indicate a stronger possibility of those guys being good, or at least maintaining. 

So when that doesn’t happen, why isn’t that bad luck?

38 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Where I take issue the most with Eppler is the pitching staff. 

He’s certainly found a lot of good relievers. 

Petit, Norris, Parker, Hernandez, Robles, Buttrey. All of them acquired for basically nothing. 

He also got Kirby Yates and Austin Brice, but had to get rid of them because of roster crunches, and they turned out to be pretty good too. 

You have to give him credit for the relievers. 

As for the starters, he’s mostly just been stuck with the ones who were here before he arrived, and they have mostly gotten hurt (or worse). 

He’s still really only acquired 3 starting pitchers: Harvey, Cahill and Ohtani. He drafted Canning.

That’s a pretty small sample size  

Edited by Jeff Fletcher

37 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

He did, touche. Too bad they couldn't fix Cozart and Upton, though I'm sure Upton will bounce back. At least I hope he will.

Where I take issue the most with Eppler is the pitching staff. He has yet to put together a solid rotation during his tenure here. 

You've been here the entire time. 

For years he held out hope that the guys they had and who the team had control over would finally be healthy -- it didnt happen.   

He didn't have the luxury of inheriting a still in his prime, Weaver, plus Haren and Santana... He took over a team saddled with bad contracts and a rotation that included Santiago, Shoemaker, CJ Wilson (who never pitched for him) the corpse of Jered Weaver and three broken arms.   He ran with Tropeano and he broke.  Alex Meyer and he broke.  Picked up Bridwell and Ramirez off the trash heap -- one of them broke the other one is Bridwell.  Woos Ohtani -- he breaks.  Pena comes off the discard pile, starts to establish himself as a back end guy, he breaks too.   Again, you were there for the entire ride and I think you're forgetting what some of the options were and how they have performed.  Check this out  http://proxy.espn.com/mlb/freeagents?year=2016&type=ranked&position=sp  you can go year by year and see just exactly how little there was out there.

Anyway, the one time he tried to address it with actual FAs other than Jesse Chavez was last year when he missed on all his first choices.   You know how I felt about Harvey and Allen but as much as I poo-pooed those moves, there wasn't a single projection model that had either guy completely falling apart the way they did.  I've said it multiple times, he has to wear the FA misses this year but other than failing to add Morton in 2016 when he first got here and didn't have the wiggle room to sign anyone I have a hard time faulting the guy for the pitching situation. 

What I do know is that we will be going into this winter with Canning 23, Suarez 21, Sandoval 22, and Barria 22 all around.   Dude needs to sign a couple FAs, period.   Those young guys need to be allowed to continue to develop and learn to pitch and they can't go another year without adding pitching.

22 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

He’s certainly found a lot of good relievers. 

Petit, Norris, Parker, Hernandez, Robles, Buttrey. All of them acquired for basically nothing. 

He also got Kirby Yates and Austin Brice, but had to get rid of them because of roster crunches, and they turned out to be pretty good too. 

You have to give him credit for the relievers. 

As for the starters, he’s mostly just been stuck with the ones who were here before he arrived, and they have mostly gotten hurt (or worse). 

He’s still really only acquired 3 starting pitchers: Harvey, Cahill and Ohtani. He drafted Canning.

That’s a pretty small sample size  

Oh yeah, I've given him kudos for the relievers he's picked up countless times. Which is great considering how much a closer and setup guy goes for today on the FA market. 

12 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

Whatever. This happens every year. Next year will be someone else. 

Last year and in several past season there has been someone with a legitimate case for MVP. This year there isn't anyone close to Trout. He should be the unanimous winner... I sure hope he comes out of his current funk and has truly fantastic September, gets 50 HRs and leads the league in RBI, HR, BB, SLG, OPS, OBP and on and on.

15 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Is Eppler asleep at the wheel? How is it that the Yankees who are supposed to be busy concentrating on setting up their playoff roster just show up on Labor Day and pull off two separate trades that secure themselves more international pool money. It seems like Cashman never sleeps. They traded away a stud pitcher and hitter that we could’ve probably used. 

J P Feyereisen

Ryan McBroom

Edited by Calzone 2

As far as how crap our pitching has been, again, everyones arm fell off in a really short period of time. And we didnt develop a home grown SP for years and years.

So every year, more or less, weve had to try to sign arms in FA, and its not like its been 1 to replace 1. Its 1 to replace most recent injury, 2 to replace guys who suck, etc etc. And no farm to help alleviate it.

There isnt one reason to blame here.

44 minutes ago, Calzone 2 said:

Is Eppler asleep at the wheel? How is it that the Yankees who are supposed to be busy concentrating on setting up their playoff roster just show up on Labor Day and pull off two separate trades that secure themselves more international pool money. It seems like Cashman never sleeps. They traded away a stud pitcher and hitter that we could’ve probably used. 

J P Feyereisen

Ryan McBroom

I wish I could ignore how dumb this post is, but I just don't have the discipline.  

If they're such studs, why aren't the Yankees keeping them?  

and can the Angels afford to give up international money for hitter who is having his best season at AAA at age 27 who plays 1b and corner OF?  Seems we've got those guys in spades at AAA already.  I guess Rojas, Ward and Walsh are all stud hitters.  

The other guy is 26 and has never seen a major league game even amid all of the yankees injuries that you're so quick to point out.  Maybe Eppler did ask about him but didn't want to give up international money and a prospect.  

Your comparisons of the Angels to the Yankees is what really make you look dumb though and it's probably your most tired narrative at this point which is saying something.  

Where the Yankees and Angels were four years ago when Eppler started were worlds apart.  I know it's hard for you to see more than a foot in front of you but they went all in on international signings before the rules changed.  They had a robust farm and  it was a primary focus especially in said international market.  Their franchise is worth over two times that of the Angels.  They have financial resources that don't even compare. 

You probably know all of this as it seems in your nature to want to annoy the shit out of people who are intent on having a thoughtful discussion.  

I feel you @Dochalo sometimes it is hard to ignore the stupidity even though you know your words will fall on deaf and dumb ears.  His only goal on here is to tell us how bad things are and to suck Yankee dick.  That is 100% it.  Your post if full of logic that won’t be reciprocated in his response.  He will respond and it will be a change of direction, again.  He will say something to the affect of you being happy with the current results of the team.  Or he will send you a dumb meme of Eppler or Cashman.  You know, the usual.  

1 hour ago, Calzone 2 said:

J P Feyereisen

Ryan McBroom

21 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I wish I could ignore how dumb this post is, but I just don't have the discipline.  

and can the Angels afford to give up international money for hitter who is having his best season at AAA at age 27 who plays 1b and corner OF?  Seems we've got those guys in spades at AAA already.  I guess Rojas, Ward and Walsh are all stud hitters.  

The other guy is 26 and has never seen a major league game even amid all of the yankees injuries that you're so quick to point out.  Maybe Eppler did ask about him but didn't want to give up international money and a prospect.  

Your comparisons of the Angels to the Yankees is what really make you look dumb though and it's probably your most tired narrative at this point which is saying something.  

Where the Yankees and Angels were four years ago when Eppler started were worlds apart.  I know it's hard for you to see more than a foot in front of you but they went all in on international signings before the rules changed.  They had a robust farm and  it was a primary focus especially in said international market.  Their franchise is worth over two times that of the Angels.  They have financial resources that don't even compare. 

You probably know all of this as it seems in your nature to want to annoy the shit out of people who are intent on having a thoughtful discussion.  

Thats Harold Howard... the pride of Canadian MMA trying and failing right there....

712rg1.jpg

Well said, Doc

6 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Interesting fact. 

The park index for Scranton/Wilkes-Barre is 117 for RHB...  The HR index 116.   Salt Lake City, noted hitters paradise comes in at 104 and 88 respectively.  Meaning, the park has actually suppressed HRs this year and due to the increase in offense in all the other parks -- it's the closest it's been a neutral run park in ages.

So to hammer home your excellent point..

wOBA

Yankeedoocher (27) - .405

Jared Walsh (25) - .465
Jose Rojas (26) - .398
Taylor Ward (25) .432
and just for giggles
Justin Bour (31) - .475 

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

slap GIF

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

giphy (14).gif

2 hours ago, Dochalo said:

The Yankees are in a better position because of their ownership. That’s got nothing to do with you or me. The Angels success or fail has nothing to do with you or me. That’s on Arte and Eppler. I certainly didn’t call any of you out for that. But go ahead and dog pile. Your frustration with the team is very apparent. Sorry for your loss.