• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Should Eppler have done something significant before the trade deadline?

Torridd

If there were any trades to be made that benefited the team next year and beyond, absolutely.  Anyone not in the plans in 2020 should have been moved for whatever was being offered.  If they intend to keep Kole next year and exercise his option that's fine but if not they're now going to pay 1M to buy him out on top of what they pay him the rest of this season.  I'd feel better going into the off season if the Angels had been able to pull a trade for a pitcher under contract/control through at least 2020.  I realize those aren't the easiest or cheapest trades but there were quite a few of them made yesterday and the Angels need at least 2 SP's for 2020.  

12 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

certainly Noe and Cam.  

Although I think the Skaggs tragedy had a lot more to do with not selling than anything would be said publicly.  

I am surprised that Lucroy wasn't moved if he was drawing actual interest.  

Why would the tragedy stop any movement?

I'm totally fine with him not making a significant move for a pitcher given that the rotation is completely decimated. That said, I'd rather we stood pat altogether than make the Stassi trade and give up two somewhat promising prospects for a nobody. That's a move made by a GM who knows he'll be long-gone by the time those two prospects would have made any major league impact; aka a Dipoto move. 

15 minutes ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

I'm totally fine with him not making a significant move for a pitcher given that the rotation is completely decimated. That said, I'd rather we stood pat altogether than make the Stassi trade and give up two somewhat promising prospects for a nobody. That's a move made by a GM who knows he'll be long-gone by the time those two prospects would have made any major league impact; aka a Dipoto move. 

Shouldn't he be more apt to make a move since the staff id decimated?  I know he doesn't want to come across as desperate (although he is) but it's hard to believe that nothing could be done.

26 minutes ago, REDneck said:

Wanting to pick up KC's option is predicated on Arte spending big!

Which I'm sure isn't going to happen

He spent $426M last offseason on Trout, he has dramatically increased the budget in the past decade plus. Angels are 2nd in the AL in attendance. He can spend.

Look, the team has some dead weight, and while I'd like to have Calhoun back, I don't know if it's in the Cards. Maybe if he accepted like 2/20. Kole will get offers somewhere though.

With Adell hitting .308 with a .900 OPS in AA, I feel he's going to open the year in SLC next year. And if he dominates as a 21 year old, he'll be called up for right field. And he'll play nearly every day. He might get a call up this fall in September, as well but I doubt it as they don't need to put him on the 40, and even though Trout was up for some games in his age 19 season in 2011 (2nd full year), the Angels did not have the depth in the OF in 2011 that they do now.

With Pujols here in 2020 and presumably 2021, we'll continue to see a platoon at 1st base, with Pujols likely getting the DH starts when Ohtani pitches and on the Monday's after...(say 40 DH starts) and maybe 70 games at 1st. Kole could work into that 1st base platoon if he were retained, instead of a guy like Justin Bour or Matt Thaiss, but I think you waste his throwing arm there. He could play RF and Adell could play LF if you put Upton at 1st, but Upton has never played 1st.

31 minutes ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

35 50 Raider Uceta RF 18.5 HOU LAA (Stassi)
Big, strong, left guard build on an 18-year-old. Has pop, but perhaps no position.
35 51 Joe Jarneski RHP 19.8 CHW TEX (Jones, Int’l $)
Velo is in the 86-90 range as he returns from TJ.
35 52 Rainier Rivas OF 18.1 HOU LAA (Stassi)
Slightly less big and strong version of Uceta.

Among the prospects traded at the deadline -- FG ranked Uceta and Rivas 50th and 52nd.

There is also this article...   https://blogs.fangraphs.com/instagraphs/angels-acquire-stassi-still-have-trout/

Uceta is unlikely to be able to stay in the outfield long-term, and Rivas is likely destined for a corner spot if he does. Both are about 35 FV organizational types. These are the kinds of prospects you get when you’re trying to trade for Max Stassi. They could make the majors, but they probably won’t,

Obviously it's just the opinion of the writer at FGs but, neither guy is seen as a anything more than a potential lotto ticket.

2 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Know how many top 5 picks in the last ten years have ended up as a top 5 prospect?   5...   Harper, Dylan Bundy, Correa, Buxton, and Dansby Swanson.

Yeah, top 10 picks tend to fair better.   But the "LOL one player", is just a stupid comment -- congrats.

You should probably read his post again... and mine.

@Inside Pitch thanks for posting that. People are getting way too worked up on Uceta and Rivas. It’s easy to dream on their promise as that’s what we do with prospects, but both of these guys are at this point nothing that isn’t replaceable through a MILB FA signing (i.e., Gareth Morgan), a minor trade (i.e., Adrian Rondon), or simply drafting an extra OF in next year’s draft or signing an extra OF in the next international signing period. 

We’ll be fine. And yes, Stassi might not work, and one or both could someday make the bigs, but the trade was perfectly fine.

The cost for pitching at the deadline was insane. There wasn’t anything Eppler could do. And even when it comes to selling, it takes two to tango. Could very well be that the names Eppler was getting back for Calhoun, Bedrosian, Robles, Goodwin, Lucroy just weren’t worth taking them off the team this year or out of the the 2020 equation. Aside from Allard for Martin, I wasn’t really wowed by any of the relief returns - not every middling pitcher prospect will be a Sandoval or Buttrey, and we can use those guys for our pen next year when we still hope to compete.

Edited by totdprods

19 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

35 50 Raider Uceta RF 18.5 HOU LAA (Stassi)
Big, strong, left guard build on an 18-year-old. Has pop, but perhaps no position.
35 51 Joe Jarneski RHP 19.8 CHW TEX (Jones, Int’l $)
Velo is in the 86-90 range as he returns from TJ.
35 52 Rainier Rivas OF 18.1 HOU LAA (Stassi)
Slightly less big and strong version of Uceta.

Among the prospects traded at the deadline -- FG ranked Uceta and Rivas 50th and 52nd.

There is also this article...   https://blogs.fangraphs.com/instagraphs/angels-acquire-stassi-still-have-trout/

Uceta is unlikely to be able to stay in the outfield long-term, and Rivas is likely destined for a corner spot if he does. Both are about 35 FV organizational types. These are the kinds of prospects you get when you’re trying to trade for Max Stassi. They could make the majors, but they probably won’t,

Obviously it's just the opinion of the writer at FGs but, neither guy is seen as a anything more than a potential lotto ticket.

They still have a non-zero chance of having major league impact down the road. Stassi should be acquired for guys like Jordan Zimmerman, Bo Way, etc. Aka purely organizational depth and nothing more. I can't possibly imagine a below replacement level backup catcher commanding more than that. 

2 hours ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

Calhoun has 24 home runs and elite defense. I find it very hard to believe a NL contender would have no interest in him.

Well the Phillies got Corey Dickerson for cash considerations. 

The Indians got Puig so they didn’t need Calhoun. 

The Cubs gave up two middling prospects for Castellanos.

The Braves didn’t get anyone so obviously they didn’t feel that was a primary need. 

Who else could have used Calhoun?

I think the Kinsler trade is going to turn out to be an exceptionally good one for Eppler, since normally those kind of trades net very little. 

Being conservative at this specific time isn't bad. With apparently no deals that would make a short or long term impact, best thing is to try and use the rest of the season as an extended audition period. 

Obviously while still in mathematical WC contention they have to try their best to win every game. But the debacle against Baltimore/Detroit effectively took the wind out of any optimistic sails. 

If they drop to .500 or below in the next few weeks then it's time to experiment. Move players around to get a clue about playing unfamiliar positions.Calhoun,  Goodwin or Upton at first, mix and match the infielders differently, spot start some of the bullpen, call up a few from the minors. Etc. 

I would even consider sitting Trout later in the season. No need to risk injury in meaningless games. But his MVP push might be the main appeal for many watching the team, so I doubt they will intentionally restrict his opportunities to build his numbers even higher. 

This is the reality. All priorities should shift to next year and beyond very soon. A lot to sort out before the off season trading and signing begins, so accept the facts and act accordingly.

Once Again, the Angels have decided to dwell in mediocrity. They absolutely should have traded away some of their players for prospects that can help them next year and beyond. They should have tanked and went for the better draft pick. They will not make the playoffs this year and will not make the World Series so why not get players that can help them in the future and in the process of losing, they can get a better draft pick for next year?

3 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Just realized the Tigers are also paying a chunk of Castellanos’ contract, just to get the 16th and 23rd prospects in a bad farm system. 

The Angels didn’t miss an opportunity by not giving away Calhoun. 

6 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Well the Phillies got Corey Dickerson for cash considerations. 

The Indians got Puig so they didn’t need Calhoun. 

The Braves didn’t get anyone so obviously they didn’t feel that was a primary need. 

Who else could have used Calhoun?

I think the Kinsler trade is going to turn out to be an exceptionally good one for Eppler, since normally those kind of trades net very little. 

Not to mention that the Angels will have more teams to talk with in the off-season where Calhoun could potentially develop a real market (or stay with the Angels).

1 minute ago, ettin said:

Not to mention that the Angels will have more teams to talk with in the off-season where Calhoun could potentially develop a real market (or stay with the Angels).

What happens when we pick up his option and there is no market for him?

I have no idea what went on behind the scenes, but it isn't hard to imagine Eppler's thinking.

He was open to buying, but only for 2020 and beyond.

He was open to selling, but only for 2020 and beyond.

None of the players he would have liked to unload have any trade value--Cahill, Garcia, Lucroy, Bour, Cozart.

The teams of the players he wanted--starters like Matthew Boyd with club control for at least a couple years--were asking for the moon, so he decided that given the fact that the Angels are only on the fringe of contention, he'd rather pay the less-expensive offseason cost and/or focus on free agency.

The bullpen is largely comprised of youngish, club and/or cost-controlled pitchers. Guys that can help the team win in 2020+.

Calhoun is a unique case. I'm sure Eppler would have accepted a decent enough offer, but presumably he didn't receive one good enough to offset the clubhouse price. But I'm guessing he didn't want to sell low for human reasons: he's an integral part of the team. They aren't 100% out of it, they did just lose a team-mate a month ago, and Kole is a clubhouse and fan favorite. It is one thing not picking his option up during the offseason when you have a top prospect in the wings, hugging him on his way out as he sets off towards the horizon, quite another just dumping him for a fringe prospect mid-season a few weeks after a player died.

I was a bit surprised he didn't trade Goodwin, but that also makes sense as insurance if Adell struggles early next year. Goodwin can still be traded later.

And finally Max Stassi. I didn't like it at first, and I also must admit I wish he had kept one of those guys if only for their cool names, but the more I've looked into it, the more I think this was a good move. Stassi is, at worst, Martin Maldonado. The Angels could do much worse than a Maldonado-Smith platoon next year. But there's also some untapped potential in his bat. It is a bit of a clean peanut trade, but one that could yield nice results.

4 hours ago, beatlesrule said:

Once Again, the Angels have decided to dwell in mediocrity. They absolutely should have traded away some of their players for prospects that can help them next year and beyond. They should have tanked and went for the better draft pick. They will not make the playoffs this year and will not make the World Series so why not get players that can help them in the future and in the process of losing, they can get a better draft pick for next year?

Ok what offers did they turn down for their players that they kept?