• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Should Eppler have done something significant before the trade deadline?

Torridd

7 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

My biggest problem is that we are wallowing in mediocrity. Either be good or be bad being 500 gets you nothing. You don't make the playoffs and you don't get a high draft pick. We have the best player in baseball and we are satisfied with being 3rd or 4th place consistently.

We didn’t have a high draft pick and he drafted Adell with the pick who is a top 5 prospect in the game. 

Supposed to be a strong draft next year.  Right now, Angels would pick at 15.  I would assume that by the time September rolls around, the arms of our remaining pitchers will have fallen off, and the losing will begin in earnest.  Top ten, here we come!!!

And may there be a STRONG college pitching prospect ranked in the top dozen picks.   Need a pitcher drafted in 2020 who will only need at most a year or so of minor league ball, since the pleathora of pitching talent at A and rookie levels is still 3-4 years away and they already have a pleathora of OFer and INFer prospects.    

Did i want him to, heck yes... was it feasable, i dont know.  The pieces seem to be absurd to get what we wanted and the parts we had to offer seemed to have no value so... as disappointed as i am after sleeping on it i guess the answer is what could he have actually done. 
Trading Kole for a box of balls doesnt really help, trading a bullpen guy for a couple prospects only puts us further away.

That having been said however, he got his work cut out for him bigtime if we are to actually compete in the next 2 years, i dont see prices falling and Hou certainly isnt coming back to the pack and with the farm taking a step back, hes going to have to figure something out or were going to be looking at more 500 baseball.

13 minutes ago, nate said:

Lol, one player, cool.

Top 10 draft picks are much more successful historically than top 20.

Know how many top 5 picks in the last ten years have ended up as a top 5 prospect?   5...   Harper, Dylan Bundy, Correa, Buxton, and Dansby Swanson.

Yeah, top 10 picks tend to fair better.   But the "LOL one player", is just a stupid comment -- congrats.

Biggest disappointment for me is that Calhoun is still on the team. Yeah, we were not going to get a SP for the guy but he is gone at the end of this year.  Get anything for the guy (a RP single or double A guy with high SO total)....anything and then get Adell into the lineup in September and see if he is ready for 2020.  Now we will have a hole in RF to fill next year with two options: 1. In house with an unproven Adell and Brian "has had four good months in his career" Goodwin or 2. Go dumpster dive for a RF with options.....  I really just wanted that RF spot ironed out before spring training 2020 and we had a shot to do that with calling up Adell.  I doubt he gets that shot now which stinks.

Would have been nice just going into the offseason with the pitching staff to focus on. 

The Max Stassi  acquisition was a head scratcher considering the fact that he has no options left but whatever....it is clear that Eppler has some weird fetish with finding backup catchers.  

1 minute ago, stevestevens said:

Biggest disappointment for me was that Calhoun is still on the team. Yeah, we were not going to get a SP for the guy but he is gone at the end of this year.  Get anything for the guy (a RP single or double A guy with high SO total)....anything and then get Adell into the lineup in September and see if he is ready for 2020.  Now we will have a hole in RF to fill next year with two options: 1. Inhouse with an unproven Adell and Brian "has had four good months in his career" Goodwin or 2. Go dumpster dive for a RF with options.....  I really just wanted that RF spot ironed out before spring training 2020 and we had a shot to do that with calling up Adell.  I doubt he gets that shot now which stinks.

Would have been nice just going into the offseason with the pitching staff to focus on. 

The Max Stassi  acquisition was a head scratcher considering the fact that he has no options left but whatever....it is clear that Eppler has some weird fetish with finding backup catchers.  

Agreed except that Stassi might supply a benefit in handling pitchers, framing, and preventing WPs.  Plus just a year ago in 80+ games, he put up a .710 OPS.

5 minutes ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

Calhoun has 24 home runs and elite defense. I find it very hard to believe a NL contender would have no interest in him.

Exactly my feeling, but those in the know suggest that has no value in todays market.   I find it hard to believe we couldn't have upped that value by eating part of the money like Ari did with Grienke, but thats not wholly moot. 

1 hour ago, Kevinb said:

My biggest problem is that we are wallowing in mediocrity. Either be good or be bad being 500 gets you nothing. You don't make the playoffs and you don't get a high draft pick. We have the best player in baseball and we are satisfied with being 3rd or 4th place consistently.

Well we the fans aren’t happy being in 3 or 4 th place but apparently Mr. Moreno is and Appler as well, I don’t blame everything on Appler as he has to do what Moreno tell him, if he says go get an49 cent taco at Del Taco he has to get it because Moreno said to do it. We will never get to be in the playoffs or World Series while he is getting 49 cent taco instead of investing in a steak. Appler should be getting tired of the same crap every year, that I would just quit. Appler needs to stand up to Moreno and tell Moreno either we do it my way and build a championship team or I walk. I’m not saying go crazy and spend, but invest in some pitching that they really need badly and another catcher that can hit not make an out every time they come to bat as the pitchers will walk the batter so they can pitch to the catcher.’I hope this offseason will be a great one but I think it will still be the 49 cent tacos

3 minutes ago, REDneck said:

I would like them to exercise Calhoun's option next year.

If we get the other pieces (pitching) I think Calhoun would still be valuable to us next year. Get him some time at 1b to get Adell his AB's.

If they're not going to pick up the option than I don't understand why he wasn't traded.

And please no clubhouse chemistry or were still contending this year nonsense.

Need Calhoun's money towards Gerrit Cole and a second #3/#4 starter.

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

At those prices yes, he should have sold the entire bullpen. 

certainly Noe and Cam.  

Although I think the Skaggs tragedy had a lot more to do with not selling than anything would be said publicly.  

I am surprised that Lucroy wasn't moved if he was drawing actual interest.  

2 minutes ago, REDneck said:

I would like them to exercise Calhoun's option next year.

If we get the other pieces (pitching) I think Calhoun would still be valuable to us next year. Get him some time at 1b to get Adell his AB's.

If they're not going to pick up the option than I don't understand why he wasn't traded.

And please no clubhouse chemistry or were still contending this year nonsense.

That 14 million needs to be spent on the best free agent starting pitching we can get. Goodwin is a good placeholder in right field until Adell takes over.

Unfortunately, it would not surprise me if the option was picked up, and we once again went dumpster diving for starting pitching.