• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

They had a shot

This is half on Eppler for not giving a shit about having good starting pitching and the other half on our lineup who has had moments of success with the bat, only to havr shit the bed overall against what is a mediocre O's pitching staff.

They never had a shot this season. Both Cahill and Harvey were dumpster fires right out of the gate then Skaggs death ended the rotation for the season.

They do not have a starting rotation. They have not had a starting rotation all season. They have had fill ins and openers and a bunch of guys promoted before they were ready but not one damn week this season the Angels had five true starting pitchers. You can only go so long playing the Salt Lake shuttle before the league grinds them all into dust. 

For perspective, Tyler Skaggs stills has the most starts this season.

I really am curious how Eppler will straighten the shipwreck otherwise known as the rotation. One or two SPs aren’t going to do it. The rotation and depth are completely depleted. Each season it seems like we have depth and each season we blow right through it. The only way to fix it will be to use lots and lots of money and prospects. We can’t wait for anymore diamonds in the rough. Eppler needs to add at least one solid piece now and do the rest on the off-season. 

The reality is that Eppler has no idea how to build a pitching staff. This happens every single year, and by August everyone is ether injured or sucking and we start routinely giving up 7+ runs a game and the offense just can't catch up. We need a healthy Ohtani + Cole + a trade for Syndergaard or similar to even build the foundation of a decent staff, and then hope Suarez and Canning make major strides, because right now it's completely barren. 

8 minutes ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

The reality is that Eppler has no idea how to build a pitching staff. This happens every single year, and by August everyone is ether injured or sucking and we start routinely giving up 7+ runs a game and the offense just can't catch up. We need a healthy Ohtani + Cole + a trade for Syndergaard or similar to even build the foundation of a decent staff, and then hope Suarez and Canning make major strides, because right now it's completely barren. 

I mean to be fair Eppler can't control guys getting hurt (Heaney, Ohtani) or literally dying (Skaggs).

I do agree we need two starters, and one of them needs to be of the Cole or Syndergaard variety. Can't keep relying on reclamation projects off the scrap heap. 

Either trade for Grienke and his salary plus Ray and minimize the prospects dealt, or sign Cole and trade for a solid mid-rotation guy.

They for sure need two solid guys.  Then they can build the rest of the rotation from Ohtani, Heaney, Canning, Suarez, Pena, Barria, and Sandoval (the ones not traded).

No more one year plug in acquisitions, except for AAAA depth!   Four years of that is enough!

5 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

This is half on Eppler for not giving a shit about having good starting pitching and the other half on our lineup who has had moments of success with the bat, only to havr shit the bed overall against what is a mediocre O's pitching staff.

...and the pitchers to allow so many hits/runs to a decidedly inferior offense.

19 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I mean to be fair Eppler can't control guys getting hurt (Heaney, Ohtani) or literally dying (Skaggs).

I do agree we need two starters, and one of them needs to be of the Cole or Syndergaard variety. Can't keep relying on reclamation projects off the scrap heap. 

What really hurt this year (besides the tragic passing of Skaggs) are the two failed reclamation projects Cahill and Harvey, the continuing injuries to Heaney, and then you have to bring up guys (Canning, Suarez) before their time. I remember we were thinking of Canning as someone to save our season. Really?! The whole thing is a mess. That has to be fixed big time before we can hope for playoff success. That's a million miles away right now.

I think this was a perfect year to let Canning and Suarez take their bumps. I mean that's entirely hindsight talking but better to get them as many innings as possible against MLB hitters. I expect much more from Canning next year. Suarez may need more time but we'll see. I also think Barria is much better than his ERA indicates.

5 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

...and the pitchers to allow so many hits/runs to a decidedly inferior offense.

Actually, the Orioles gave been swinging hot bats since the break. When you trot out Tropeano and Peters you can’t expect to win. There is no starting pitching at AAA and nothing remotely ready at AA. Time to hit up the Indy leagues.