• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 MLB Trade Deadline Thread

48 minutes ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

20 million a year for Myers, Allen, and a pitching prospect?

I'd say that's money well spent.

I don't.

Myers is owed $70M through 2022 and would add no value to our roster. He would eat up most of the available $$ we have to spend in the offseason.

It would be a horrible move.

7 minutes ago, Lou said:

I don't.

Myers is owed $70M through 2022 and would add no value to our roster. He would eat up most of the available $$ we have to spend in the offseason.

It would be a horrible move.

Even if Myers were to be released, we would get our future starting catcher, and a future starting pitcher, both of which we desperately need.

If Myers is that bad, maybe we can get two pitchers from the Padres.

It's certainly money well spent better than Harvey, Cahill, and Allen.

1 hour ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

Trade Calhoun to San Diego for Wil Myers, relieving the Padres of Myers' contract, and target catcher Austin Allen and/or a pitching prospect.

Myers can share first base with Pujols, and be the 4th outfielder behind Upton, Trout, and Adell.

My first thought was no, his contract is awful, then I looked at Myers’ numbers this year, and went helllll no.

Then I looked at his numbers before this year, and noticed the positions he’s playing, and...I understand the reasoning. He could be a useful piece providing depth as a super sub at all the corners, and maybe a change of scenery and move to AL helps since the NL West is pretty brutal and stacked with great pitching...

...but that contract is awful. Sweetening the deal with a catcher makes sense - but he’s not so bad that the Padres would have to add a good pitching prospect as well. More realistically would be they eat a few mil, bringing him down to ~$15m AAV, which would still be a really gross salary for that length, but would at least keep it from being among some of the worst in baseball, and if he comes back around to a 100+ OPS, not the worst. 

Creative but a lot would have to break right and Eppler would have to really have the right data on Myers for me to feel good with it, especially since his track record for acquiring bats is not good. 

Paying one meh player ~$15m AAV to be the back-up 1B/3B/LF/RF instead of 2-3 players something similar to take up that many spots and potentially be just as meh isn’t the craziest, but we don’t seem to be in that position anymore with our AAA depth.

Edited by totdprods

Also, I don’t think the Padres have much use for Calhoun.

Myers is the sort of player that could get worked in with a 3-way deal though. Those are almost impossible to theorize. Maybe the Padres and Tigers? Sitting in traffic so not researching this one much.

• Tigers get bats that they need - one of Ward/Thaiss, one of Franmil Reyes/Hunter Renfroe, a good, legit SP prospect from SD, and maybe a lesser 4th hitting prospect from LAA
  • Padres get Boyd, who they’ve had interest in, and Calhoun to replace the OF dealt and keep them in contention. 
  • Angels get Myers, a young pitcher either from SD/DET that is good and has potential, but is not elite, and depending on Myers’ money absorbed or quality of pitcher they acquire, one of SD’s catchers (Hedges, Allen, Mejia) 

Couldn’t quite pin down which arm the Angels could get or even from which organization. Thinking broadly, Daniel Norris, Luis Perdomo, a lesser SD SP prospect akin to Madero/Castillo, or a Detroit reliever who hasn’t dominated but has potential and more importantly options and club control. 

Myers wouldn’t be too bad if the Angels got a very legit long-term catcher - take your pick of those three - and a legitimate arm back, but I can’t see San Diego being the team that gives us both. 

Perdomo or Norris both come with a lot of interesting upside still. Only 26. Useful even if they just remain their current state. If you could pry away a SD catcher too, any of the three also have upside, the Angels could wind up big winners. They can always try and flip Myers if he has a strong year too.

Edited by totdprods

2 hours ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

Wil Myers is better than Pujols, BTW.

He is still only 28, 23 HRs last 566 at bats, higher OBP than Pujols, and can steal bases very well.

Why are you comparing him to Pujols? He has nothing to do with this. Why not compare him to Trout. 

Btw . . .

• Pujols has a higher bWAR than Myers. 
  • Pujols has 23 HRs in his last 487 ABs. 
  • Pujols has a higher slugging %
  • Pujols has a higher OPS. 

1 hour ago, Lou said:

Why are you comparing him to Pujols? He has nothing to do with this. Why not compare him to Trout. 

Btw . . .

• Pujols has a higher bWAR than Myers. 
  • Pujols has 23 HRs in his last 487 ABs. 
  • Pujols has a higher slugging %
  • Pujols has a higher OPS. 

I'm comparing him to Pujols because Wil Myers would play first base in the unlikely scenario he were traded to the Angels.

4 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Predictions:

Astros acquire Ray, Yankees acquire Smith and Bumgarner, Angels acquire Stroman - and I’ll go a step further and guess they also land Lyles or Liriano from Pittsburgh, maybe both.

Indians hold onto Bauer. Angels keep Calhoun.

you're just feeling some serious trade juju aren't you?  

12 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I think you're gonna be disappointed.  

Think Drew Smyly or Mike Leake.  

They’re goin to buy - the year we got Upton and Phillips the team played well and Eppler said he felt they deserved a boost. 

Same things happening now and there’s even more need and more prospects to work with.

2 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

MLB Network just mentioned the Angels as "front-runners" to land Mike Minor. So take that with a grain of salt.

They’re one team I could see placing higher value on the quintet of Ward, Thaiss, Walsh, Rojas, and Hermosillo.

That org is so starved of pitching across the whole farm that the Angels might be able to go for a quantity over quality offer and basically say “any two or three arms from Burlington or Inland Empire not named Yan or Soriano” and find a match.

Edited by totdprods