• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Robot Umpires' Debut in Atlantic League ASG

Lou

I think what none of you are taking into account is this is a system in it's testing phase. From articles I've read about tracking systems is there is a degree of error inherent in the tracking depending on what type of pitch is thrown. The more difficult part of this is they found it was not consistent from one season to the next. Enter variables like change in the baseball itself and how it's signature is tracked. 

Whatever the case these systems are being beta tested and like and video game you've played that was beta it had many flaws that get patched. The Atlantic league is meaningless in terms of baseball win/loss outcome. It is a training facility to develop players. So the testing on minor league players is as appropriate as lab testing of white mice. The end results are what is important not the collateral damage to test subject #7 of the Applilacian Hillbillies. 

The earliest you will see this probably hit MLB will be three years. By then player profiles will all be loaded into the system and there won't be a generic little box as a one size fits all players on your TV screen so you won't be screaming that pitch was low or high depending on whether Aaron Judge or Jose Altuve is at the plate. 

It's coming. It will work. It still will leave you upset because your off angle TV camera on it's near fully extended focal length will still make the pitch look like it traveled on a different path. And you can all argue Angel Hernandez wouldn't have blown that call. And we will all get a laugh out of it. 

I'm just going to throw some numbers out here without doing any research. Let's say home plate umpires get balls and strikes right 85% of the time. Even if a robotic Strike Zone gets it right 88% of the time, it's still an improvement and should be implemented immediately.

Same goes if umpires get it right 92% of the time and the robotic strike zone gets it right 95% of the time.

19 minutes ago, #WeNasty said:

Thank you for confirming what I said about it being 95%+ accurate.  

For 2018, Ted Barrett and Joe West were the top poor performers, making 495 and 512 incorrect home plate calls, for an average of 17.7 and 16.5 errors per game, respectively.

I'm not the greatest at math but you're telling me that those UMPS were right 95% of the time despite that amount of wrong calls? 34,294 incorrect calls in 2018 is 95% right?

You seem to think Joe West and Ted Barret represent the median for umpires. News flash there are over 60 umpires in the major leagues. There are only two others that are close to as bad as those two, one is Angel Hernandez, the other CB Buckner. That leaves 56 other guys that are closer to 95% accurate or better. 

Look at Brooks baseball pitch fx sometime and count how many calls that were not borderline and incorrect then divide that number by the total pitches thrown. You are going to find most games with a 95% accuracy. I know because I've done it on nights everyone is bitching about umpire calls. 

The article says 14 wrong calls per game.   In 2010 the average pitch count per game was 290 pitches.  It certainly feels like today’s game with the 3 outcome trend is seeing more pitches thrown not less.  I could be wrong but if I asked any of you if you thought more pitches were thrown today versus 10 years ago I’d assume you’d say now. So that’s how I came up with over 95%.