• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Matt Thaiss Promoted

14 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

Surprisingly good if he were to be an every-day guy at 3rd from what the regulars in the Minor League thread have seen. @totdprods @Angelsjunky @Second Base @Dochalo @Inside Pitch

I've watched him plenty.  He looks AMAZING for someone that just learned the position this year.  Like he should've been there all along, except he became a pretty good defensive 1B too.  

Now if we're comparing him to a natural third baseman, it'd be less favorable, though not damning.  Thaiss' footwork has not allowed for extended range at the hot corner, but his reactions are as good if not better than most natural 3B.  He's outstanding leaving his feet, has a sure glove and his arm gets the job done.  His release is quicker than most third baseman you'd see (probably got it from catching) but his arm isn't as great.  Thaiss isn't as good as Fletcher moving laterally, but he's been fine coming in.  Their arms grade out about the same.  

But all in all, I'd consider Thaiss a slightly below average defender at 3B right now (think David Freese when he was an Angel), with the chance to be an above average defender in a year or two. 

4 minutes ago, Second Base said:

But seriously, how big of a win will that be if Thaiss takes 3B and runs with it? Back in the draft, there was question whether his bat would play up. If it does, and the Angels got Marsh in the 2nd round....that would be amazing. 

and Rodriguez in the 4th.  Damn that guy needs to get healthy.  

10 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I've watched Thaiss dince the moment the Angels started him, and they're are three things he does more of than pretty much everyone.

1. Hit doubles in the gaps. 

2. Line out to the 1B.

3. Walk.

He did two of three in his first MLB game.

If he learns to elevate this, he could be very dangerous.  

14 hours ago, Second Base said:

I've watched him plenty.  He looks AMAZING for someone that just learned the position this year.  Like he should've been there all along, except he became a pretty good defensive 1B too.  

Now if we're comparing him to a natural third baseman, it'd be less favorable, though not damning.  Thaiss' footwork has not allowed for extended range at the hot corner, but his reactions are as good if not better than most natural 3B.  He's outstanding leaving his feet, has a sure glove and his arm gets the job done.  His release is quicker than most third baseman you'd see (probably got it from catching) but his arm isn't as great.  Thaiss isn't as good as Fletcher moving laterally, but he's been fine coming in.  Their arms grade out about the same.  

But all in all, I'd consider Thaiss a slightly below average defender at 3B right now (think David Freese when he was an Angel), with the chance to be an above average defender in a year or two. 

Short version....

He's been the anti-Trumbo.

Actually been a surprise.

Edited by Inside Pitch

8 hours ago, Dochalo said:

If he learns to elevate this, he could be very dangerous.  

He has been v working on that, which is why he's starting with his hands low, but I think his first MLB game, he simply went with what came natural to him. Once the game slows down for him, I think we'll see that turn into an extra base hit.