• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Most surprising stat involving the Angels or an Angels player this season?

mmc

10 minutes ago, Tank said:

it's purely about la stella for me. never heard of this guy anywhere prior to him being acquired last winter, and figured he was just another maicer izturis type.

I would of been happy with a Macier Izturis type but so far he is much better. 

2 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

I would of been happy with a Macier Izturis type but so far he is much better. 

his power has especially been a welcome surprise, but everything else about him is terrific so far. la stella has been a great pick up by eppy.

The posts about La Stella at the end of the first week of April are humorous to look at now. After 9 games, he was hitting .143 with a .404 OPS. He was in a three-way tie for most hated Angel with Bour & Cozart.

In his next 49 games, he hit .333 with 13 HR's, 35 RBI's & a .559 Slg Pct. 

We haven't seen numbers like that from an Angels' 2B since Bobby Grich in 79 & 81.

LaStella-much better than expected

Fletcher-seems to be getting better offensively/his defense is surprising

Regifo-looks like he can play at the major league level

Cozart, Pujols, Cahill, Harvey, Skaggs, Lucroy (defense)-how bad can it get? 

46 minutes ago, eligrba said:

LaStella-much better than expected

Fletcher-seems to be getting better offensively/his defense is surprising

Regifo-looks like he can play at the major league level

Cozart, Pujols, Cahill, Harvey, Skaggs, Lucroy (defense)-how bad can it get? 

Why is Fletchers defense surprising? I thought that was the one “for sure” thing about him, but they weren’t sure how his bat would play. 

Im going a different route. I never thought Bour  would play as bad as he did. I was seriously rooting for the guy (I still want him to do well) and totally wasn’t expecting the terrible play. 

15 minutes ago, Kody Mac said:

Why is Fletchers defense surprising? I thought that was the one “for sure” thing about him, but they weren’t sure how his bat would play. 

Im going a different route. I never thought Bour  would play as bad as he did. I was seriously rooting for the guy (I still want him to do well) and totally wasn’t expecting the terrible play. 

I knew it was good, but his defense at shortstop has been excellent, which was unexpected for me.

5 hours ago, floplag said:

30 wins...
Sorry to be debbie downer but after the come back the other day i was hoping this club was starting to turn the corner then 2 shit the bed outings and we suck again.  Sometimes i question the teams heart.  

In all seriousness what does a comeback have to do with turning a corner? Offensively the Angels are very good and soon to get better when Upton is infused into the lineup. 

Giving up nine runs that game doesn’t instill confidence in the pitching turning a corner  but yea I get your point. 

3 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

In all seriousness what does a comeback have to do with turning a corner? Offensively the Angels are very good and soon to get better when Upton is infused into the lineup. 

Giving up nine runs that game doesn’t instill confidence in the pitching turning a corner  but yea I get your point. 

A game which people were already planning for position player to be pitching the later innings that ends up a win is a huge momentum turn.  You see this kind of thing all the time where its a game like that or a brawl or something unexpected that jump starts or energizes a team and they go on a roll.  I had hoped that they would ride the momentum from that isnt a bit of a streak, clearly that hope was misplaced. 

1 hour ago, floplag said:

A game which people were already planning for position player to be pitching the later innings that ends up a win is a huge momentum turn.  You see this kind of thing all the time where its a game like that or a brawl or something unexpected that jump starts or energizes a team and they go on a roll.  I had hoped that they would ride the momentum from that isnt a bit of a streak, clearly that hope was misplaced. 

You do know that words like momentum and clutch do not belong in today’s analytics. 

Maybe not the most surprising stat, but a couple of interesting ones involving Albert. The first one is he has 11 walks & 5 strikeouts in his last 19 games putting him at almost a 1 to 1 ratio for the year. He hasn't had more walks than strikeouts since he left the Cardinals, and the last couple of years he's been averaging about 2.5 strikeouts for each walk. The second one I noticed is in the first 6 innings of games this year, he's putting up very solid numbers batting .277, slugging .553 with an OPS of .907. From the seventh inning on he becomes a completely different hitter only batting .154, slugging .262 with an OPS of .494. 

2 hours ago, gurn67 said:

Maybe not the most surprising stat, but a couple of interesting ones involving Albert. The first one is he has 11 walks & 5 strikeouts in his last 19 games putting him at almost a 1 to 1 ratio for the year. He hasn't had more walks than strikeouts since he left the Cardinals, and the last couple of years he's been averaging about 2.5 strikeouts for each walk. The second one I noticed is in the first 6 innings of games this year, he's putting up very solid numbers batting .277, slugging .553 with an OPS of .907. From the seventh inning on he becomes a completely different hitter only batting .154, slugging .262 with an OPS of .494. 

Hes an opener

4 hours ago, gurn67 said:

Perhaps he struggles with the relievers and their fastballs? I'd guess that other players would have the same struggles, but I'm totally too lazy to look that up. (This posting shit is exhausting.  Going back to lurking.)

I do particularly enjoy the fact that Poo-holes is taking walks again. 

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

A .777 OPS so far from Pujols, after two very mediocre seasons, was very unexpected from me.

Stella’s season so far though is the real shocker.

Crazy that a 106 OPS+ feels like a win but, here we are..

June has always been AP's best month as an Angel , hopefully it carries over beyond it.  But he's been much more prone to take pitches and while he is still pull happy, his hard hit ball% is at a career high.  His soft hit ball% is also, but it's seemed like he's dropped more bloops the other way this year.

Hopefully he's finally learned how to live with what he can do these days.