• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Dodgers

Glen

their secret sauce is actually to spend a shit ton of money on player development and analytics.  

something the Halos have quietly started doing the last couple years.  

The dogs have also had a significant intl presence.  Also something the Angels have been beefing up.  

They did something really smart in 2012 when the new ownership group took over.  I remember we had several discussions on this board and most were wondering what the hell they were doing.  

They just spend their way back to player development.  It's essentially what the Halos have done the last three plus years but add 50-100m in payroll.  They were able to use money to stay competitive while the farm system was rebuild and it worked.  

like some have said though, what they did isn't really an option for most teams.  It's interesting from a baseball standpoint because they rightly identified their strengths and market opportunities and used them to their advantage.  

2 minutes ago, Bumpy Grimes said:

Most fans don't care about the payroll numbers. They care about whether the team is winning or not.

Arte's plan is to let Eppler rebuild the farm system. He's been very hands off with Eppler, more so than he seemed to be with previous GMs. Extending Trout required Arte's approval, but he didn't just do that to "pacify the fans." It's part of the Angels' long-term goals to build a winning organization.

I completely agree that Trout was part of his long term plan and it needed to get done but there were plenty of people right here extremely excited because the luxury tax threshold was raised. Why is that? The new threshold only helps teams that take advantage of it. Case in point the Dodgers and Yankees.

15 minutes ago, Calzone 2 said:

Doesn’t every team have to play by the same rules. I don’t give a hoot how the Dodgers are getting it done. When you win six division titles in a row and most likely another one you’re doing something right. They spend money and they’re filling the seats. It’s working for them. 

Yeah, every team CAN ATTEMPT to emulate this but only one or two teams have the resources to essentially throw money into a furnace for 4 seasons.  You saying "but the Dodgers did it" is meaningless. It was dumb, they knew it was dumb, and it was so dumb they stopped doing it as soon as they could.  How dumb was it exactly?  "Paying your closer $20 million per season" dumb...paying Rich Hill $19 million dumb...paying Matt Kemp $22 million dumb.  Over a billion dollars and no World Series to show for it.  Now?  They are being less dumb as they've paired their payroll down to $197,000,000. .

1 minute ago, mulwin444 said:

Yeah, every team CAN ATTEMPT to emulate this but only one or two teams have the resources to essentially throw money into a furnace for 4 seasons.  You saying "but the Dodgers did it" is meaningless. It was dumb, they knew it was dumb, and it was so dumb they stopped doing it as soon as they could.  How dumb was it exactly?  "Paying your closer $20 million per season" dumb...paying Rich Hill $19 million dumb...paying Matt Kemp $22 million dumb.  Over a billion dollars and no World Series to show for it.  Now?  They are being less dumb as they've paired their payroll down to $197,000,000. .

Are you trying for dumbest post of the year?

FFS

24 minutes ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

Let’s get down to brass tacks, what do the dodgers charge for beer and parking?

$25 to park ($18 if you buy it online).

the guy walking around selling cans of beer had two or three varities. the least expensive was $13.50 and went as high as $18 per can.

2 hours ago, Jason said:

When you have unlimited funds to spend on players you damn well better be good

This really isnt fair right now though, they arent a bunch of high prices FA getting it done.  Some high priced pitching yes, but position wise their highest paid non pitcher is turner at 18M.  After that its Pederson at 5.   They have 4 starting pitchers making 18 or more.
Their rotation salary this year is roughly 90M, or half of thier Total AAV. 

40 minutes ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

I don’t think too many people called 2004-2009 a failure rather it was a letdown given how talented some of those teams were. They won the division 5 out of 6 of those years yet had 0 World Series appearances to show for it.  

In that case, the Dodgers are a letdown because that's almost the exact situation that they've been in.

2 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

If they make the Series and face the Astros, can you imagine the pressure on them not to blow it? When's the last time a team lost three straight World Series? I can't recall.

I don't think it's ever happened to anybody.   Not even with how often the Skanks beat them in the WS in the 1940s and 1950s.  

Edit: Mulwin is right that the 1911-1913 Giants pulled off the trifecta WS losses.   Also, the 1907-1909 Tigers pulled it off.

Except they’ve been to two World Series and are currently one of the best teams in the league. Whatever the reasons ($ spent, player development) they’ve stayed competitive and look like they will be for the next few years. If 10 years from now they’ve only been to the playoffs once and have nothing to show for it then I agree it will be a similar situation with the exceptions being they spent more and went further. 

19 minutes ago, floplag said:

This really isnt fair right now though, they arent a bunch of high prices FA getting it done.  Some high priced pitching yes, but position wise their highest paid non pitcher is turner at 18M.  After that its Pederson at 5.   They have 4 starting pitchers making 18 or more.
Their rotation salary this year is roughly 90M, or half of thier Total AAV. 

And yet, it's the hitting outdoing the pitching so far.   Bellinger and Pederson are sick MOFOs, both on pace for 50+ HRs.    iirc, that's happened only once in MLB history (Maris and Mantle in 1961)?

7 minutes ago, Taylor said:

In that case, the Dodgers are a letdown because that's almost the exact situation that they've been in.

Going to 2 straight World Series is not the same as going to zero World Series.

And their six straight division titles is going to become seven straight division titles.

1 minute ago, yk9001 said:

Could be starting pitching era

http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/pitching/split/127

Or their hitting

http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/batting

They are just stupid dumb all around

Lol @ all of the people trying to point out that it’s because the Dodgers have the resources to win. Meanwhile the casual fans attend all of the press conferences and yell Thank you Arte. 

They have a dude who is in Rookie of the Year conversation every single year. First it was Puig. Then it was Pederson. Then it was Seager.  Then Bellinger. Then Beuhler.  This year it's Alex Verdugo.  

Not to mention turning mediocre players into good one's like they did with Turner, Taylor, Muncy.

Their player development is just ridiculous 

There were actually people on this board that doubted Arte would extend Trout? I didn't think it was a 100% done deal but definitely thought it would probably happen. 

The Dodgers have smarter people in charge than the Angels pure and simple. Smarter than a lot of teams. That price for parking is insane though. There is also no where to park for free and walk in like I do when I go to Angels games.

I would pay $18 to park though if it meant the Angels were as good as the Dodgers.

I think Houston is the best team in baseball and of course that could change with the trade deadline and injuries but right now they are my world series favorites.