• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

If we are going to buy...

9 minutes ago, ScottT said:

I don't see them blowing out a few prospects for a two month rental, but they could add a guy that'll be around next year too.

I this, because of what we saw last offseason and with free agency, this has some likelihood. Acquire some help this deadline for next year, in case we get skunked in FA again. And if we are able to add still in the offseason with a big FA SP, even better.

7 minutes ago, ScottT said:

I don't see them blowing out a few prospects for a two month rental, but they could add a guy that'll be around next year too.

acquisition cost of know quantities tends to be higher at the trade deadline.  I don't see us getting a  long term asset because of that.  

Any team that makes the playoffs could win.  We could be anyone in a 7 game series with our offense.  I'm not inclined to have them dump a bunch of prospects on that possibility.  But if we get there, I think teams shouldn't take us lightly.  

If it were me, this team would be re-shaping for 2020 and beyond. This would require both selling and buying at the deadline.

First things first, both Cahill and Harvey move to the bullpen immediately so that teams can get a glimpse of the relief version of Cahill and the velocity Harvey brings in the bullpen. The rotation for June and July would be Skaggs, Heaney, Canning, Pena and Suarez/Barria/Tropeano

I'd sell Calhoun, Goodwin, Lucroy, Allen, Harvey, Cahill, Bedrosian and one of Thaiss, Walsh and Ward.

I'd be willing to negotiate with teams interested in La Stella and Skaggs, but only at the right price. 

And then I'd be buying. Two mid/front of the-rotation starters that are controllable at least through 2020. This is going to cost quite the prospect haul, but by selling the 8-10 players I listed above, I'm thinking the farm system should end up with minimal losses overall. 

4 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

OMG! I have been corrected 4 times now and I already made a post acknowledging it. 3 out of 4. Okay, I get it. It's still not a reason to be a buyer.

I know, which is why I said that.   The reason to be a buyer had less to do with wining 3 out of 4 against a bad team and more to do with no other team running away with anything at this point.  Something that shouldn’t be understated is how high the cost acquisition will be with all of the teams still in it.  We are 2 games out of the 2nd wild card and really there is only one good team ahead of us, Boston.  I think Cleveland will be sellers.  Texas will fall off as will the White Sox.  Boston is good, but stranger things have happened.  Personally I would only buy pieces that would be around for 2 plus years.  

15 hours ago, wopphil said:

Who do we go after? This team is such a tease. Stretches of brilliance followed by equal stretches of mediocrity. But I think they could compete with a few right moves. 

So who do they target? I am thinking one starter and one pen arm. Who could potentially be available and wouldn't cost us a core player or top prospect?

Scherzer? Strasburg? Greinke?

We should stick to going after starters, we have JC Ramirez, and Middleton due to return sometime after the All Star Break.

14 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I heard that he's ready and in shape and that he may only need a couple minor league rehab starts. 

Supposedly hes been pitching full simulated games every 5 days... i dont think he needs that long to get ready.  maybe a few starts on the farm at most.
Ive never been real high on the guy, still arent, and i suspect he will be far more interested in going to a contender not on the fringe so im thinking its moot... BUT, if it got Harvey and Cahill out of here i would be fine with it as ive those guys stay in the rotation much longer any fringe hope we have will fade. 
Outside of this i would prefer to see them go after something that part of the long term plan, should they choose to buy.  Giving up farm guys for a rental this season would be stupid. 

12 hours ago, ScottT said:

I think they already proved to Trout that they are serious about making the playoffs more than once.  That played a factor in him signing up for 10 more years.

But signing a 31-year-old #3 starter will really show him they are serious.

9 hours ago, arch stanton said:

Maybe there’s no reason to be a buyer just yet but there’s sure as hell no reason to be a seller either 

I think that really depends upon the offer.  Anyone that is on their last year, including Calhoun is up for dealing In my opinion.  Also, with Simmons, Upton and Smith coming back some room will have to be made.

12 hours ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

Even if we kick Harvey and Cahill out of the rotation and make a wild card run, I don't like our chances of actually winning the World Series. 

Sell, sell, sell.

is that the only measuring stick?  If so then why ever bother? 
One thing i know to be true, no team has ever made the WS by missing the post.  And we an angel fans also know that once you get here anything can happen.NY and Bos will always outspend us and be favored over us, literally always.   If the only time you make the effort is if you have a clear path to the WS youre doing far more selling then you will ever buy.   

The Blue Jays are in selling mode. Especially intriguing are their two young starting pitcher veterans, Sanchez and Stroman.

Both with issues, but compounded by being on a bad team. Toronto probably wants prospects. Here's a look at things from their perspective.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/05/blue-jays-trade-rumors-marcus-stroman-aaron-sanchez.html