• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels will turn to ‘opener’ pitcher again Monday, with perhaps more to come

ANAHEIM — The Angels will be using an opener again for Félix Peña on Monday against the Minnesota Twins, and more could be on the way.

With the Angels’ starters struggling, Manager Brad Ausmus said he’s considered using openers for other pitchers, but isn’t quite ready to do it.

“We’ve actually talked about openers for everyone, theoretically,” Ausmus said. “It does make sense that the starter doesn’t have to face the top of the lineup as quickly or as often. We’ve talked about it theoretically, but I don’t know if it’s going to happen on a regular basis.”

Trevor Cahill, Matt Harvey and Tyler Skaggs have all struggled at times this season. So far the Angels have only used openers in front of Peña and Jaime Barría.

The Angels are 3-3 in those games. The opening pitcher has allowed one run in six innings, while the succeeding pitchers have a combined 4.82 ERA in those games, although that figure is inflated by one Barría outing in which he gave up seven runs in 1-2/3 innings. The succeeding pitcher has gone at least five innings in four of the six games.

Taylor Cole will get the nod to pitch in front of Peña on Monday. They have used Cam Bedrosian and Luke Bard in the other games.

COZART GETS A SHOT

Zack Cozart went 0 for 3, with a critical popup with runners at first and third and no outs on Sunday, failing to make much of one of his increasingly rare starts.

Cozart has started five of the 12 games since he came off the injured list, all against left-handed starters. He hadn’t started in a week.

Ausmus said Cozart has handled the lack of playing time well.

“He’s been a professional,” Ausmus said. “He’s been doing his work. Quite frankly, I hope he gets hot and he makes it an even tougher decision on who to play.”

Cozart is now hitting .131 with a .338 OPS.

Ausmus said he talked to Cozart about the situation during the past week, and Cozart understood that Tommy La Stella and David Fletcher have played well enough to keep him out of the lineup.

“He completely understood,” Ausmus said. “He’s been as professional as you can possibly be.”

ALSO

Andrew Heaney, who is rehabbing from elbow inflammation, is scheduled for 75 pitches for Triple-A Salt Lake on Monday. After that, it’s possible he’d be ready to rejoin the Angels rotation. Heaney is pitching the same day as Peña, so the simplest move would be for him to replace Peña in the rotation. …

The alma maters of two Angels won CIF Southern Section titles on Saturday. David Fletcher played at Cypress High which won the Division 1 title, and Griffin Canning played at Santa Margarita High, which won the Division 2 title.

UP NEXT

Angels (RHP Taylor Cole, 0-0, 4.91) vs. Twins (RHP Jake Odorizzi, 6-2, 3.63), 7 p.m., Fox Sports West

View the full article

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

The Rays are 27-17 this year and my guess is they are leading the league in games started by an opener with 13.  

Yeah the Rays only use an opener for their #4 and #5 starters. 

Morton, Snell and Glasnow all start. 

I just hope they don't do this with Canning or Suarez when he's brought up. Give these young kids a shot at least. I'm fine if they do this with Cahill, Harvey and Pena though. 

It just puts a big label on a pitcher, "this guy isn't very good."

Not crazy about it either. Maybe pitching talent has become watered down to the point that this is the new normal.

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

It just puts a big label on a pitcher, "this guy isn't very good."

Not crazy about it either. Maybe pitching talent has become watered down to the point that this is the new normal.

I think the label is exactly that right now, but this is so new that it could evolve into, this pitcher is young or on a pitch limit or an innings limit.  

Just now, floplag said:

True, but the one they have from being opened for isnt exactly valid either since its been artificially adjusted by facing lesser competition. 

Flop how is it any different?  He either faces those pitchers in the first inning or later in the game.  So if the goal is to get them to go through the line up 3 times, then instead of facing them a third time in the 5th inning they face them in the 6th inning, if they are pitching well enough to see them again.  

1 minute ago, RBM said:

I think we should look at this idea of having an opener from a historical perspective. 

The idea of a team having an opener in the 2010’s is really no different than the “idea” of having a closer was in the 1940’s or 1950’s. Back then a relief pitcher was a former starting pitcher who was no longer effective in that role and at the end of his career or sometimes a pitcher not established enough to be a starter. Guys like Roy Face and Hoyt Wilhelm showed the true value of having someone in the bullpen to closeout games. 

So baseball changed and it’s changing again. I don’t think it will change for the top of the rotation guys but it’s coming for the 4’s and 5’s

If it works there is no reason, outside of ego and fan faux outrage, to not try it.  Like you said it isn’t going to be for top of the rotation arms, hell most teams aren’t even using it at all.  But if you can put your team in a better position to win on days when you have a guy like Pena on the mound, why not.  The obvious answer from the outrage guys is, then that guy shouldn’t be a starter, which is valid, but it isn’t like there is this long line of guys more qualified to start a game and give the team 5-6 quality innings.  The game evolves and it always has.

1 minute ago, RBM said:

I’m fine with that. Aren't you? I mean we do it with everyone else. If a fielder isn’t proven he platoons until he is proven or proven otherwise.  

Hell us as fans talk about how much a pitcher who doesn’t suck, sucks all the damn time.  You don’t want to have an opener, learn to be a better pitcher.

I actually agree with the sentiment of not liking this, but since I have no control over it and I think I understand the goal with it, I will embrace it.  I really do miss the days when you kind of expected 7 innings out of pretty much any starter on your staff. 

I want to see them win and I don't really care about style points.

Fact is Cahill, Harvey, and Skaggs haven't been good this year and we have BP guys that are getting outs ans have options to rotate them out.  If the idea is to win with what you have, you better be thinking outside of the box on how to accomplish it.