• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: Angels @ Twins 5/14/2019 (Rengifo 2B)

8 hours ago, beatlesrule said:

Some of those I agree with but it's not like Ohtani stated he was impressed with Eppler and that's why he signed and Trout loved it here long before Eppler was the GM and Arte giving him 430 million is what kept him here. 

Eppler hasn't gotten the Angels to the playoffs. His farm work is too soon to be called beefed up. We need to wait at least a year or 2 to make that claim. I just don't get the obsession with him. I expect results. At least Dipoto got us a division title. 

Not sure how the above you are referring to makes up for the current state of the team seeing as Ausmus is the manager and will be for 3 years and Cozart will be around another 2 years and the other terrible signings and wasted money that could have been spent on players that are actually good.

That's just me though apparently.

Please review the GM decisions made by Dipoto that "got us a division title."

I will take the answer off the air.

6 minutes ago, eligrba said:

Please review the GM decisions made by Dipoto that "got us a division title."

I will take the answer off the air.

CJ Wilson, Albert Pujols and Josh Hamilton, along with trading for Street, trading Clevinger for Pestano and trading Frieri for the guy who did well for us down the stretch, Grilli. 

10 minutes ago, Stradling said:

CJ Wilson, Albert Pujols and Josh Hamilton, along with trading for Street, trading Clevinger for Pestano and trading Frieri for the guy who did well for us down the stretch, Grilli. 

I'm thinking that I got your point.   Even the good moves made by Dipoto were only short term fixes, and never long term successes.

Dude was the total opposite of Stoneman.

I don't particularly agree with @beatlesrule very often (no offense), but I think any fan has a legitimate right to question the job Billy Eppler has done so far.  While I would agree that he is a huge upgrade over Dipoto and the best GM this team has had since Stoneman (altough there's only been 2 others), he's not beyond questioning, IMO.  I'm satisfied with the job Eppler has done - but that doens't mean I agree with everything he's done so far.  I question the decision to hire Ausmus.  I"m not calling for Ausmus' removal... but I'm watching closely to see how this all plays out.  It's hard to judge Eppler when we don't know the full extent of his plan.  We have an idea... sign guys to one year contracts with an eye towards the future, etc. - but it appears to me that Arte Moreno is taking a "wait and see" approach to Eppler as well.  I mean - Eppler IS in the last year of his contract. It's not a lock that he will even be here next year.  I hope he is - but again, I kind of like the idea that they'll likely wait until the end of the season to decide.  I also think that's "kind of" telling.

I respect @Inside Pitch a ton.  He's quite possibly my all time favorite poster and the only AW regular I actually "follow" on AW (other than Jeff Fletcher).  That being said - just because someone doesn't agree with IP, doesn't mean their opinion should be dismissed or that they even need to "re-think" their opinion, IMO.  I'll listen to any opinion that is actually well thought out and communicated.  @beatlesrule is right in that the jury is still out on the farm system.  From this point in time - it looks good to most of us, but since baseball is a "performance based game" - time will tell if it really is as good as we hope it is. 

Edited by True Grich

8 minutes ago, True Grich said:

I don't particularly agree with @beatlesrule very often (no offense), but I think any fan has a legitimate right to question the job Billy Eppler has done so far.  While I would agree that he is a huge upgrade over Dipoto and the best GM this team has had since Stoneman (altough there's only been 2 others), he's not beyond questioning, IMO.  I'm satisfied with the job Eppler has done - but that doens't mean I agree with everything he's done so far.  I question the decision to hire Ausmus.  I"m not calling for Ausmus' removal... but I'm watching closely to see how this all plays out.  It's hard to judge Eppler when we don't know the full extent of his plan.  We have an idea... sign guys to one year contracts with an eye towards the future, etc. - but it appears to me that Arte Moreno is taking a "wait and see" approach to Eppler as well.  I mean - Eppler IS in the last year of his contract. It's not a lock that he will even be here next year.  I hope he is - but again, I kind of like the fact that they'll likely wait until the end of the season to decide.  I also think that's "kind of" telling.

This is well reasoned and thought out.  I dont think anyone agrees with everything he's done.  Just off the top of my head -- Harvey, Shoemaker -- I hated those moves.  I understand the reasoning behind Harvey to an extent but never did get the Shoemaker move and I say that even with him being injured again.

10 minutes ago, True Grich said:

I respect @Inside Pitch a ton.  He's quite possibly my all time favorite poster and the only AW regular I actually "follow" on AW (other than Jeff Fletcher).  That being said - just because someone doesn't agree with IP, doesn't mean their opinion should be dismissed or that they even need to "re-think" their opinion, IMO.  I'll listen to any opinion that is actually well thought out and communicated.  @beatlesrule is right in that the jury is still out on the farm system.  From this point in time - it looks good to most of us, but since baseball is a "performance based game" - time will tell if it really is as good as we hope it is. 

Appreciate the kind words and I agree nobody should cancel each other out but it's really hard to argue the farm system isn't significantly better -- even the harshest of outside critics can see the difference is night and day.

I understand  wanting to see results before declaring victory with the farm but there is no need to wait out performances to see if they are really good, that's not what a farm system guarantees.   A healthy farm system is there to supply players and give the team options.   They are closer to having that than at any point since the last wave finished up with Cron.   

We are just now seeing some of the 15 draft (Dipoto's last) come up (Walsh), the Eppler kids were all younger, rawer and further away.   But there are more of them and they have shown more, sooner.

The farm is definitely ranked better but not proven mlb yet. Hell, Adell is being talked up big time so I have HUGE expectations for him whenever he's ready. Also, Eppler has made some expensive errors. Cahill and Harvey combine to make 20 million. Cozart on the hook for 25.3. With Arte having a budget, that's a huge chunk of change.

People keep mentioning on how much better Eppler is than dipoto but Dipoto also made some good moves too while he was here. Eppler has made good moves too but as of now, he's made more bad ones yet he seems to get a pass. Dipoto also made more bad than good and is hated.

On 5/14/2019 at 8:52 PM, Blarg said:

They are replaying the game now so maybe a second time through it will all make sense.

I'm lying, it was a stupid decision.

Due to time considerations they didn't show the 9th inning.