• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: Angels @ Twins 5/14/2019 (Rengifo 2B)

31 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

Then why is he treated like a God among men by many here?

Because he did trade for Simmons and gave up really nothing after further review to get him. 

He traded for Upton and kept him. We gave up really nothing.

He got us Ohtani. Huge! 

He beefed up our farm system and major league roster via the draft and trades.

Eppler established a tight relationship with Mike Trout that played a big part of him staying him, signing him to a lifetime contract. 

I think the above more than makes up for the ones I previously mentioned.

He's not a perfect GM, but he's darn near somewhere between good & great.

27 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Because he did trade for Simmons and gave up really nothing after further review to get him. 

He traded for Upton and kept him. We gave up really nothing.

He got us Ohtani. Huge! 

He beefed up our farm system and major league roster via the draft and trades.

Eppler established a tight relationship with Mike Trout that played a big part of him staying him, signing him to a lifetime contract. 

I think the above more than makes up for the ones I previously mentioned.

He's not a perfect GM, but he's darn near somewhere between good & great.

Some of those I agree with but it's not like Ohtani stated he was impressed with Eppler and that's why he signed and Trout loved it here long before Eppler was the GM and Arte giving him 430 million is what kept him here. 

Eppler hasn't gotten the Angels to the playoffs. His farm work is too soon to be called beefed up. We need to wait at least a year or 2 to make that claim. I just don't get the obsession with him. I expect results. At least Dipoto got us a division title. 

Not sure how the above you are referring to makes up for the current state of the team seeing as Ausmus is the manager and will be for 3 years and Cozart will be around another 2 years and the other terrible signings and wasted money that could have been spent on players that are actually good.

That's just me though apparently.

6 hours ago, beatlesrule said:

Some of those I agree with but it's not like Ohtani stated he was impressed with Eppler and that's why he signed and Trout loved it here long before Eppler was the GM and Arte giving him 430 million is what kept him here. 

Eppler hasn't gotten the Angels to the playoffs. His farm work is too soon to be called beefed up. We need to wait at least a year or 2 to make that claim. I just don't get the obsession with him. I expect results. At least Dipoto got us a division title. 

Not sure how the above you are referring to makes up for the current state of the team seeing as Ausmus is the manager and will be for 3 years and Cozart will be around another 2 years and the other terrible signings and wasted money that could have been spent on players that are actually good.

That's just me though apparently.

When trying to decide if you are on the right side of a baseball argument you should look who’s on your side and who isn’t on your side.   So if you are disagreeing with people on here that are very well respected like insidepitch or doc then you might want to reconsider your point of view.  By the way quinlanforthewin is on your side.   That’s a pretty good indication you need to reconsider.  

16 minutes ago, Stradling said:

When trying to decide if you are on the right side of a baseball argument you should look who’s on your side and who isn’t on your side.   So if you are disagreeing with people on here that are very well respected like insidepitch or doc then you might want to reconsider your point of view.  By the way quinlanforthewin is on your side.   That’s a pretty good indication you need to reconsider.  

Wow... interesting comment. I'm just going to leave it at that.

Many "respected" posters here were in love with Dipoto also.

Certainly reasonable for fans to want to see some results on the field.

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yes I agree.  I was one of the guys who really liked Dipoto, I was wrong.  You know who wasn’t wrong? IP.  Eppler is everything Dipoto isn’t.  He’s not perfect but he’s one of the best this organization has had.   

46 minutes ago, Jay said:

Since I got mentioned in the post you're responding to...   I pretty much led the charge questioning why his actions didn't match his words and was vocal almost from day one about stuff like Walden for Hanson, signing two RPs who couldn't throw a ball yet and his overall un-saber approach to things.   Doc, the other guy that was mentioned was on JD about high floor low ceiling from day one.  

I think most everyone here (myself included), was very much "in love" with the idea the franchise was moving away from the dark ages and towards a more saber inclined approach and Dipoto went to great lengths to portray himself as a new age GM but it became obvious early on (speaking for myself), that Jerry Dipoto talked a fair game but wasn't actually doing any of the stuff he was talking about.  Still, his fans took aim at MS and deflected all blame elsewhere.   The mythology of JD was pretty interesting.

When it's all said and done -- JD and Eppler are very different beasts and people comparing the two based on nothing other than W/L records are guilty of not seeing the forest for the trees.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Also Jay, if you can’t tell the difference in level of understanding of the game between the reactionary blowhards (myself included) and the much more rational and thought provoking guys, that’s on you and not mean old Stradling for bringing it up to a fellow blowhard.  

8 hours ago, beatlesrule said:

Then why is he treated like a God among men by many here?

Pick the best GM you can think of and we can make a long lists of F*ck ups.   Eppler's not a "God among men", but he's a world better than anyone else who's held the job in Anaheim since Stoneman and the changes he's made are making a long term impact...   

It hasn't shown up in the W/L record, he's not planting with MiracleGro, he's trying to actually cultivate something built for the long term.   

11 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

He does the bidding of the Faceless Analytics Collective who actually run this team.

My belief on this is they plan the game and go over scenarios ahead of time.  In game decisions are made by the manager based on the information shared before the game.  The manager still makes decisions because you can’t actually come up with every possible scenario pregame.  

7 hours ago, beatlesrule said:

This is the team he inherited, the salaries in place, and the minor league system he had to work with.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/los-angeles-angels/payroll/2015/  

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/los-angeles-angels/payroll/2016/ This was the team he had at the end of his first year...    Retained Salary (Leftover Salary from players who have been traded, released or buyout for declined options. $42, 327,190.
https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/los-angeles-angels/payroll/  This is where he is now.    Retained Salary -- $837,000.    

And just for giggles -- he's what the roster looked like when JD signed on... 

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/los-angeles-angels/payroll/2011/

Questioning if the farm is truly "beefed up" doesnt warrant a response.