• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Lefties bunting against the shift?

Guess I am talking about Calhoun. Goodwin could do it too, but he is hitting just fine. But if he did every once in a while it would make teams think twice about giving him an easy base hit. Calhoun is slumping. He is relatively fast. Don't understand why he cant bunt, slap, or just hit a ground ball the other way especially when they throw outside to him regularly.  Why wouldn't  he work on it a BP?  Maybe he could  extend his career. Who knows?  What he is doing now is not working and he is going to find himself playing right bench very soon.  

4 hours ago, yk9001 said:

That's why i get bummed when people denounce the shifts.  I love the shifts.  its a different alignment than i've seen my whole life.

It's the approach to the shifts that is disappointing.

I'm coming around to this thinking.   I despise the three true outcomes philosophy, it's so UNtraditional.

I hypothesized this in another thread, but part of me wonders if players like Kole, Chris Davis, etc., are actually hitting worse because they’re trying to go the other way or hit against the shift.

I know that sounds crazy at first, because you’d think we’d see more poor attempts to hit the other way if that was the case, and the data probably is strong enough these days that defensive shifts could take a .700-.800 OPS bat and turn them into a .400-500 OPS hitter...but...what if these guys have been so ingrained and developed in hitting a certain way over 20 years that all the tinkering in an effort to hit the other way is just causing their mechanics to totally fall apart? And that’s why they’re not just dropping to .600 OPS, but way, way below...losing BA, losing OBP, and losing SLG? All elements of their offensive game? Makes you wonder if an overcompensation is bringing worse results than if they did just keep hitting the way they’ve always done.

That doesn’t excuse them - their approach and mental make-up should be stronger to allow such tinkering - but I do wonder if there is something that’s causing these players to just totally fall apart offensively that is beyond shifts. Perhaps we’re just seeing a generational thing play out, where guys who grew up watching the roided generation didn’t learn enough about adjustments, contact, approach. 

Edited by totdprods

1 hour ago, Lou said:

I don't want my $300M player bunting 

I would generally agree, and so do the Phillies from what I’ve read. That said, Harper is a streaky hitter who has had struggles against the shift. So much so that he and his agent have been vocal critics of it. I would look at it more situationally. Also, someone like Harper trying that may get players who don’t have his complete skill set to try it more often.

3 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Nothing else is going to stop the shifts besides slapping the ball the other way, outside of Manfred instituting an NBA like rule limiting shifts or the ball becoming so lively that it whizzes by the fielders or the fielders being forces to wear smaller gloves.

One of the things shifts may be doing is lowering batting averages, but increasing walks. Patience and the occasional bunt may be the best ways to combat the shift.

https://www.mlb.com/news/9-things-you-need-to-know-about-the-shift-c276706888

2 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Right now Calhoun is 9 for 25 when he pulls the ball. 

He is 4 for 19 when hitting it up the middle 

He is 1 for 12 when hitting it the other way

He is one that seems to be the opposite.    But does that mean that everyone should continue to pull the ball, even if they aren't nearly as successful as Calhoun has been? 

6 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

He is one that seems to be the opposite.    But does that mean that everyone should continue to pull the ball, even if they aren't nearly as successful as Calhoun has been? 

Stop being obsessed with batting average.

The major league average right now is about .245, I think. But there are still plenty of runs, because of walks and homers.