• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Lefties bunting against the shift?

4 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

That’s cool how you can read his mind and know what he’s trying to do. 

What I’m telling you is none of this stuff is that easy. There aren’t many guys in the world who really use the whole field and hit the ball hard to all fields. I think it probably takes every ounce of energy and endless hours of practice for him to do what he’s doing. 

I would not use the word lazy. 

Its like saying Calhoun is lazy because he can’t hit like Trout. 

All I see here are excuses.  These guys are being paid millions of dollars to succeed.  There is nothing I'm seeing from Calhoun that shows he has been working on anything different.

8 hours ago, VariousCrap said:

All I see here are excuses.  These guys are being paid millions of dollars to succeed.  There is nothing I'm seeing from Calhoun that shows he has been working on anything different.

They pay the pitchers a lot of money to get him out too. 

And I actually think he’s not far off from where he needs to be. He struck out twice last night and crushed the ball the other two times. If he can cut the strikeouts just a little, and get a little more lucky on his hard hit balls, he’s probably right at the 240/320/430 line that I think is realistic for him. It would probably also be a good idea if he could sit against some tough lefties but right now the Angels aren’t deep enough to do that, which means they can’t use him optimally. 

I think a lot of you simply have unrealistic expectations of a career makeover for a guy who is 31. If you look at his .670 OPS and not his batting average, he’s doing OK.

David Fletcher, who everyone loves, has a career .686 OPS.

Edited by Jeff Fletcher

35 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

.782 ops vs rhers. 

Yeah. As I said before, in a perfect world they’d sit him against some of the tougher lefties. But their roster doesn’t quite work that way. 

I suppose they could put Fletcher in LF and Goodwin in RF against LHPs, the tough ones. Then La Stella plays against LHPs.

If Trout was facing a lefty pitcher that falls away towards third base, I would love to see him bunt between 2nd and 1st. He would only have to do it a few times in the season for the rest of the league to change how they play him. We could potentially have a .400 hitter.

I'm just old school I guess

I didn't read the whole thread, so its my bad if this was discussed.

Go Halos!!!

33 minutes ago, 19HALO71 said:

If Trout was facing a lefty pitcher that falls away towards third base, I would love to see him bunt between 2nd and 1st. He would only have to do it a few times in the season for the rest of the league to change how they play him. We could potentially have a .400 hitter.

I'm just old school I guess

I didn't read the whole thread, so its my bad if this was discussed.

Go Halos!!!

Given that teams frequently walk Trout anyway... intentionally or "unintentionally" - they'd be happy to take a single from him every time he comes to bat.

I prefer this instead...

On 4/25/2019 at 6:38 AM, Jeff Fletcher said:

They pay the pitchers a lot of money to get him out too. 

And I actually think he’s not far off from where he needs to be. He struck out twice last night and crushed the ball the other two times. If he can cut the strikeouts just a little, and get a little more lucky on his hard hit balls, he’s probably right at the 240/320/430 line that I think is realistic for him. It would probably also be a good idea if he could sit against some tough lefties but right now the Angels aren’t deep enough to do that, which means they can’t use him optimally. 

I think a lot of you simply have unrealistic expectations of a career makeover for a guy who is 31. If you look at his .670 OPS and not his batting average, he’s doing OK.

David Fletcher, who everyone loves, has a career .686 OPS.

I hope you are right with him being not far off from where he needs to be.  I'd take him at 240/320/430 with his glove.  It is just except for a hot streak last season, he hasn't shown he can produce like that the 2+ seasons.

Edited by VariousCrap

He showed bunt once this series. That probably prompted their shift stategy which opens up the middle more. There is still a hole for him to hit through but the SOB seems to want to hit home runs and ruin my entire rant! What a jerk.