• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

David Fletcher

don't blame the halos for starting Cozart early on even though I think he's terrible.  They've already relegated him to a platoon role and that will change as Zack continues to be terrible.  but they have to find out for sure.  

eventually I'd like to see 

Fletch
Trout
Ohtani
Upton
Bour
Simmons
Calhoun/Goodwin
La Stella
Lucroy

find a RHer to platoon with Calhoun vs. lefties.  I still think that can be Ward.  

work Rengifo in there at some point.  

5 hours ago, Dochalo said:

don't blame the halos for starting Cozart early on even though I think he's terrible.  They've already relegated him to a platoon role and that will change as Zack continues to be terrible.  but they have to find out for sure.  

eventually I'd like to see 

Fletch
Trout
Ohtani
Upton
Bour
Simmons
Calhoun/Goodwin
La Stella
Lucroy

find a RHer to platoon with Calhoun vs. lefties.  I still think that can be Ward.  

work Rengifo in there at some point.  

I agree only if Bour receives a brain from the wizard.

Yea, major league and minor league stats show he only walks about 5% of the time.  He is going to have to hit .280 and if he does that and walks 5% of the time then he will have about a .330 OBP, which is playable and hell an upgrade at lead off hitter over the last couple of years.  

Fletcher has done everything asked of him and more.  He's played good defense at whatever position he's been asked to play.  He doesn't give runs away.  His average is hovering just below .300.  While he doesn't walk or hit for power, he does put pressure on the opposition with his bat. 

La Stella has had his offensive moments.  However, the net results of La Stella's overall offense and below average defense, I believe has cost us outs, innings, and perhaps games.  La Stella should be relegated to a part time pinch hitter/spot starter role.  Not a platoon player.  Fletcher needs to get the lions share of AB's as he has proven his role on the team.  At the very least, Fletcher doesn't hurt you when he's on the field.  Let him play.

9 hours ago, Dochalo said:

everyday player please.  

great defense.  improving offense.  

You do realize he is playing every day, right?  He hasn’t started 3 games this year.  So he is getting one game off a week.  The last game he didn’t start was April 9th, which was the La Stella two home run game.  The only guys on the team with more at bats are Simmons and Kole.  He is an everyday player.  

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

You do realize he is playing every day, right?  He hasn’t started 3 games this year.  So he is getting one game off a week.  The last game he didn’t start was April 9th, which was the La Stella two home run game.  The only guys on the team with more at bats are Simmons and Kole.  He is an everyday player.  

100% chance he doesn't start today, because of this post.

10 hours ago, GrittyVeterans said:

What a disaster that our manager thought Cozart was a better option....

The manager didn't sign Cozart to a 3 year deal....he is doing what most mangers do----playing the guys who make the most money....it's how it works, unfortunately....

19 hours ago, jessecrall said:

Small sample size alert, natch, but Fletcher's chase rate this year has dropped from 28% to 21% and his contact rate's gone from 91% to 96%. And based on his plate discipline and contact quality, he's been UNLUCKY this year so...I don't think it's crazy for him to end up with an average OPS+ along with his plus defense. 

Thanks for this! One of Fletcher’s big knocks was that he didn’t walk enough and still struck out a bit too often for a player with his offensive profile. His offense was driven by high contact rates - he was going to slap a ton of singles, and would have really hot/cold streaks as a result of BAbip. All of his minor league history backs that up too.

But he’s put some work in, and it’s showing. His SO% dropped from 11.1% to 4.4% (!!!) and his BB% has gone up significantly from 4.9% to 7.4%. If he keeps up trends like that, he’s going to easily exceed the very good UT IF projection and become a very solid everyday player who may ride some luck into some very good offensive seasons. 

The thing that I like about Fletcher is that he’s always gotten around to adjusting to his league and being successful.  It was true at every stop in the minors for him and so far so good at the major league level.  He’s just a good player.  It’s probably accurate that he’s never going to be the all star type, but I think he’s got a great shot at being an everyday player.  

If he could just get better at taking a walk(which he has - but maintain and improve from here), his value would sky rocket. 

Edited by UndertheHalo