• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Thunder Thaiss

TroutBaseball

7 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Cozart, yes. I have higher hopes for Kole, although he's pretty much the new Napoli and will be streaky. Bour will be the new member of the pantheon.

7 hours ago, Dochalo said:

my money is on Cozart.  Maybe Calhoun.  

Bour is only on a one year contract and didn't come over with much hype generated, so I doubt fans will even notice him enough to blame him, particularly if he ends up being let go upon Ohtani's healthy arrival. 

The early position player favorites are as you said, Calhoun and Cozart. Calhoun because he's been inconsistent for years, doesn't hit LHP, is the man in front of Adell, and has already ended up completely altering his swing yet again. But his play in RF and fiery personality will probably save him from more scrutiny.

Cozart is a good defender, but it's hard to tell just because he isn't in the same echelon as Simmons (mostly because no one is). But the fact that he's making 13 million a year for replacement level performance and isn't homegrown makes him the most suitable scapegoat.

On the pitching side, Matt Harvey's personality rubs many fans the wrong way. So he better be pretty good, or fans may turn on him. 

6 hours ago, Rico said:

Basically Thaiss' ETA was some point in 2019, no?  He is 23, about to turn 24.  If he earns it in Spring just give it to him.

None of us are watching private workouts and none of us know what each player is working on. None of us know who earns it in spring training. Last year Ohtani didn't earn it in Spring training, but I think it's great he made the roster. Thaiss looked great in Spring training in 2017 but clearly wasn't ready then.

The point is that none of us have any idea what is actually happening in ST beyond a few public meaningless exhibitions. All of us want whoever earns it in Spring training but we have very little idea of who that actually is. 

1 hour ago, eaterfan said:

Thaiss looked great in Spring training in 2017 but clearly wasn't ready then.

Well he didn't have half a season at AAA under his belt back then.  He is right on the cusp now.

Of course it's only been one week, but Thaiss is looking like our best option at first this year.

Its nice to see him taking such quality at bats and all that but it's ST and the quality of the pitchers he's faced so far as been sub-AA..

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/LAA/2019.shtml

As people look at these spring performances it might be wise to occasionally glance at this link tracking quality of opponents.   A few years back people were touting Taylor Lindsey and his awful swing as a Howie replacement based on his wrecking a bunch of A ball pitchers..   Its effing ST and most of the guys throwing right now are either rusty, or filler.

Mousing over the OppQual category gives us a quick snapshot at the highest level for the pitchers faced...

3 hours ago, eaterfan said:

None of us are watching private workouts and none of us know what each player is working on. None of us know who earns it in spring training. Last year Ohtani didn't earn it in Spring training, but I think it's great he made the roster. Thaiss looked great in Spring training in 2017 but clearly wasn't ready then.

The point is that none of us have any idea what is actually happening in ST beyond a few public meaningless exhibitions. All of us want whoever earns it in Spring training but we have very little idea of who that actually is. 

Speak for yourself...

image.png.72dccbb4aa9875c6892a8ab74881114f.png

Not gonna make a knee jerk reaction during ST. 

I assume he’ll start in minors and let it play out. They’ll give Bour a chance and if he’s struggling I can see them pulling the plug on him early. Unfortunately we’re stuck with Albert