• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

Chuck

14 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

When do you guys think it's time to let Rojas have a shot at 2B and send Rengifo down to work on leading off, getting on base and stealing bases while working on SS possibly to see if he works there defensively in case we can get a nice return for Simba?

I like the idea.  Now is the time to find out what we have, who can help us and who can develop trade value.

That is why I was suprised Tovar was called up to replace Simmons.

15 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

When do you guys think it's time to let Rojas have a shot at 2B and send Rengifo down to work on leading off, getting on base and stealing bases while working on SS possibly to see if he works there defensively in case we can get a nice return for Simba?

Unfortunately I don't see how Rojas factors in on the team's plans for 2020 or really anytime in the future. There are just too many other infield options. But sure, a cup o coffee wouldn't work, but i see him as organizational depth or trade bait.

1 hour ago, rafibomb said:

Oliver Ortega was called up to Mobile. This guy can see himself on a few top 10 prospect lists from our organization with the year he has been having. 

94.1 IP,  121 K,  3.34 ERA,  1.23 WHIP,  .198 AVG against

Glaser has been high on him all year and is apparently sitting in the mid 90's this season with a plus curve after apparently working around 90-92 last year.

Wow I was not expecting that kind of velo from him, any scouting reports on him?

33 minutes ago, RBM said:

Who would you have called up instead of Tovar to replace Simmons?

We have fletcher and Rengifro who could both play SS.  We have Thaiss who voukd play 3b/ Walsh who play 1b.  Why not bring Rojas up for middle infield depth over Tovar?

If not mistaken Rojas has to be put on the 40 man roster this off season.  Let's find out if he can plan in the majors and have some value. 

I'm telling you guys, that oppo power and bat speed is what keeps hope alive for Maitan's future in the big leagues. He's driving the ball like that at 19, in a pitchers park, in a league that he's very young for... Just imagine what sort of power he will pack at 23 it 24, when his power is actually developed.

Yeah there is a lot to not like about Maitan. Too strike out prone, low batting average, plate discipline isn't as great as it was before and lots of weird on defense. And at the same time, there is some to like. The power, the ability to compete above an age appropriate level, the arm strength, the vast improvement he's made both in the field and at the plate, the muscular physique after unfavorable weight gain.

Numbers are numbers, but I do see a player that is growing that has a very high ceiling. He's clearly not there yet, and the numbers are reflective of that, but he looks like he will eventually figure it out.

And as for Will Wilson, still not the sexiest prospect but you can't deny there's a very high floor present. The chances of him developing into a major leaguer are about as high as anyone in the draft. But just from what I've seen, there's no way he starts at shortstop. 2B, 3B, LF, 1B....

Wilson hit his 5th hr.  2-4.  .826 ops.  

47 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I'm telling you guys, that oppo power and bat speed is what keeps hope alive for Maitan's future in the big leagues. He's driving the ball like that at 19, in a pitchers park, in a league that he's very young for... Just imagine what sort of power he will pack at 23 it 24, when his power is actually developed.

Yeah there is a lot to not like about Maitan. Too strike out prone, low batting average, plate discipline isn't as great as it was before and lots of weird on defense. And at the same time, there is some to like. The power, the ability to compete above an age appropriate level, the arm strength, the vast improvement he's made both in the field and at the plate, the muscular physique after unfavorable weight gain.

Numbers are numbers, but I do see a player that is growing that has a very high ceiling. He's clearly not there yet, and the numbers are reflective of that, but he looks like he will eventually figure it out.

And as for Will Wilson, still not the sexiest prospect but you can't deny there's a very high floor present. The chances of him developing into a major leaguer are about as high as anyone in the draft. But just from what I've seen, there's no way he starts at shortstop. 2B, 3B, LF, 1B....

he also moves very well for a big dude.  

I feel like the first year and a half of him being an Angel was getting his swing revamped to the point that it would be solid going forward because it was such a mess.  While other guys in A ball are working on pitch recognition and how to have quality at bats, he was working on a full mechanical makeover.  Something guys normally do in extended spring and the AZL or Orem.  

Now that he's got a very nice workable swing, he can focus on fine tuning it and refining his approach.  Now their is a legit foundation to help those considerable raw tools advance.  So now it comes down to repetition.  Hopefully it will work but I'm a lot more hopeful that last year.  

14 hours ago, Stradling said:

If he becomes what he was projected to be then we got a steal.  My fear is he will be the wild card that it takes to make a trade happen for a starter, oh and then he blows up.  

I’d rather see Arte blow through the budget and tax threshold for two years only, and try for something like a Cole/Miley package signing to preserve the key prospects.

It shouldn’t hurt Arte that much to add say $40-45 million for 2020-2022, and see some $60 million cleared from current AAV payroll by after 2021.   That even leaves money to re-sign Simba, if they decide to.   

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

He plays pretty much every position, just none of them particularly well. But he makes it to the big leagues, it will be because of his bat.

So if he can play 2b and we are devastated by injuries that cant compete and he is rule 5 eligible why not bring him up and see what he cam do?  That's my premise from the beginning

28 minutes ago, RBM said:

If he plays in the Majors it will most likely be at DH or 3B. I hope he gets a September call up.

Like I said, let's find out what we got.  Play him at 2b just to see his at bats.

In fact we should cut back Ohtani plate appearances to give to the prospects.  Devisions have to be made for Ward, Walsh, Thais (he is getting his chance now) and Rojas.

Let's find out if they are worth keeping.

1 hour ago, stormngt said:

Then give up on him.  Thaiss and Ward would be given the looks at 3b.  If he can p lb at 2b and @Second Base says he can. Then give him a look.

I'm not opposed to promoting Rojas, just like I'm not opposed to promoting Taylor Ward.  Quite frankly, I'd rather know what we have going into 2020 in Rojas, Ward, Walsh, Hermosillo and Thaiss.  It certainly appears Thaiss belongs long term.  His defense and his bat both make him a starting major league 3B long term.  Walsh also looked to me like he was major league ready in his sporadic appearances and I'd love to see him operate in a utility role next year.   

But I also recognize that's not a popular answer. 

On 8/3/2019 at 2:04 AM, Dochalo said:

14 in his last 20 games.  

It's amazing to me that a guy like that wouldn't be successful at the major league level.  I understand park factors and all that, butt the dude is just destroying everything he sees

I guess he's to me like Jabari Blash is to @ettin

BTW, Blash is killing the ball in Japan - .955 ops with 22hrs in 342 PA.  

Anyway, back to Walsh.  It's his age 25 season (just turned 26).  Don't they have to give him a legit look?  He might be a little long in the tooth relative to most prospects, but he's not exactly old.  How about Justin Bour for a comp?  

Maybe he's just come into his own of late.  Dude only hit 6 hrs in 3 years and 463 pa in college.  And even without as much power earlier in his minor league career he still owns a .903 ops overall.  He's done nothing but hit the crap out of the ball at every level.  

Blash in Japan: 22 Home Runs with a .266/.400/.550 slash line!!!! BAM!!!! :awesome-smiley-emoticon: