• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

Chuck

5 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I can't wait until someone (glances in the general location of AO) wonders if Adell is putting too much pressure on himself to come up and help the team, causing his recent slump.

42 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Damn, that's a serious slump right there. 

I wonder if he's trying to get up to Anaheim in a hurry and putting too much pressure on himself. 

Adell got himself a base hit.  

Also, Kevin Maitan went deep again, his 11th of the year.  A general benchmark for good power in the Midwest League is 10-15 HR's a year and Maitan has 11 with a month to go.  Again, overall the numbers won't be what you hoped for, but the way he's finishing the season should make him a shoe-in for the Cal League next year, as a 20 year old.  He's hitting over .300 in his last 10 games and has improved by leaps and bounds as a third baseman.  

Also, Steward Aquino, in his first start in Orem went 4 scoreless innings with 7 strikeouts and no walks.  Pretty unhittable tonight.  Huge upside there, but refinement is necessary.  Still, we may see him in Burlington next year.  If healthy and developed, he ranks up there with Soriano and Rodriguez for the highest upside arm in the system. 

Regarding @Second Base comments on Maitan and getting a promotion straight away next year.  I wonder if that’s a great idea.  To me rushing guys through the system has had mixed results.  I’m glad to see him doing better these last several weeks and I’m really interested to see how he finishes up the season.  If he stays hot for another 4 weeks then sure it probably makes a lot of sense to move move him to IE.  But if he steps back I think they definitely ought to let him start out with Burlington.  He’s so young.  I don’t know why he needs to be rammed through the system.  Maitan is a guy they need to be careful developing imo. 

I don’t know, I just don’t really buy that moving guys through the system really rapidly is a great idea.  It doesn’t seem like it’s worked that well.  

Edited by UndertheHalo

1 hour ago, UndertheHalo said:

Regarding @Second Base comments on Maitan and getting a promotion straight away next year.  I wonder if that’s a great idea.  To me rushing guys through the system has had mixed results.  I’m glad to see him doing better these last several weeks and I’m really interested to see how he finishes up the season.  If he stays hot for another 4 weeks then sure it probably makes a lot of sense to move move him to IE.  But if he steps back I think they definitely ought to let him start out with Burlington.  He’s so young.  I don’t know why he needs to be rammed through the system.  Maitan is a guy they need to be careful developing imo. 

I don’t know, I just don’t really buy that moving guys through the system really rapidly is a great idea.  It doesn’t seem like it’s worked that well.  

If it were me, Maitan would've been in Orem again this year.  But clearly, there's something about him that has caused the smartest men in the organization to universally agree that he needed to be promoted.  For much of the season, I didn't; get the draw.  Sure, there's upside but he lacked the necessary refinement to succeed.  But just in the last few weeks, I (we) are finally seeing what I think the Angels scouts saw in him.  When he makes the adjustments, he's the most dangerous player on the field. 

Oliver Ortega was rocked again in AA.  Marsh keeps plugging along and Jahmai Jones got himself a 4-hit game.  His batting average is up to .226, and he's hitting .351 in his last 10 games.  I have't watched any of their games lately, does anyone know if his swing is looking any different?

Two-way play Will Holmes (formerly Will English) threw 4 innings today, striking out 5.  It'll be interesting to see how he develops.  Most two way players (Casey Kelly comes to mind) end up abandoning one or the other by the time they reach A Ball.  All the more evidence of how special Ohtani is.

Orlando Martinez hit his 9th HR.  Noe Ramirez and Key Middleton pitched on a rehab assignment.

Jerryell Rivera was back on the mound in Orem.  One of the higher upside arms in the system.  Showed a ton of promise coming out of Puerto Rico in the 11th round.  Stuff plays up but he hasn't been able to find the plate, similar to Cole Duensing.  But in a bit of good news, he only walked one tonight. 

The Ortega promotion is a great example of why the system as a whole loses a ton of games.  While he was doing very well in A+, he was still walking a ton of guys (almost 5/9) so his control obviously needs work so they bump him up and force the issue a bit.  

I'm actually a fan of this.  I like that they challenge guys early.  

11 hours ago, Second Base said:

Oliver Ortega was rocked again in AA.  Marsh keeps plugging along and Jahmai Jones got himself a 4-hit game.  His batting average is up to .226, and he's hitting .351 in his last 10 games.  I have't watched any of their games lately, does anyone know if his swing is looking any different?

Two-way play Will Holmes (formerly Will English) threw 4 innings today, striking out 5.  It'll be interesting to see how he develops.  Most two way players (Casey Kelly comes to mind) end up abandoning one or the other by the time they reach A Ball.  All the more evidence of how special Ohtani is.

Orlando Martinez hit his 9th HR.  Noe Ramirez and Key Middleton pitched on a rehab assignment.

Jerryell Rivera was back on the mound in Orem.  One of the higher upside arms in the system.  Showed a ton of promise coming out of Puerto Rico in the 11th round.  Stuff plays up but he hasn't been able to find the plate, similar to Cole Duensing.  But in a bit of good news, he only walked one tonight. 

Orlando Martinez is super streaky so far.  

He kinda reminds me of former angels farm hand Matt Sweeney who I always had high hopes for.  Really sweet lefty swing where you couldn't get him out for stretches and then he'd just lose it for stretches.  Once Sweeney got traded to the Rays for Kazmir, his career went down hill and he couldn't find it.  

I think Martinez will end up being much better.  Especially if that power stroke continues.  He's hit all 9 of his hrs along with 10 doubles and 3 triples in his last 47 games and has an ops over .800 during that stretch even with a 10-79 slump in there.  

Clayton Chatham had a great outing for the burlington bees yesterday.  6ip, 5h, 1er, 1bb, 8k.  

Don't know much about him other than he's already 24 and it appears he was an UDFA out of dartmouth after growing up in san juan cap.  Didn't do much at Dartmouth.  

Big dude.  6'6, 237.  Now has a 3.00 era in 24ip in A ball with 28k.  Wonder how hard he throws.  

Jones in his last 60 games

Avg .270 OBP .339 SLG .365

While it’s nothing special, if he had this line as a 21 year old in Double-A there would be a lot less concern. The sample size of his good numbers is now bigger than his bad numbers. His first 51 games

Avg .175 OBP .242 SLG .227

His last 30 games have also been even better. Hopefully he can finish the year strong

Avg .309 OBP .383 SLG .374

16 minutes ago, vladdy#27 said:

Jones in his last 60 games

Avg .270 OBP .339 SLG .365

While it’s nothing special, if he had this line as a 21 year old in Double-A there would be a lot less concern. The sample size of his good numbers is now bigger than his bad numbers. His first 51 games

Avg .175 OBP .242 SLG .227

His last 30 games have also been even better. Hopefully he can finish the year strong

Avg .309 OBP .383 SLG .374

.880 ops over his last 18 games.  Most of that is BABIP related as there still isn't much power to speak of but encouraging for sure.  

If he can end up at .250/.650 after his horrendous start, that would restore some hope.  

13 hours ago, Second Base said:

just saw his first at bat.  

setup was a little different today.  If I remember correctly, he was previously laying the bat on his shoulder and then elevating his hands up and back to get set.  Today he started with his hands elevated in the set position.  He swung at the first pitch and grounded out so it was only a brief look, but he hit the ball hard.  

12 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Nice to see Jahmai at least holidng his own. Hopefully he can build on it next year and have a stronger season in AA.

Matthew Sweeney...there's a name I haven't even thought about in a decade, @Dochalo . I always enjoy thinking about "fringe prospect past." How about Chris Pettit?

Chris Pettit was my boy from LMU.  

Other guys I had high hopes for were Jeremy Moore, Luis Jiminez, Roberto Lopez, Ryan Mount

2 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Chris Pettit was my boy from LMU.  

Other guys I had high hopes for were Jeremy Moore, Luis Jiminez, Roberto Lopez, Ryan Mount

I actually had the chance to talk with Chris after his Angel playing days. He was a good guy! @tdawg87 would've loved Jeremy Moore if he knew about him, it maybe he did, I don't know. Lucho was great to hang around in ST, and was obviously a lot more successful playing ball internationally. I remember Halos Heaven comparing Ryan Mount to Chase Utely back in the day.

And here's another solid one for you guys, Gabe Jacobo and Wade Hinkle. Two guys that were impressive in BP but never made it over that AA hump. And who could forget Taylor Lindsey, the center piece of the Huston Street trade, along with Jose Rondon. Lindsey was a top 100 prospect, but lost it after the Angels traded him to San Diego. Ended up hanging up his spikes after his age 24 season in AAA, which seemed a tad early to me.