• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

Chuck

14 hours ago, Dochalo said:

The Ortega promotion is a great example of why the system as a whole loses a ton of games.  While he was doing very well in A+, he was still walking a ton of guys (almost 5/9) so his control obviously needs work so they bump him up and force the issue a bit.  

I'm actually a fan of this.  I like that they challenge guys early.  

Ditto... 

Looking at how Justus Sheffield has been handled this season stands in complete contrast to how the Halos have done it.  Dude was called up, lit up, sent down, got wrecked in the PCL and was ultimately sent to AA where he's dominated.   I get wanting to maybe get his confidence back up but, this guy first reached AA in 2016.... What can be possibly gain from facing inferior hitters in an extreme pitchers park while using a minor league ball???   He's 23, so he's not old for the league but he's not really being pushed.

I'll trade actual development over scoreboard talk.  For all the hand wringing over how Jones and Maitan have struggled, they both look to be ending the season better than they entered it.  It's not sexy, it's not exciting, but it's a win long term.

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

A bit before those guys, but some forgotten prospects that I remember being disappointed in: Jared Abruzzo, Brian Specht, Mike Colangelo.

Colangelo was his era's D-Mac. Guy had his career ruined by injury, even worse it shouldn't have ever happened.  Terry Collins started Colangelo and Reggie Williams in the OF, Colangelo called Williams off, Reggie ran through him and Colangelo suffered an ugly spiral fracture he never was able to fully recover from.

There was a massive amount of internal anger in the organization when that happened.  The story as it was relayed to me was that Collins was warned to avoid started them both early on to avoid the sort of contact that ended up happening and ignored it...  

Edited by Inside Pitch

20 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

As far as let down prospects: Seth Etherton and Brian Cooper. Dont remember how it played out, other than I remember being pumped we finally developed some pitchers, then... not really.

Man..... You should ask Tank about my Etherton rants back when they drafted him.   

The guy was nails coming out of USC, I think he had led the Pac 10 in Ks and had some ridiculous 180 to 30, K to W numbers his final season but ..... his out pitch was a palm ball he couldn't at all throw with MLB baseballs..   They knew this when they drafted him but they believed he could be taught a good enough change so it wouldnt matter... So what did he throw as his out pitch in the minors?   The palm ball.   They never actually had him develop his change, they just decided they would see how it would go.... Lol...

Seriously one of the dumbest things the Angels scouting department has ever done...   His FB was nothing special, the palm ball was who he was....  Dude made it up early but it was obvious he didn't have the stuff for MLB ...

Edited by Inside Pitch

6 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

As far as let down prospects: Seth Etherton and Brian Cooper. Dont remember how it played out, other than I remember being pumped we finally developed some pitchers, then... not really.

I was excited about Phil Leftwich

how about Janicki?  Brian Anderson?  McKay Christensen?  

that trio of early first rounders back to back to back was a killer.  Although all three of those drafts were pretty damn ugly for everyone in general.  

3 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I was excited about Phil Leftwich

how about Janicki?  Brian Anderson?  McKay Christensen?  

that trio of early first rounders back to back to back was a killer.  Although all three of those drafts were pretty damn ugly for everyone in general.  

Ha, Leftwich had me geeked too..  Cant even remember why -- maybe because he wasn't Hilly Hathaway.

Poor Pete Janicki....   Dude had his elbow destroyed...  150 innings his Jr year at UCLA which he never recovered from -- I have always thought of him as UCLA's version of Stan Spencer a Stanford pitcher who saw his future wrecked by his college workload.  Janicki missed all but one start his first year out of college and when he came back there was nothing there.  No FB, the slider was flat...  dude looked nothing like the pitcher he had been at El Dorado and UCLA...   

It sucked because both Etherton and Janicki were local products out of Dana Point and El Dorado.  Heck, so was Christensen for that matter.   The Angels didn't have a lot of luck drafting guys out of OC in those days.

Edited by Inside Pitch

7 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I never know if being anti-Semite is in opposition of Jewish people or their faith.

I have always wondered about the genesis of the term too -- it was my understanding that Hebrew, Arabic and Aramaic were all considered Semetic languages -- but I've always seen it applied as being strictly anti-Jew. 

All I know you handled that BS a lot better than I would have.   It was an ugly response from that twat and you handled it extremely well.

Edited by Inside Pitch

2 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

Trevor Reckling

Dude was on the fast track, age 19 in A ball, age 20 in A+ and AA, then at age 21 in AAA really struggled (over 2.00 WHIP), seemed to begin to right the ship in AA in his age 22 season, and then control abandoned him (15 BBs in 6.2 innings) after which he never pitched again.    Simply Ankiel-itis?   Or arm gave out? 

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

I have always wondered about the genesis of the term too -- it was my understanding that Hebrew, Arabic and Aramaic were all considered Semetic languages -- but I've always seen it applied as being strictly anti-Jew. 

All I know you handled that BS a lot better than I would have.   It was an ugly response from that twat and you handled it extremely well.

You mean the alleged brother of Borenstein's? 

2 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Greene and George Arias did more to push me towards sabermetrics than anyone else.  One of them cemented the importance of plate discipline the other was the poster child for park/league effects.

Neither of them had terrible walk and strikeout rates in the minors.  You'd like to see better, though.  

Jo Adell  is younger and has far more talent than either of those guys, but, like them, his walk and strikeout rates aren't impressive.  I'm on high alert.... especially now that he is off to a rough start in AAA.  

Adell:  920 PA.  71 BB (8%).  228 K (25%).

Arias before MLB debut:  1468 PA. 152 BB (10%).  295 K  (20%).

Greene before MLB debut:  1725 PA. 142 BB (8%). 267  K (15%)

Arias' power was park driven but he could actually milk walks.   Greene didn't.   Greene's minor league walk rates looked better than was his actual plate discipline was...   Basically what happened with him was as the power started to show he got pitched around and got a ton of unintentional, intentional walks.  

If you're looking at the stats today, you aren't getting a real indication of what was actually happening -- had he actually shown ANY patience his walk rates would have been Salmon level good.  

Anyway, my greater point was that their failures made me much more cognizant of the impact of parks on overall performance and in Greene's case, just how important actual plate discipline was.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Marc Hulet (Fangraphs) on Jeremiah Jackson:

Jackson lasted until the 57th overall selection in the 2018 draft but, prior to the draft, I advocated for him to go in the late first or supplemental round. He’s become a little bit of a different player than I was expecting but you can’t argue with a .904 OPS at the age of 19. Athletic with outstanding bat speed, this middle infielder has a ton of potential. But he’s also still very raw in some aspects. He’s gotten to his raw power more quickly than expected but he’s also had a lot of work done to his swing and has an unsightly BB-K of 20-70 in just 48 Advanced Rookie Ball games. The Isolated Slugging of .317 is outstanding but the 33% strikeout rate is downright worrisome. The Angels love to draft raw, toolsy athletes but they also have a spotty development record with the jury still out on a number of young players. Jackson needs to take a step back and focus more on just having good at-bats and less on trying to do over-the-fence damage.

He seems right on, imo.