• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

David Robertson

NJHalo

1 hour ago, RenoHalo said:

They have to do this. Out of all the FA RP out there, no one has been more consistent than Robertson. He's still got the 'Mariano-Lite' cutter that nobody can square up consistently too. The guy who taught him that lasted a lonnnnnnnnnnng time w/minimal injuries too, so I'm not as worried about his age either. What everyone has been projecting here about our bullpen if they signed him has me salivating tbh. Bullpens are so very important (especially nowadays), it's baffling when teams who have had issues there the prior season don't go into the off-season starting there.

Because it’s the most difficult thing to project. The chances of getting your money’s worth are low. 

https://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/why-are-relievers-so-volatile-managers-weigh-in-1.24616243

Edited by Jeff Fletcher

2 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

This would be better than that other robertson we got to play LF a few years ago.

Roy,    I assumed Shane as I don't remember a Daniel Robertson who was a left fielder for us a few years ago?.... The only Daniel Robertson I remember is the 2Bman of the Rays who was never with the Halos.

****Edit**** what do you know we had another Daniel Robertson in 2015..... https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/roberda09.shtml  

He was so good I thought he was Shane. White guys all look alike....Bwhahahhaha

How is Vegas treating you Roy?

50 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

Roy,    I assumed Shane as I don't remember a Daniel Robertson who was a left fielder for us a few years ago?.... The only Daniel Robertson I remember is the 2Bman of the Rays who was never with the Halos.

****Edit**** what do you know we had another Daniel Robertson in 2015..... https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/roberda09.shtml  

He was so good I thought he was Shane. White guys all look alike....Bwhahahhaha

How is Vegas treating you Roy?

White guys do all look alike Vegas is great I'm not sure how you know I live here

14 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Because it’s the most difficult thing to project. The chances of getting your money’s worth are low. 

https://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/why-are-relievers-so-volatile-managers-weigh-in-1.24616243

Robertson's consistency, health, use of the cutter, and Ks piling up still, are all too tempting to overlook though, if talking a two year deal.

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Thx for the link Fletch. That's one of the very few articles I can ever remember reading re: mercurial relievers. It's been a 'wtf' talking point every season w/me and my baseball nerd crew. I'm less baffled now :)

bullpen arms are a tough bet normally.  

you could get a 2016 Yusmeiro Petit or the 2017 version.  You could get Parker circa 2017 or the 2018 version.  Or 2017 Alvarez vs. 2018.  

Unless they are truly elite, it really is a crap shoot.  

that said, right now our depth chart is probably Buttrey, Anderson, Robles, Cole, Bedrosian, Ramirez, Felix Pena and someone from the pool of Jerez, Garcia, Brice, Jewell etc.  

is it worth $6-7 mil in order to displace one of those guys in favor of Robertson?  I think so.  

I’m way in favor of Robertson, but I will say, while his age, consistency, ‘mileage’, and reliability are all reasons why he’d be a good bet...

...they’re probably also reasons why he could fall apart. Simply the nature of reliever volatility. Odds are eventually he will have a clunker or a season or two, or battle injuries, and since that hasn’t really happened yet, he could be overdue. 

Still, I think he’d be as good a bet as any to bring in, but if Eppler passes, I’ll trust his judgement. The Angels could throw ST invites at Shelby Miller, Carson Smith, AJ Ramos, Randall Delgado, Drew Hutchison, Daniel Hudson, or any number of FA relievers and probably have just as good a chance at matching Robertson’s numbers as paying him $6-10m for.

29 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I’m way in favor of Robertson, but I will say, while his age, consistency, ‘mileage’, and reliability are all reasons why he’d be a good bet...

...they’re probably also reasons why he could fall apart. Simply the nature of reliever volatility. Odds are eventually he will have a clunker or a season or two, or battle injuries, and since that hasn’t really happened yet, he could be overdue. 

Still, I think he’d be as good a bet as any to bring in, but if Eppler passes, I’ll trust his judgement. The Angels could throw ST invites at Shelby Miller, Carson Smith, AJ Ramos, Randall Delgado, Drew Hutchison, Daniel Hudson, or any number of FA relievers and probably have just as good a chance at matching Robertson’s numbers as paying him $6-10m for.

This is exactly what I'd be doing if I were Eppler. Sign Miller, Smith and maybe even Pomeranz to one year, incentive laden deals. Get a good look in ST. If it doesn't work, you only burnt a million or two, and even then those guys may accept an assignment to AAA with the hand shake assurance that they'll be promoted at some point in the season, not only to help the team win but also as a showcase of sorts.

Believe it or not, this happens very frequently. 

I just really want to displace Noe Ramirez.  

Parker, Alvarez, Johnson, and the rag tag of Mcguire, Paredes, Morris, Wood, Bard, Drake, Tazawa, Almonte, Despaigne, etc.  can be replaced by Buttrey, Robles, Cole, Anderson etc.  I am hoping Pena can be more Petit than Ramirez.  

It really does feel like we're one solid guy short.  

a couple minor league contracts we could explore are Drew Storen, Zach McCallister, Daniel Hudson, AJ Ramos, Shawn Kelley, Adam Warren, Carson Smith, Nate Karns, Jeremy Helickson, Drew Pomeranz.  A few of those guys will get major league deals but they're worth watching.  A 2-3m guarantee for someone like Kelley, Helickson or Pomeranz wouldn't hurt too bad.  

33 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Classic example: Brandon Morrow. 

Dodgers got him as a non-roster invite. He became awesome for a year. He got a huge contract. Turned back into a pumpkin. 

This is not about Robertson but relievers in general. They are super hard to predict. 

he was good until he got injured.  

14 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I just really want to displace Noe Ramirez.  

Ramirez was over used last year and for only one reason, he was available all year. With the attrition throughout the pitching staff, Ramirez was called on way more than his skill set and endrance could support but he finished the season racking up 83 innings, the most of any on the relief staff. 

I think he can be useful next season but in a more reasonably limited role. Last year circumstances did not allow. 

4 hours ago, Blarg said:

Ramirez was over used last year and for only one reason, he was available all year. With the attrition throughout the pitching staff, Ramirez was called on way more than his skill set and endrance could support but he finished the season racking up 83 innings, the most of any on the relief staff. 

I think he can be useful next season but in a more reasonably limited role. Last year circumstances did not allow. 

this could be true and I certainly hope it is.  He was pretty good through his first 37 innings or so giving up only 3 hrs  and then gave up 12 hrs in his next 46.  

the 83 total is the most he's thrown in any season of his entire career including the minors.  

2 minutes ago, wopphil said:

I think Robertson is going to cost much more than people might think. I am guessing he gets something between 2/24 and 3/33.

Since basically everyone has cost more than I thought they would this off season I would agree with this.  Also if he wants to be back east, I would assume you would have to severely over pay to get him to be here for more than one year.