• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Brantley to the Astros

WeatherWonk

No terms yet, that I have seen.

They now have a platoon option for Springer and possibly for Guriel at first. He could also get ABs at DH. A lot of versatility there. Average fielder, but still has speed and puts the ball in play. High OBP.

HOU is loaded with good OFers. The youngster Kyle Tucker is supposed to make the club, too, after terrorizing AAA. Springer, Kemp, Brantley, Tucker, Reddick. 

I wonder if we could get Tony Kemp from them as our leadoff guy? Has he got the arm for RF?

After the first inning, a lineup that might go Kemp, Altuve, Brantley, Bregman, Correa, Guriel, Springer (or some permutation) is going to be tough to keep off base. Above average speed, except for Guriel, too.

Platooning Brantley increases chances he stays healthy;  something he has had problems with.

WOW, a club with Major League depth...............I suspect they will try and flip one of their expensive outfielders for pitching. Maybe Springer? Maybe Reddick? Both depart after this season, I believe.

10 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I'm sure if the Astros had the luxury of having Kole Calhoun for RF they wouldn't have bothered even thinking about an upgrade.

Maybe I just have to get used to the challenges of trying to compete with large market teams like Houston.

You are smarter than this.

Just now, Dtwncbad said:

So you get it.  Cool.

Yes, I get that the Astros have a ton of young talented affordable players and are the favorites to come out of the west.  I also get that when I look at their team they have a 1-2 year window where they are already really good, but will start to lose players to free agency, most notably starting pitching.  At some point Verlander will retire or move on.  

2 hours ago, WeatherWonk said:

After the first inning, a lineup that might go Kemp, Altuve, Brantley, Bregman, Correa, Guriel, Springer (or some permutation) is going to be tough to keep off base. Above average speed, except for Guriel, too.

Platooning Brantley increases chances he stays healthy;  something he has had problems with.

WOW, a club with Major League depth...............I suspect they will try and flip one of their expensive outfielders for pitching. Maybe Springer? Maybe Reddick? Both depart after this season, I believe.

I imagine they'll swing a trade for a frontline SP sometime in the next 12 months or so. 

How long do you think Upton will not be a problem defensively in left?

My post was primarily in jest but the reality is Brantley is a good hitter that would have made the Angels better, and you can argue that he would not be blocking anyone.

I think Upton may end up at first anyway.  So maybe your OF ends up Brantley, Trout, Adell.

The serious vein in my comment comes from a frustration that the Angels seem to pass on moves that make the team better even if they are not huge financial commitments.

The argument that the Angels can't catch the Astros in 2019 falls on deaf ears for me.  I don't personally think roster planning for 2019 should revolve around whether or not the move gets the Angels equal to the Astros.

I still want the team to be good and entertaining every year.

I would have rather seen the Angels sign Brantley than Bour.