• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

#1 and #2 Starters (2019 elephant in the room)

Dtwncbad

1 hour ago, Lou said:

I'm still glad we let Shoemaker go. 

I'm not actually unless Eppler executes a plan to bring in a pitcher that is equivalent to him at a reasonable price. Feel like this might have been his first mistake. Hope I am wrong.

The only Angels pitchers that I feel are currently better than Shoemaker, in terms of projected performance in 2019, are Heaney and Skaggs. Otherwise he fits in a general group with Tropeano, Barria, Ramirez, Canning, Suarez and Pena - guys who are probably #4-5s, although higher upsides in a couple cases.

6 hours ago, Lou said:

I'm still glad we let Shoemaker go. 

Me too.

The Angels need pitchers better than Shoemaker, and I have complained in the past that the quantity of back-of-the-rotation pitchers has been annoying. . .

Having "depth" at the back of the rotation is basically useless if the top half isn't up to par.

2 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Me too.

The Angels need pitchers better than Shoemaker, and I have complained in the past that the quantity of back-of-the-rotation pitchers has been annoying. . .

Having "depth" at the back of the rotation is basically useless if the top half isn't up to par.

they didn't even have a back of the rotation last year with 3 guys getting them 435 of their starter innings and 13 other guys giving them 370.  

their opportunities to improve the top of the rotation for 2019 were slim to none for 2019.  Unless of course you consider Keuchel a top of the rotation guy which I don't.  So once Corbin got paid about 30 mil more than he should have it's a moot point.  

You can win without a dominant rotation.  It's the one area where you can be solid/good and still get to the playoffs and go deep.  But it sure as hell helps to have at least one guy that is a true ace.  I think that will be the last piece of the puzzle for the halos.   Once they shore up a few positions on offense and get Ohtani back healthy as well as solidify the pen, they'll make that trade for a truly dominant starter.  I can also see them signing one in the next couple of years as well.  But that #1 guy will be something we do prior to 2021 or maybe 2022.  

They're not going to do it before a few of their prospects get going though.  

It would be nice if our system could produce a dominant starter though.  When's the last time that happened?  Weaver?  

1 hour ago, nando714 said:

No way lol 

we said that last off season as well. That turned out great 

Actually the guy you're responding to was very vocal about the pen being a potential dumpster fire.   Most people were upset they largely ignored the pen in the offseason.  Say what you will, with few exceptions last year's marquee free agent RP class ended up having awful seasons.  Morrow was probably the best of the potential closers and he broke down early.   It was like a case study in RP volatility

10 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

We need about eight starters since three or four of them are bound to be on the DL for long periods of time.

That's just the way things are with the Angels. 

if anyone needs me, I'll be in the "Tired Lines" thread