• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Does anyone have any idea what Eppler's offseason game plan is?

Chuck

3 minutes ago, Lou said:

why would this offseason be any different? 

I know there's always that proverbial "we're aiming to get better" take from Eppler and I do like him a bunch, but I wonder if they have some players in mind to trade for or sign via FA. 

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

I know there's always that proverbial "we're aiming to get better" take from Eppler and I do like him a bunch, but I wonder if they have some players in mind to trade for or sign via FA. 

that was my point. other than commenting in very general terms, when has he ever stated what the plan is?

5 minutes ago, Lou said:

that was my point. other than commenting in very general terms, when has he ever stated what the plan is?

Yeah, I'm just an anxious fan wondering where we go this offseason. 

I wonder if it will be something gnarly like Harper or Machado (which I doubt), or go for some killer trades of cost controlled talent, or just fill in here and there, making just some minor moves. 

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

Yeah, I'm just an anxious fan wondering where we go this offseason. 

I wonder if it will be something gnarly like Harper or Machado (which I doubt), or go for some killer trades of cost controlled talent, or just fill in here and there, making just some minor moves. 

I think he’ll shake things up a bit. 

He’s averaged 4-6 new players every year from opening day to opening day. I don’t expect anything different.

if you look back at who was on the team back when he took over versus now, it’s a big difference.

14 minutes ago, Lou said:

When has ANY Angels GM revealed their plans publicly?

all of us should be used to the silence by now, while realizing that silence doesn't equal inactivity.

Good thread. I'm a little worried myself... just being honest with it we are so far behind the Yankees and Red Sox that if we don't go all in and they get these guys then we might as well trade Trout because the middle is a recipe for consistent mediocrity.... aka the last decade of Angels baseball...

8 hours ago, Hubs said:

I think he’ll shake things up a bit. 

He’s averaged 4-6 new players every year from opening day to opening day. I don’t expect anything different.

if you look back at who was on the team back when he took over versus now, it’s a big difference.

Non-tendering Shoemaker and Parker definitely indicates a step in that direction. He’s going to move on from unreliable pieces and start plugging in guys who will have more long-term use to the team. It’s why I can definitely believe they’re looking at different options for RF.

I think Eppler is going to get a little more aggressive in rewriting the team DNA this offseason. He has a new manager and the team/organization is quickly becoming one in which he has been the primary architect. I imagine an extension or some assurance of job security has either been discussed or is expected at this point. 

So I don’t think his efforts this offseason will be 2019 focused. They will be more for 2020-2022. That’s not to say he won’t do something dramatic like trade for Greinke, Kluber, or Realmuto, or won’t rule out signing Harper or Keuchel, but I don’t think we’ll see the same stopgap mindset. And I don’t think he’ll eat into the farm too much, which makes me think if he does add a big name, it will be via FA, or a deal where he assumes salary, like Greinke. He may sign some minor names to start ‘19 which aligns with his usual offseason work, but the path will be much clearer for our AA/AAA prospects to bust through and begin establishing themselves in anticipation of the 2020+ seasons.

9 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Besides @ettin in his recent article, has Eppler been on record for what his offseason game plan or strategy is? 

@Jeff Fletcher

He has said multiple times that he’s planning to add pitching, starting and relief, and maybe a catcher, but that most of the upgrades offensively will come from within. 

He also specifically said durability is a key for pitchers. OBP for hitters  

I’ll go back and find the stories later. One was immediately after the season and the others were during the GM meetings. 

Edited by Jeff Fletcher