• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Just gonna leave this here....

floplag

2 minutes ago, floplag said:

yes im sure he would come right out and say that.  no matter i didnt really expect it to be reciprocated. 

so if he doesn't sign an extension, we're to assume it was because of a non-playoff season in 2019?  How else are we supposed to know?  

No matter what he says, I am sure you'll read the tea leaves and come to that conclusion.  

What I don't get is how everyone, including baseball execs, keep talking about the quality of this FA class. Harper has not lived up to expectations, Donaldson has been injured lately, Adam Jones has declined, Andrew mccutchen fell off the map relative to his career, Matt Harvey completely fell off the map, keuchel is still solid but not the ace he was when this FA class was hyped, Garrett Richards can't stay healthy, Clayton Kershaw has had health problems so stayed on with the dodgers, and Jose Fernandez is tragically no longer part of the equation.

I know there have been articles that have addressed this, but I still keep hearing about the depth of this class like it's still 2015. 

1 minute ago, AngelsFanSince86 said:

What I don't get is how everyone, including baseball execs, keep talking about the quality of this FA class. Harper has not lived up to expectations, Donaldson has been injured lately, Adam Jones has declined, Andrew mccutchen fell off the map relative to his career, Matt Harvey completely fell off the map, keuchel is still solid but not the ace he was when this FA class was hyped, Garrett Richards can't stay healthy, Clayton Kershaw has had health problems so stayed on with the dodgers, and Jose Fernandez is tragically no longer part of the equation.

I know there have been articles that have addressed this, but I still keep hearing about the depth of this class like it's still 2015. 

Agreed.  It's good if you include Harper and Macahdo.  It's meh if you don't.  Since we don't have a chance at either of the those guys, it's meh.  

I fully expect Trout to sign an extension this off season, after Machado and Harper have signed.

And the Angels will win next year, with just a few smart moves. Last year they brought in then resigned Upton, then signed Ohtani, Cozart and Kinsler, Chris Young, and Rene Rivera.

The year before that, they brought in Cameron Maybin, Jesse Chavez, Ben Revere, Martin Maldonado, and  Danny Espinsosa. They also added Parker and others off waivers.

The year before that, they brought in Simmons, Pennington, Soto, Escobar, Gentry and Nava.

There will be at least 5 new players roughly on the team I'd bet.

1 hour ago, Hubs said:

I fully expect Trout to sign an extension this off season, after Machado and Harper have signed.

And the Angels will win next year, with just a few smart moves. Last year they brought in then resigned Upton, then signed Ohtani, Cozart and Kinsler, Chris Young, and Rene Rivera.

The year before that, they brought in Cameron Maybin, Jesse Chavez, Ben Revere, Martin Maldonado, and  Danny Espinsosa. They also added Parker and others off waivers.

The year before that, they brought in Simmons, Pennington, Soto, Escobar, Gentry and Nava.

There will be at least 5 new players roughly on the team I'd bet.

4 more to go. Never fear Bourjos is here. 

On 11/16/2018 at 3:45 PM, Stradling said:

I do think it is funny that somehow Doc is some type of bad guy because Flop is sensitive.  

as a fourth party, i'll say i think it's funny that flops opinion, in this case, isn't treated respectfully. i may not have read everything, but i don't see where he's said anything outrageous. i, too, would like to see the angels be significantly more aggressive with payroll and this opportunity with trout in his prime years. also, i don't see how it's crazy to think that without an extension, how the next two years wouldn't affect trout's liklihood of staying with the angels.

13 minutes ago, ukyah said:

as a fourth party, i'll say i think it's funny that flops opinion, in this case, isn't treated respectfully. i may not have read everything, but i don't see where he's said anything outrageous. i, too, would like to see the angels be significantly more aggressive with payroll and this opportunity with trout in his prime years. also, i don't see how it's crazy to think that without an extension, how the next two years wouldn't affect trout's liklihood of staying with the angels.

no one has said his ideas are crazy.  It's not personal.  I just disagree with some of the stuff he's saying.  Not going to get into the other stuff.  

Of course the next two years affect whether Trout stays.  There's a ton of stuff that can happen.  Where I have disagreed with him is his contention that we have to win the next two years for him to consider it.  I personally feel like if we sell off farm assets to do so in the short term, it will actually make Trout less likely to stay.  We'll have fewer assets to support him during his actual extension.  

I agree it would be nice to see the team to expand payroll a bit in the short term.  But the team isn't going to, so in order to 'be more aggressive' for the Trout window, that would require using farm assets in trade.  Which would be substantial to give us a chance to compete with Houston.  

So let's spend some money, maybe make a lesser trade or two and try to finally have some health so we can grab the 2nd WC and see what happens.  We have to remember that the off season is just getting started and Houston still has a ton of resources to make their team even better than last year.  

2 hours ago, Dochalo said:

no one has said his ideas are crazy.  It's not personal.  I just disagree with some of the stuff he's saying.  Not going to get into the other stuff.  

Of course the next two years affect whether Trout stays.  There's a ton of stuff that can happen.  Where I have disagreed with him is his contention that we have to win the next two years for him to consider it.  I personally feel like if we sell off farm assets to do so in the short term, it will actually make Trout less likely to stay.  We'll have fewer assets to support him during his actual extension.  

I agree it would be nice to see the team to expand payroll a bit in the short term.  But the team isn't going to, so in order to 'be more aggressive' for the Trout window, that would require using farm assets in trade.  Which would be substantial to give us a chance to compete with Houston.  

So let's spend some money, maybe make a lesser trade or two and try to finally have some health so we can grab the 2nd WC and see what happens.  We have to remember that the off season is just getting started and Houston still has a ton of resources to make their team even better than last year.  

i get it. i was just making the point that differing opinions are welcome, particularly when neither are of a ridiculous, or troll, nature. i think flop and you are only shades different in the points you've been making. 

16 hours ago, Dochalo said:

The A's went from 75 to 97 wins. Each season is different, and if they are not committing to rebuilding, then they need to try to win the division. Shooting for a 2nd wildcard is just bad form. The Astros will likely lose 1-3 main guys, and may bring in reinforcements, or they may not as their own homegrown guys become more expensive.

Their pitching was unbelievable for the majority of the season last year, just 534 runs allowed, and that's why they won the division. Arguably, the A's had a better offense. (813 runs to 797 runs scored). With Keuchel, Morton, and McCullers all possibly leaving, that leaves 3 big holes in their rotation.

They used only 9 starters, and two of them were bullpen guys pitching the opening inning of BP games.

Even if they bring back one of Morton and Keuchel, they won't be as dominate. They do also have some young guys like Framber Valdez and their #1 prospect in Whitley that will likely get rotation spots.

Their payroll jumped from 124 to 160 last season, and have around 123 in commitments including arbitration guys this year. Will they go back up to 160M in payroll? They stand to lose Keuchel, Morton, McCann, Sipp, Gattis, Gonzalez and Maldonado. They'll need to bring in rotation help, a Catcher, OF help, and a DH, and also prepare for next years deals when some of their arbitration guys become more expensive and Verlander and Cole are free agents in 2020.

The division is not out of reach in 2019 or 2020, just have to make smart moves and hope for a little luck.

13 minutes ago, Hubs said:

The A's went from 75 to 97 wins. Each season is different, and if they are not committing to rebuilding, then they need to try to win the division. Shooting for a 2nd wildcard is just bad form. The Astros will likely lose 1-3 main guys, and may bring in reinforcements, or they may not as their own homegrown guys become more expensive.

Their pitching was unbelievable for the majority of the season last year, just 534 runs allowed, and that's why they won the division. Arguably, the A's had a better offense. (813 runs to 797 runs scored). With Keuchel, Morton, and McCullers all possibly leaving, that leaves 3 big holes in their rotation.

They used only 9 starters, and two of them were bullpen guys pitching the opening inning of BP games.

Even if they bring back one of Morton and Keuchel, they won't be as dominate. They do also have some young guys like Framber Valdez and their #1 prospect in Whitley that will likely get rotation spots.

Their payroll jumped from 124 to 160 last season, and have around 123 in commitments including arbitration guys this year. Will they go back up to 160M in payroll? They stand to lose Keuchel, Morton, McCann, Sipp, Gattis, Gonzalez and Maldonado. They'll need to bring in rotation help, a Catcher, OF help, and a DH, and also prepare for next years deals when some of their arbitration guys become more expensive and Verlander and Cole are free agents in 2020.

The division is not out of reach in 2019 or 2020, just have to make smart moves and hope for a little luck.

I just don't want them to trade away their top prospects based on needing not only good luck for us, but bad luck for Houston.  

I hope we improve the team without damaging their future.  to me, that would be a smart move.