• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How about Ben Zobrist?

Dtwncbad

The dude is old but he is still plenty good.  He is fully capable of playing RF and obviously brings additional versatility at other positions.

He instantly becomes the obvious leadoff hitter.  His contract expires after 2019.

At 37 years old with an expiring contract, I doubt the Angels would have to give up anything that would produce any heartburn.  Would the Cubs deal him?  Don't know, but they already said nobody was umtouchable.

Obviously the Angels would either need to include Calhoun or deal him elsewhere.

As an isolated move, this team would be clearly improved.

2 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

The dude is old but he is still plenty good.  He is fully capable of playing RF and obviously brings additional versatility at other positions.

He instantly becomes the obvious leadoff hitter.  His contract expires after 2019.

At 37 years old with an expiring contract, I doubt the Angels would have to give up anything that would produce any heartburn.  Would the Cubs deal him?  Don't know, but they already said nobody was umtouchable.

Obviously the Angels would either need to include Calhoun or deal him elsewhere.

As an isolated move, this team would be clearly improved.

As a way to trade Kole, perhaps.  I would rather sign McCutchen depending on the amount of years it would take.  Then swap Kole for a pitcher a team is looking to unload.  What Zobrist brings is that ability to play all over the field which is what I think they will do with Fletcher, although he hasn’t shown the on base skills that Zobrist has.  

7 minutes ago, Stradling said:

As a way to trade Kole, perhaps.  I would rather sign McCutchen depending on the amount of years it would take.  Then swap Kole for a pitcher a team is looking to unload.  What Zobrist brings is that ability to play all over the field which is what I think they will do with Fletcher, although he hasn’t shown the on base skills that Zobrist has.  

But do you think McCutcheon will take a one year deal?  I don't see him doing that.  Zobrist has one year left at $14m.

3 minutes ago, True Grich said:

I thought trading Kole was related to shedding salary.... Zobrist is making much more.

I don't think trafing Kole is about shedding salary as much as it is getting rid of inefficient salaries.

Zobrist is worth his $14m.  Kole Isn't worth even half his salary.

4 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Do you think Brantley would do a two year deal?  I guess deep down I think he gets three, but if he would consider two I love that idea.

Markakis is probably a savy one year deal if the market breaks right. . .

I have no idea about Brantley, I am just kind of using last year as a point of reference.  It is totally possible that I am way off base and McCutchen or Brantley are this years version of Lorenzo Cain from last year, where they get 5 year deals.  Both McCutchen and Brantley are entering their age 32 season, just like Cain was last year.  It just feels to me that the two this year, are trending downward and might be able to be had for 2 years.  I think if someone is going to take a risk and give one of the two a longer deal it is Brantley, but that is simply my perception and not really based on anything other than how I feel about the players.  

Just now, GrittyVeterans said:

I will never understand the infatuation with old players.

I am not infatuated with any old players.  Generally speaking I have no interest.

But here and there you can be surgical in solving a problem with a guy that performs.  Zobrist is a good baseball player despite his age.

5 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

For one season, Zobrist would be intriguing.   He would have to mainly play RF though, wouldn't he, assuming Kole is traded for someone's somewhat pricey pitcher nearing FA?

Why can't he play 2B with Fletcher as UT IF? He'd see enough time at 1B and RF as well. 

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Show me your list of young free agents that you can sign within budget.   I’d rather have McCutchen than Hermosillo.  

Ok there is a big difference between McCuthen and Donaldson who are 32 and Zobrist/Kinsler types who are 36/37. Those 4-5 years in sports are huge

i am 100% in agreement that McCuthen would be a great add

my problem is adding guys who are entering their late 30s. If you have to look at a guy and be like ...”wow it’s surprising this guy hasn’t declined yet”..it’s lrobably not a great idea for this team to sign him

49 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

For one season, Zobrist would be intriguing.   He would have to mainly play RF though, wouldn't he, assuming Kole is traded for someone's somewhat pricey pitcher nearing FA?

My perspective is you get him to be the everyday RF.  Get rid of Calhoun.

The fact that he is able to play other positions is just a bonus.

I would still be interested in getting something more established for either  2B or 3B with Cozart playing the other.

This would leave Fletcher as the utility player, where I think he would thrive.

I don't have a spot for Taylor Ward in my preferred plan.  It's not personal.  Just trying to put a good team on the field.

Zobrist will be 38, and as someone that has watched him since he's been with the Cubs, he's slowing down. His numbers are a bit deceiving IMO, and it's pretty clear that he won't have the talent around him here, that he's had in Chicago.. Hard to argue that he isn't better than Kole...but we all know what happens to players coming here in the golden years of their careers..

I'd look around.