• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

C Kevan Smith

Hubs

Seriously though, that's an interesting pick up. Pretty rare that you'd see a player at any position in their prime with his numbers DFA'd. But a catcher with those numbers? You have to think someone would've shown interest. If he can be even a passable defensive catcher, that would be a huge steal for the Angels. He'd be a very good platoon partner. 

Or with his ability with the bat, the Angels could try to use him as a backup at 1B as well. Or if the athleticism is present he could give a corner outfield a try. 

Chances are, he's just one of those guys the Angels grabbed right now and hope to sneak through waivers later, but it's at least interesting. 

20 hours ago, Dochalo said:

caught 7 of 48 stealing.  poor framing stats.  lots of wild pitches relative to innings played (of course that could be related to his pitching staff).  

also, recently had ankle surgery.  

So he's the star player in the Realmuto trade package?

15 hours ago, CDiaz27? said:

Ones gonna get the boot 

i would assume so as well, i just dont see this guy, even though he has a potentially better bat than either of our two, as being any kind of answer.  We need more offensive production from the position but not at the cost of anything resembling defense, this guy seems all bat no glove/arm at a glance.  Certainly not anything i had in mind.   

read a couple scouting reports that he's never graded out well with blocking or glove work but has a strong arm.  played QB in college.  Has good bat to ball skills and sneaky power.  

outside of the qb thing, his profile sounds a lot like Taylor Ward.  

based on his stats, he seems to hit lefties a bit better as well.  

the timing on this is interesting because I figured Hudson was a DFA candidate because they're going to have a bit of a crunch on their 40 man very soon. 

6 hours ago, Dochalo said:

read a couple scouting reports that he's never graded out well with blocking or glove work but has a strong arm.  played QB in college.  Has good bat to ball skills and sneaky power.  

outside of the qb thing, his profile sounds a lot like Taylor Ward.  

based on his stats, he seems to hit lefties a bit better as well.  

the timing on this is interesting because I figured Hudson was a DFA candidate because they're going to have a bit of a crunch on their 40 man very soon. 

I mean, we can call it a crunch, but I think if we're all being honest, there's quite a bit of dead weight on that 40-man. There are several players, that are the types that you keep if there isn't a crunch, but if there is, you should be fine letting them go.

Miguel Almonte, Parker Bridwell, Odirasmer Despaigne, Luke Farrell, Deck McGuire, Noe Ramirez, Kaleb Cowart, Sherman Johnson, Jefry Marte.....

I'd like to see the. Hold onto Farrell and Almonte, because I've seen what Eppler is capable of when he buys low on a pitcher.  But the other seven....well let's just say we should be fine protecting everyone we need to from the rule 5 draft and sign a couple free agents, and even then there wouldn't be much of a crunch.

A crunch is what the Padres and Yankees are facing. Ours situation is just a gigantic opportunity to improve.

On 10/26/2018 at 7:12 PM, floplag said:

you have never hurt my feeling, you just go out of your way to be an ass too  often for my tastes and im not the type to simply let it pass so, if youre going to dish it out be prepared to take a little 

This post has a subliminal message:

On 10/26/2018 at 7:12 PM, floplag said:

your.....ass......tastes.....simply........dish it out..........take a little 

That's disgusting, flop.

Just now, floplag said:

So.. im concerned, suddenly noones talking about catcher, are we legit thinking this is starter level material?  
I dont see it that way, if this is our upgrade were in deep doodoo. 

No we need a primary catcher. All of these pickups are to provide options in the backup role and depth at AA/AAA for the Big League team, period. Goddammit flop you just made me pull a Sean Spicer!!!! F***!!!!!

Eppler has said this off season that the club will look at catching help outside of the organization.  I highly doubt Kevan Smith is who he was talking about.  I am thinking he will fill the position year to year.  So expect a guy like Kurt Suzuki to be the target.  Shouldn’t cost much, is a pretty good defensive catcher if I remember correctly.  He hit .270 last year with a .330 OBP and had a 108 OPS+, which is solid for a catcher.  He only made $1.5 million this last year, so will likely get a similar deal this year.  

Kevan Smith is just a guy you pick up as an insurance piece, who can hit pretty damn well for the position.