• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Cubs Will Not Retain Chili Davis as Hitting Coach

Mark68

2 hours ago, WeatherWonk said:

So, we can put a man on the moon and shrink a computer to the size of a dime, but we cant get an electronic strike zone to change for each batter? I'm not buying it.

An electronic strike zone will make less mistakes, if any..........and the game wont be held up by glaring or arguing the call. 

And it will be nice to see the whole ridiculousness of "framing" disappear. 

Maybe I'm old school, but I don't mind the human element of calling balls and strikes. If a pitcher is wild, he may not get the benefit of a borderline call. If a catcher is good at framing and not moving too much no matter where the pitch is, he may buy a strike or two for his pitcher. I'm fine with it. What I don't like is the 3-5 minute delays to get a call on a play that I can call in an instant from looking at one replay.

2 hours ago, WeatherWonk said:

So, we can put a man on the moon and shrink a computer to the size of a dime, but we cant get an electronic strike zone to change for each batter? I'm not buying it.

An electronic strike zone will make less mistakes, if any..........and the game wont be held up by glaring or arguing the call. 

And it will be nice to see the whole ridiculousness of "framing" disappear. 

Framing is a art and is taught as early as Little league. 

9 hours ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

Maybe I'm old school, but I don't mind the human element of calling balls and strikes. If a pitcher is wild, he may not get the benefit of a borderline call. If a catcher is good at framing and not moving too much no matter where the pitch is, he may buy a strike or two for his pitcher. I'm fine with it. What I don't like is the 3-5 minute delays to get a call on a play that I can call in an instant from looking at one replay.

I would rather just get the call correct. 

“But regardless of who’s there, certain players there are going to have to make some adjustments, because the game’s changed, and pitchers are pitching them differently. They’re not pitching to launch angles and fly balls and all that anymore. They’re pitching away from that."

There is still a lot of home runs being launched but we've definitely seen batting averages and on base percentages drop as too many guys are trying to be a three outcome player. I think Davis is on the right course of adapting to the pitching.

That's why Iike watching guys like Trout, Ohtani as well as Fletcher because they are working with what they are given and not actively trying for the big hit every swing. 

Over the past 15 years or so (available line drive data), there has been a steady decline in wRC+ of line drives and a significant increase for that of fly balls.  Slightly improved results from hitting grounders during that time.  So the true benefit of the shift for defenses has been to have better positioning for liners.  

Yet overall, run scoring hasn't really changed.  If pitchers adjust to the hitters by trying to decrease fly ball rates and negate a significant part of launch angle success, guys will got back to focusing on hitting line drives.  I think we'll see more and more fastballs up and in particular, up and in as well as an increase rate of breaking pitches.