• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Cubs Will Not Retain Chili Davis as Hitting Coach

Mark68

The Cubs hitters were a mess in Aug and Sept, but before that, everything was working great. I don't claim to fully understand it, but somehow there needs to be a balance between the new hitting philosophy of swing hard, exit velocity and launch angle...and see the ball, hit the ball (Chili's philosophy) 

The Cubs hitters looked lost the last 2 months of the season.

I really decry the lack of discipline in hitters, these days. They swing at so many bad pitches. It's been very apparent in the playoffs. The Rockies were the poster child for this malady. 

No wonder K's are setting records each year. 

The uneven strike zone, from ump to ump, is also probably responsible. 

I have always been a bit of a baseball purist, but I think I am onboard with an electronically determined strike zone. Why should hitters have to relearn the strike zone each and every night?

The Cubs scored 1 or 0 runs in 41 games. That's 1/4 of the season.

Darvish and Morrow broke down, Bryant missed 40 or 50 games, Heyward, Schwarber, and Contreras sucked all year..and Joe was left juggling everything and he made some real headscratching moves...sometimes it looked like he was just guessing.

13 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

Managers don't matter.  *Maybe* one or two games a season. 

- Angelswin consensus

By AngelsWin consensus you mean a few of us think that a manager over the course of a year doesn’t have as big of an impact as the blowhards say he does.  Keep repeating it yk, you aren’t getting any closer to the truth each time you do, but it does give you the attention you are seeking when you post it.  

12 minutes ago, WeatherWonk said:

I really decry the lack of discipline in hitters, these days. They swing at so many bad pitches. It's been very apparent in the playoffs. The Rockies were the poster child for this malady. 

No wonder K's are setting records each year. 

The uneven strike zone, from ump to ump, is also probably responsible. 

I have always been a bit of a baseball purist, but I think I am onboard with an electronically determined strike zone. Why should hitters have to relearn the strike zone each and every night?

I too hate the all or nothing type of hitting, but the strike zone from ump to ump has nothing to do with it, that has been the same forever, and actually probably gotten better in the last decade or so.  The NL used to be known as the high strike league when the umps were AL and NL umps.  But you’d think the strike zone has changed or more normalized with things like stat cast and the k zone.  Not saying it is great, but it is certainly better, just ask Eric Gregg.  

Just now, Stradling said:

By AngelsWin consensus you mean a few of us think that a manager over the course of a year doesn’t have as big of an impact as the blowhards say he does.  Keep repeating it yk, you aren’t getting any closer to the truth each time you do, but it does give you the attention you are seeking when you post it.  

Practically every individual game during the playoffs, a manager gets called out for poor managing.

Yet, when anybody dares criticize Sosh, the old canard gets trotted out that a manager,  over the course of a season,  is only responsible for a game or two variance.

I am fascinated by the dichotomy.

1 minute ago, yk9001 said:

Practically every individual game during the playoffs, a manager gets called out for poor managing.

Yet, when anybody dares criticize Sosh, the old canard gets trotted out that a manager,  over the course of a season,  is only responsible for a game or two variance.

I am fascinated by the dichotomy.

I have read enough that says over the course of a season the best and worst managers might have a 5 game swing.  Scioscia wasn’t the best and he wasn’t the worst, so if you want to call it 3 games, go for it, assuming we replaced him with the best or the worst.  Talent wins, it almost always does over the course of a season.  In a single game, with everything on the line could a manager make a bad call, sure, but we also have zero idea if he made the “right call” if it would work or not.  So in game 4 if Aaron Boone went to the pen earlier and took CC out would the pen have been able to hold the Sox an extra inning or two?  I have no idea.  Sometimes the right moves don’t work.  Hell, I remember a game where Scioscia brought in Street with a 3 run lead, the absolute right call and they lost.  I am pretty sure this was in 2015 when we finished a game out of the playoffs.  It is super easy to see when a move doesn’t work, but it doesn’t always mean it was the wrong call, just a call that didn’t work. 

Also you are probably aware of the fact that the guys like myself that didn’t criticize Scioscia are not the ones criticizing other managers, so the point you are making, well you aren’t making.  

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

Anyone who criticizes Scioscia = blowhard

Got it.

3 hours ago, Stradling said:

I have read enough that says over the course of a season the best and worst managers might have a 5 game swing.  Scioscia wasn’t the best and he wasn’t the worst, so if you want to call it 3 games, go for it, assuming we replaced him with the best or the worst.  Talent wins, it almost always does over the course of a season.  In a single game, with everything on the line could a manager make a bad call, sure, but we also have zero idea if he made the “right call” if it would work or not.  So in game 4 if Aaron Boone went to the pen earlier and took CC out would the pen have been able to hold the Sox an extra inning or two?  I have no idea.  Sometimes the right moves don’t work.  Hell, I remember a game where Scioscia brought in Street with a 3 run lead, the absolute right call and they lost.  I am pretty sure this was in 2015 when we finished a game out of the playoffs.  It is super easy to see when a move doesn’t work, but it doesn’t always mean it was the wrong call, just a call that didn’t work. 

Also you are probably aware of the fact that the guys like myself that didn’t criticize Scioscia are not the ones criticizing other managers, so the point you are making, well you aren’t making.  

Likely this game...it was quite memorable

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/ANA/ANA201509130.shtml

2 hours ago, mulwin444 said:

Likely this game...it was quite memorable

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/ANA/ANA201509130.shtml

Oh yeah.

And then there was this one:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/ANA/ANA200907070.shtml

I was there. Scioscia had nobody warming as this nightmare unfolded. He got Bulger up at the very last minute but it was too late.

top of the 5th: single, single, home run, double, walk, walk, wild pitch, single. Six runs.

There were many other instances like this during Scioscia's tenure here.

Edited by fan_since79

5 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

He's been fired by two teams in the last 12 months.

Chili Davis' post playing history is a bit checkered. 

Players seemed to like him as a team-mate -- I still remember seeing him hit a grand slam in Anaheim Stadium (for the Angels) back when it was really the Big A.

As a coach/ hitting coach he apparently is difficult to deal with/ get along with.........in addition to 'been fired by two teams in the last 12 months' I seem to recall he's been let go by a team or team(s) in the past as well..........hard to say.

I'm thinking the Halos may be best sticking with Brad Ausmus or Eric Chavez. Just pick one. Hopefully announce it right after the W/S is over.

I prefer Ausmus -- don't really have a reason why - perhaps because I like catchers and MIFs as managers.  Folks/posters here at Angelswin.com seem to over-whelmingly prefer Eric Chavez -- who may be the better choice to relate to today's players -- who knows?

At least Chavez can't complain about injuries and players on the DL........a significant part of his MLB playing time "days" were spent on the DL.

52 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

Oh yeah.

I was there. Scioscia had nobody warming as this nightmare unfolded. He got Bulger up at the very last minute but it was too late.

top of the 5th: single, single, home run, double, walk, walk, wild pitch, single. Six runs.

2009, awesome. We won 97 games that year, 10 games ahead of Texas.  If only we would have finished 11 games ahead of them.

2 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

Oh yeah.

Dude....you just pulled a game from 10 years ago.