• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Cool graphic on how each playoff team is contructed

6 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

It would do well for some on here to see some of these current teams, who were dogshit for a long time, built with so much homegrown talent and smaller moves...

Not only that, but to see that all the teams were primarily constructed with trades and homegrown players, complimented with a few free agent signings.

By the way, Eppler is following this blueprint.

13 minutes ago, IEAngelsfan said:

Not only that, but to see that all the teams were primarily constructed with trades and homegrown players, complimented with a few free agent signings.

By the way, Eppler is following this blueprint.

do we have two free agent signings on our team?  Cozart and Pujols.....seems like everyone else was a trade/rule V/waiver or homegrown/international signing.

Arcia, Blash, and EYjr are minor league free agent

41 minutes ago, stevestevens said:

do we have two free agent signings on our team?  Cozart and Pujols.....seems like everyone else was a trade/rule V/waiver or homegrown/international signing.

Arcia, Blash, and EYjr are minor league free agent

And Cozart and Pujols are probably the two worst underperformers on the team. Free agency these days is just a poor investment. 

If I were a GM I'd probably be making phone calls like Dipoto does simply to see if I could find the "sucker" in the room that would give up an identified piece of talent in exchange for something less. Analytics has leveled the playing field a bit in trades and player valuations but there is still that room for GM error that exists and a difference in how two teams valuate a particular player that can generate, mostly, marginal value. Question becomes is it worth the effort for a team to make multiple trades to extract that value (assuming you have an excellent evaluation staff)?

One thing thats crazy is how much this shows how the game has changed. It wasnt too long ago that teams like ny and boston were dominating by grabbing every free agent. Off the top of my head, St Louis seems to have started the trend of avoiding big money to older guys (letting pujols go was super ballsy on their end) and using stat geeks to develop from within. 

Now that seemingly everyone os on board, i wonder how the players association counters? Shorter arbitration maybe? Make these guys FAs before theyre too old?

4 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

It would do well for some on here to see some of these current teams, who were dogshit for a long time, built with so much homegrown talent and smaller moves...

The A's only have 4 players from their own drafts.

A's:

0 Waiver picks

0 Rule 5 guys

0 International picks

4/25 on the roster are their drafted guys

The other 21: 14 through trades, 7 FA's. 

Trades I can understand: They draft and develop guys and then sell them when their value is high. I'm genuinely surprised to see nothing in the top 3 categories and so little from their own drafts. 

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

One thing thats crazy is how much this shows how the game has changed. It wasnt too long ago that teams like ny and boston were dominating by grabbing every free agent. 

I remember reading an article years ago that groused that the Yankees treated the All Star Game like a low end swap meet, casing out who they were going to buy.

2 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

One thing thats crazy is how much this shows how the game has changed. It wasnt too long ago that teams like ny and boston were dominating by grabbing every free agent. Off the top of my head, St Louis seems to have started the trend of avoiding big money to older guys (letting pujols go was super ballsy on their end) and using stat geeks to develop from within. 

Now that seemingly everyone os on board, i wonder how the players association counters? Shorter arbitration maybe? Make these guys FAs before theyre too old?

Steroid use or non steroid use has changed the game. Back when bonds was killing it at 41 people gave Pujols people 10 year contracts at 32. But it changed. People are declining at more levels. Once you hit 32 that’s it you’re going to be going in decline for the most part. 

I think an interesting graphic would be to see how much of each playoff vs. non-playoff team's payroll went to each of those categories. How much are teams overpaying for their homegrown players later in their careers vs. trading vs. signing free agents. Obviously homegrown players may in many ways be cheaper prior to free agency, but, afterwards, may be just as expensive.

Additionally, just listing the playoff roster is not a completely fair analysis of how a playoff team was created. Trades and injuries happen throughout the season, so, seeing the total size and depth of a team is very important. Health plays a very substantial role in who does or does not make the playoffs, so, it would be interesting to see how a team made it with all the players who appeared throughout the season as well as the number of players used throughout the season.