• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Christian Yelich

GrittyVeterans

22 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

Probably the front runner for NL MVP at this point. Missed opportunity

I wonder if the Angels even made an offer...

I fear not getting one of Machado/Arenado will end up the same as this

Seemed like everyone was comfortable that Calhoun was good enough.

He wasn't.

I was very interested in landing Stanton because he was an obvious upgrade. Yet anyone can slump.  He did.  He "stunk" for a while but what does his down year ultimately look like compared to Calhoun who also slumped?  Stanton had an 842 OPS in his "slump" year.  Calhoun is at .666.

This is a perfect example to make the point that anyone can slump.  Better players are better players in apples to apples comparisons.  Calhoun slump vs. Stanton slump. .  Stanton is better.  Calhoun career year vs. Stanton career year. . .Stanton is better.

So you don't pass on better players because they can slump.

Maybe we have to start looking at way to get better even if the player proposed to be replaced is "good enough."

I think my disinterest in Ward is squarely at the center of this point.

Not being interested in pursuing a Manny Machado when you have Taylor Ward would be like having no interest in a top of the rotation starter because you have Nick Tropeano.

The trade definitely looks like a steal now, especially considering how badly Brinson--the top prize of the trade--flopped in the majors. But there's still a lot of upside there, as with Harrison, and also Diaz and Yamanato.

At the time of the trade, Yelich was a young cost-controlled star. That trade package seemed pretty fair; Sickels had them grade at B+, B, B, and C+...a very nice package. The Angels equivalent now would be something like Marsh, Jones, Rengifo and Soriano, maybe more.

Would I make that trade now? Absolutely. A year ago, assuming 2017 Yelich and the Angels prospects after this year? Probably, but it would be closer than now.

Anyhow, if the Angels made an inquiry the Marlins probably said "Jo Adell, please." Chances are Adell won't be as good as Yelich, but he certainly could be. So Adell plus two or three other good prospects would have been tough to let go of.

5 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

The trade definitely looks like a steal now, especially considering how badly Brinson--the top prize of the trade--flopped in the majors. But there's still a lot of upside there, as with Harrison, and also Diaz and Yamanato.

At the time of the trade, Yelich was a young cost-controlled star. That trade package seemed pretty fair; Sickels had them grade at B+, B, B, and C+...a very nice package. The Angels equivalent now would be something like Marsh, Jones, Rengifo and Soriano, maybe more.

Would I make that trade now? Absolutely. A year ago, assuming 2017 Yelich and the Angels prospects after this year? Probably, but it would be closer than now.

Anyhow, if the Angels made an inquiry the Marlins probably said "Jo Adell, please." Chances are Adell won't be as good as Yelich, but he certainly could be. So Adell plus two or three other good prospects would have been tough to let go of.

I wanted Yellich, but we didn’t have the depth of prospects behind what it would have taken to get him to make the trade make sense.  

I said all along he'd be the perfect fit for our payroll, offense, defense, top of the lineup...I even suggested flipping Calhoun for a free agent to be SP who was, at the time, underwhelming like Happ or Corbin. Both of those deals would have made a big impact on this year's team.

Not sure the Angels prospects had enjoyed the necessary hype or development to have gotten a deal done, but I would have been comfortable with Adell, Suarez, one of Thaiss/Ward/Marsh/Jones and a low level guy and I still think it would have been worth it.

That said, I'm leaning to see a new window starting in '19, so no problem having passed on it now.

Just now, totdprods said:

I said all along he'd be the perfect fit for our payroll, offense, defense, top of the lineup...I even suggested flipping Calhoun for a free agent to be SP who was underwhelming like Happ or Corbin.

Not sure the Angels prospects had enjoyed the necessary hype or development to have gotten a deal done, but I would have been comfortable with Adell, Suarez, one of Thaiss/Ward/Marsh/Jones and a low level guy and I still think it would have been worth it.

Yea, I agree with this.  These prospects are rated much higher now, so who’s to say we could have acquired him even for a package of our best at the time prospects.  I remember people talking about the prospects going the other way and thinking the Marlins did ok with that trade.  But I could be misremembering.  

Ya it’s just unfortunate timing.  The Angels farm still had some stink on it.  So I’m certain that even if we were looking into it we probably wouldn’t have been able to match the Brewers or others packages.  The Angels development system had a big year and the general consensus that our farm is much better will help a lot going forward when these kinds of things come up.