• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Who Gets Called Up in September?

tomsred

3 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Pujols has barely made it through this year's 1st base activity and will see less next season. The Angels need a permanent solution over there instead of a third rate platoon with Albert. 

We aren't getting a permanent solution with a short bench.  Unless that permanent solution is something like Ward playing first and third.  There is nothing wrong with signing a veteran corner infielder.  Hell sign a good 4th outfielder than can play RF and use Kole at first a bit next year.  

1 minute ago, Troll Daddy said:

So in your opinion ... Eppler’s first pick in the draft as the Angels new GM was basically a whiff. I’m shocked he didn’t know about Pujols being on the team. 

Personally, I expect a first found pick to have a shot at making the team at some point. You might be right. 

What does it have to be a whiff?  Prospects have value as trade revenue.  He obviously knew Albert was on the team, but he had zero idea that Ohtani would be here when he drafted Thaiss. You can see without squinting that the Angels carried two first base only guys in 2015 and 2016 and 2017, with Albert and Cron.  Then when we acquire Ohtani we now only have room for one of them.  Could this change, sure, as long as Eppler carries a shorter bullpen and adds one more roster spot.  

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

What does it have to be a whiff?  Prospects have value as trade revenue.  He obviously knew Albert was on the team, but he had zero idea that Ohtani would be here when he drafted Thaiss. You can see without squinting that the Angels carried two first base only guys in 2015 and 2016 and 2017, with Albert and Cron.  Then when we acquire Ohtani we now only have room for one of them.  Could this change, sure, as long as Eppler carries a shorter bullpen and adds one more roster spot.  

It’s not just any prospect but the 16th pick in the 2016 draft with a hefty signing bonus. Sorry if you feel that I’m calling you out. 

Ohtani is a pitcher first and a part time DH. If god forbid he needs TJ surgery he’ll be out for awhile. First base is wide open imo. I’m not ready to call a first round pick a bust just yet. 

Angels do need pitching  ... it’s possible Thaiss is a big disappointment? If you have to package the 16th pick in the draft to get a pitcher ... bust! 

5 minutes ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

My shortlist:

Pitchers: Buttrey, Paredes

Catchers: Briceno

Infielders: Fernandez, Thaiss, Rengifo, Fontana

Outfielders: Blash, Hermosillo

Trout, Skaggs, Tropeano returning from the DL, add Despaigne.

That's 38 players.

I would personally like to see Adell and Suarez in September, maybe Canning as well. I would rather see Walsh called up than Fontana.

I think calling up Adell would be a nice treat for the Angels #1 prospect even if it’s just to sit on the bench and hang. 

I’m not sure how all that roster stuff works  ... maybe it’s not doable. 

5 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

It’s not just any prospect but the 16th pick in the 2016 draft with a hefty signing bonus. Sorry if you feel that I’m calling you out. 

Ohtani is a pitcher first and a part time DH. If god forbid he needs TJ surgery he’ll be out for awhile. First base is wide open imo. I’m not ready to call a first round pick a bust just yet. 

Angels do need pitching  ... it’s possible Thaiss is a big disappointment? If you have to package the 16th pick in the draft to get a pitcher ... bust! 

No, I don't think you are calling me out, but because you trade a prospect doesn't make him a bust.  Think of all of these prospects that are traded, they are traded because they have value.  The 16th pick in the draft doesn't mean a lot, what if you traded him for the 10th pick in the draft that happens to be a pitcher?  

It is a tough to call Ohtani a pitcher first when he isn't pitching, but I agree with you on that.  First base is not wide open, Albert is there.  We actually have a larger bench when Ohtani isn't pitching because we carry one less starting pitcher.  Right now our bullpen has a ton of guys in it, it is almost ridiculous, but here are the names, Alvarez, Anderson, Bedrosian, Jerez, Johnson, Morales, Parker, Ramirez and Robles.  That is a 9 man bullpen, and that is without including tonight's "starter" Taylor Cole.  If Ohtani pitches next year we have to hope he can pitch every 5th day instead of once a week, or else that is one less roster spot available.  My guess is we are going to see what we saw this year, but with a different cast.  My opinion is they won't have room on the roster for 2 first base only guys.  

7 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Was Sean Newcomb a bust?

Of course not and Thaiss should absolutely be moved without hesitation if the right deal comes up for Eppler

the disappointing thing is that he’s not going to get a chance no matter what likely. They’ve committed to Pujols for next year already it’s starting to look like and that means they’re committing to a below average 1B production for another entire season. It’s just frustrating as a fan to see a guy with low upside hack around out there. It reminds me of that extra year they gave Abreu when it was clear he was past his expiration date 

so yeah, might as well just trade him before his value drops and be done with it if that’s the case

Just now, BackUpTheTruck said:

I think both Ward and Fletcher should take reps at first base.

Honestly, Fletcher should be taking reps in left field and center field and trying to become a Chris Taylor/Chone Figgins type that can play all over the diamond. He’s got 3 of the hardest positions figured out already and he’s a good enough athlete to do it

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

Historically we have been in some sort of contention, less than five games out, going into September.  My personal preference is we only call up enough guys to get as much of a feel for whether they will be ready next year as they can.  The more options Scioscia has, the more bitching that will take place on here.  Like I said in another thread we will see guys like Cowart get some starts at third or at second and that will cause the dudes on here to get pissed.  This isn’t quite the year for a lot of call ups in my opinion.  I am not sure if Rengifo has to be on the 40 man next year, but if he does he should come up, if not my guess is we won’t see him until he forces his way into an every day role on the team. 

The more I think about it, Thiass is the odd man out and should be the guy traded in a package for a starting pitcher.  

The thinking being that Walsh would then become the 1B when Pujols becomes part-time?

14 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

Of course not and Thaiss should absolutely be moved without hesitation if the right deal comes up for Eppler

the disappointing thing is that he’s not going to get a chance no matter what likely. They’ve committed to Pujols for next year already it’s starting to look like and that means they’re committing to a below average 1B production for another entire season. It’s just frustrating as a fan to see a guy with low upside hack around out there. It reminds me of that extra year they gave Abreu when it was clear he was past his expiration date 

so yeah, might as well just trade him before his value drops and be done with it if that’s the case

Except Abreu got a two year deal from the Angels following a VERY good year with the Angels.   

24 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

Not sure what your point is

And the last year he should have been moved on from in spring Training as it was clear we had better talent. Similar to Pujols

My point is giving a two year deal to a guy that hit .290 with a .390 OBP isn’t really giving him “an extra year”.   I thought it was reasonable.  Also when they gave him the deal he performed at a level that wasn’t clear “he was past his expiration point”. 

22 minutes ago, Stradling said:

My point is giving a two year deal to a guy that hit .290 with a .390 OBP isn’t really giving him “an extra year”.   I thought it was reasonable.  Also when they gave him the deal he performed at a level that wasn’t clear “he was past his expiration point”. 

I’m talking about the final year of that contract, not giving him the contract 

regardless, Pujols just isn’t good anymore. Him playing every day sets us back next year right from the get go

its frustrating

26 minutes ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

Does anyone here think Upton can realstically transition to first base? I don't think he can.

I do think Calhoun can learn first base though.

Calhoun has only one year left on his deal and is a GG outfielder ... maybe if Ward becomes a liability defensively on the hot corner he can learn first base. Being 5'9" should work in his favor ?

As much as I’d like to see Pujols put to pasture, the Angels haven’t had—and still don’t have—an obviously superior option. Thaiss, Fernandez, and Walsh could all be better, at least eventually, but none are clearly better right now.

That might all change next year. One of those three could step up, or Adell or Marsh could come knocking at the door and push Kole to 1B.

The point being that as mediocre as Albert has been, the other options aren’t hugely better...but hopefully soon will be.

19 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

I’m talking about the final year of that contract, not giving him the contract 

regardless, Pujols just isn’t good anymore. Him playing every day sets us back next year right from the get go

its frustrating

The final year was the second year of the two year contract he received.  

12 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Graterol is no longer in the organization. Jewell is out for the season. Canning is probably maxed out on his innings. Morales is already up. 

Of guys not here right now....

Briceño, Despaigne, Blash, Hermosillo, Paredes, Fernandez, Fontana, Suarez (not on 40 man),  Buttrey. 

Also, Shoemaker (not on 40 man).

Also they’ll activate Skaggs and Tropeano. 

That would be 37 players

Thats 2 40-man spots they need to clear (McGuire and Almonte?)

How about Rhoades and Tazawa?