• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Who Gets Called Up in September?

tomsred

My guess is Fernandez, Briceno, Gaterol, Sherman Johnson, Blash, Hermasillo, and Fontana among the position players.

Pitchers: Morales, Suarez, Rhoads, Paredes, Canning and Jewell. (I am assuming Despaigne will be called up this month).

Anyone have a different take? 

31 minutes ago, tomsred said:

My guess is Fernandez, Briceno, Gaterol, Sherman Johnson, Blash, Hermasillo, and Fontana among the position players.

Pitchers: Morales, Suarez, Rhoads, Paredes, Canning and Jewell. (I am assuming Despaigne will be called up this month).

Anyone have a different take? 

Graterol is no longer in the organization. Jewell is out for the season. Canning is probably maxed out on his innings. Morales is already up. 

Of guys not here right now....

Briceño, Despaigne, Blash, Hermosillo, Paredes, Fernandez, Fontana, Suarez (not on 40 man),  Buttrey. 

Also, Shoemaker (not on 40 man).

Also they’ll activate Skaggs and Tropeano. 

That would be 37 players

Thats 2 40-man spots they need to clear (McGuire and Almonte?)

Edited by Jeff Fletcher

40 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Graterol is no longer in the organization. Jewell is out for the season. Canning is probably maxed out on his innings. Morales is already up. 

Briceño, Despaigne, Blash, Hermosillo, Paredes, Fernandez, Fontana, Suarez (not on 40 man),  Buttrey. 

That would be 37 players

Thanks for the update Jeff, forgot bout Morales being up.  What happened to Jewell, I missed the news on that front?  And what are they going to do with Ackley, seems like it is just a waste having him around.  I guess they were hoping that someone would show some interest, and they might be able to use him in a multi-player deal?

4 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I'm not sure why Fontana and Paredes should get a look over Rengifo and Thaiss. None of those two have shown any type of upside or results in the big leagues. 

Cut Marte and add Thaiss to the 40-man.

Because Thaiss doesn’t have to be on the 40 man until next off season, if you add him to the 40 man he needs to stay there, but once the season ends all the 60 day DL guys will need to be added back on.  My guess is they already plan on cutting Marte.  

@Jeff Fletcher gave us a good list of guys who will needed to be added to the 40 this offseason in another thread. 

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

I'm not sure why Fontana and Paredes should get a look over Rengifo and Thaiss. None of those two have shown any type of upside or results in the big leagues. 

Cut Marte and add Thaiss to the 40-man.

I forgot about Rengifo. He could be added too. I’d probably take him over Thaiss for 40-man purposes. If Rengifo gets called up it would probably be in place of Fontana. 

On the other hand, if they think Pujols is going to get shut down at some point, they may want Thaiss.

As for Canning, I think the fact that he’s been throwing 50-60 pitches a game ought to tell you something. Remember they only got him in the draft because he had some arm issues, so they are probably trying to play it ultra safe for now. He’s also a 40-man issue, like Thaiss. I just don’t think they would waste a 40-man spot for 9 months or so, until he’s really ready to contribute, for the sake of him pitching 6-8 innings in September. 

11 minutes ago, wopphil said:

But isnt it historically the case that the team calls up only a few guys? An extra catcher, an outfielder, and one or two arms? I cant see them adding 4 or 5 outfielders and infielders. 

They won’t call them all up at once. I think they’ll probably call up 4-5 guys on 9/1 and then 3-4 others within a week. 

It also depends on how soon they are adding Skaggs, Tropeano, Shoemaker, Ohtani to the rotation. That’s a lot of innings to soak up from the bullpen. I’m sure they don’t want someone like Cam Bedrosian or Justin Anderson who has thrown a ton to continue to get overworked in Sept. 

Edited by Jeff Fletcher

7 minutes ago, wopphil said:

But isnt it historically the case that the team calls up only a few guys? An extra catcher, an outfielder, and one or two arms? I cant see them adding 4 or 5 outfielders and infielders. 

Historically we have been in some sort of contention, less than five games out, going into September.  My personal preference is we only call up enough guys to get as much of a feel for whether they will be ready next year as they can.  The more options Scioscia has, the more bitching that will take place on here.  Like I said in another thread we will see guys like Cowart get some starts at third or at second and that will cause the dudes on here to get pissed.  This isn’t quite the year for a lot of call ups in my opinion.  I am not sure if Rengifo has to be on the 40 man next year, but if he does he should come up, if not my guess is we won’t see him until he forces his way into an every day role on the team. 

The more I think about it, Thiass is the odd man out and should be the guy traded in a package for a starting pitcher.  

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

@Jeff Fletcher does Rengifo have to be on the 40 man this off season?

Yes, he's Rule V eligible, as is Suarez.

Walsh is too I think. He makes more sense to test out before Thaiss if they feel they need help with 1B, considering he can spot COF and maybe RP too.

Luis Pena, Connor Lillis-White, Baldoquin, Gatto, Leonardo Rivas, Brendan Sanger are a few other guys eligible for Rule V.

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

@Jeff Fletcher does Rengifo have to be on the 40 man this off season?

Yes.

This is a handy page that is mostly accurate (a few mistakes)

https://www.rosterresource.com/mlb-los-angeles-angels/

Meyer, Middleton, Ramirez, Jewell, Cozart, Shoemaker are all on the 60 now and need to be added. 

Suarez, Rengifo, Walsh, Peña need to be added. Maybe Hofacket too. 

Thats 10.

Current guys coming off as FA’s are Johnson, Rivera, Young.

To get the other 7 (plus any more for players you want to add in the winter), you’re DFA’ing guys. They can do that without too much trouble, but better be careful before you do any more.

Also, they normally make a trade or a waiver claim in early October of someone else’s 40-man surplus. That’s how they got Peña and Blake Parker.

21 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Historically we have been in some sort of contention, less than five games out, going into September.  My personal preference is we only call up enough guys to get as much of a feel for whether they will be ready next year as they can.  The more options Scioscia has, the more bitching that will take place on here.  Like I said in another thread we will see guys like Cowart get some starts at third or at second and that will cause the dudes on here to get pissed.  This isn’t quite the year for a lot of call ups in my opinion.  I am not sure if Rengifo has to be on the 40 man next year, but if he does he should come up, if not my guess is we won’t see him until he forces his way into an every day role on the team. 

The more I think about it, Thiass is the odd man out and should be the guy traded in a package for a starting pitcher.  

Thaiss was the Angels 2016 first round pick(16th)  ... and now you want to package him for a pitcher.

not happening 

It sure feels like this little bit of a 40-man traffic jam could be made a little easier with a trade, especially with names like Ward, Suarez, and Rengifo. 

Obviously I'd like to keep them and they all  fit needs, but it could be a worthy exchange to maintain some 40-man flexibility.

25 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

Thaiss was the Angels 2016 first round pick(16th)  ... and now you want to package him for a pitcher.

not happening 

It comes down to roster crunch TD.  He is probably going to spend next year in the minors because he doesn't have to be added to the 40 man.  With Albert being a 1st baseman DH, and with Ohtani on the team, much like what happened with Cron, we have no place for another 1st baseman only player.  Now it is possible that Thaiss is capable of playing outfield and I am not aware of it, if that is the case then he might have a more immediate future with the team.  I personally feel he has more value it what he can obtain for us that what he can do for us on the field with the make up of this roster.  Plus I don't really think his stock goes up spending next year in AAA.  

9 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

That would be 37 players

This feels optimistic. I've been working under the assumption that Shoemaker died about a year ago, and they have been "weekend at Bearnie's"ing him ever since. You know, rigging up some strings, putting sunglasses on him, and jerking him through "bullpen sessions".

18 minutes ago, Stradling said:

It comes down to roster crunch TD.  He is probably going to spend next year in the minors because he doesn't have to be added to the 40 man.  With Albert being a 1st baseman DH, and with Ohtani on the team, much like what happened with Cron, we have no place for another 1st baseman only player.  Now it is possible that Thaiss is capable of playing outfield and I am not aware of it, if that is the case then he might have a more immediate future with the team.  I personally feel he has more value it what he can obtain for us that what he can do for us on the field with the make up of this roster.  Plus I don't really think his stock goes up spending next year in AAA.  

So in your opinion ... Eppler’s first pick in the draft as the Angels new GM was basically a whiff. I’m shocked he didn’t know about Pujols being on the team. 

Personally, I expect a first found pick to have a shot at making the team at some point. You might be right.