• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Bees Manager Called Up to Join Angels' Coaching Staff

Warfarin

1 minute ago, Warfarin said:

Of note, this gives Eric Chavez some time to coach AAA as well.  I wonder if Chavez is someone who is on Eppler's short list of candidates.

He's been thought of throughout baseball as a future head coach, so yes this is a potentially important development. 

Also, I feel like he'd be a great fit. He's certainly familiar with the DL, would really be able to empathize with the team. 

1 minute ago, 101halo said:

He's been thought of throughout baseball as a future head coach, so yes this is a potentially important development. 

He spent the majority of his time with the A's and the "Moneyball" philosophy, so I'm guessing he's pretty familiar with analytics.  I don't know a lot about him in terms of his personality and vision, but certainly I'm intrigued by the possibility.  

1 minute ago, Warfarin said:

He spent the majority of his time with the A's and the "Moneyball" philosophy, so I'm guessing he's pretty familiar with analytics.  I don't know a lot about him in terms of his personality and vision, but certainly I'm intrigued by the possibility.  

At least we'd have the better Chavez in LA. Eric vs the Latrine is a no brainer. 

7 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Moneyball /Analytics > Scouting reports and gut feelings 

32 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

Moneyball /Analytics > Scouting reports and gut feelings 

While largely true, its also responsible for most of the problems in the game today.
The so-called three true outcomes results in more pitches, longer games, more boring games, and less of many of the things that make the game traditionally.  
I blame it for the current state of the game, and i wish it never happened. 

6 minutes ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

Arte's definition of Moneyball isn't so good.

I prefer the Moneyball version from Billy Beane Counter.

This might be too nerdy for most, but I'm somewhat worried we've crashed baseball with a circular reference. Beane trades good players to Dipoto for prospects, Dipoto and team achieves slightly better than mediocrity with new guys, following the season Beane signs now undervalued major league players from the Mariners and when they overperform on a mediocre A's team at all star break Beane trades them to M's for prospects. 

My head hurts. 

I think fletcher's answers are pretty apt, but it's too circumstantial to not have some additional meaning. 

If Sosh is leaving, you also have a ton of coaching staff that could turn over. Will Ebel or Griffin feel slighted if they don't get a chance to manage? I'm sure they're at least internal candidates. Keith Johnson too has been a loyal org soldier for awhile. Perhaps this is his opportunity to get more exposure for his potential interview - if not for a managerial post, perhaps he's a future 1B coach/bench coach if Griffin/Ebel leave with Sosh. Josh Paul could also be the leading contender, and this is just all additional opportunity for him to assess staffing too.

3 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I think fletcher's answers are pretty apt, but it's too circumstantial to not have some additional meaning. 

If Sosh is leaving, you also have a ton of coaching staff that could turn over. Will Ebel or Griffin feel slighted if they don't get a chance to manage? I'm sure they're at least internal candidates. Keith Johnson too has been a loyal org soldier for awhile. Perhaps this is his opportunity to get more exposure for his potential interview - if not for a managerial post, perhaps he's a future 1B coach/bench coach if Griffin/Ebel leave with Sosh. Josh Paul could also be the leading contender, and this is just all additional opportunity for him to assess staffing too.

There can be more than one reason to do something.

1 hour ago, floplag said:

While largely true, its also responsible for most of the problems in the game today.
The so-called three true outcomes results in more pitches, longer games, more boring games, and less of many of the things that make the game traditionally.  
I blame it for the current state of the game, and i wish it never happened. 

When it is run as a business, that business will generally always find ways to combine financial responsibility and refine and improve the business. Think of it as the three true outcomes of running a company.

10 minutes ago, Dick B Back said:

Thanks @Jeff Fletcher, I really wanna infer the arrival of Ward to see what’s real.

I am pretty confident Ward is coming. I am not saying there’s no chance they don’t also want to make the adjustments to give experience to both Johnson and Chavez, but Ward is coming. 

37 minutes ago, ettin said:

When it is run as a business, that business will generally always find ways to combine financial responsibility and refine and improve the business. Think of it as the three true outcomes of running a company.

I dont see baseball as a business, though i know most of the owners and GMs do.  And whether or not in improved it is a whole other discussion.