• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Richards, Maldonado.....

DMVol

If there was a way to trade Richards and have no hard feelings between the two where he would still consider signing with us in the off season I would trade him to a contender.  I realize he isn’t what we thought he was, but he is solid when he is on the mound and healthy.  More important than that is I don’t want him to sign with Philly in the off season and give Trout another reason to look elsewhere in 2021.  

9 minutes ago, The Boogie Man said:

If there was a way to trade Richards and have no hard feelings between the two where he would still consider signing with us in the off season I would trade him to a contender.  I realize he isn’t what we thought he was, but he is solid when he is on the mound and healthy.  More important than that is I don’t want him to sign with Philly in the off season and give Trout another reason to look elsewhere in 2021.  

I guess we need to know what the Angels are thinking with Richards.....You would think they want to see him get through the season healthy before they consider a multi-year deal....problem is, if you do that, he probably then wants to test the market and, as always, stuff can happen.....I'd consider trading him this month but only for a player or package I really liked....if the offers are underwhelming, I'd hold him and take my chances this offseason....

4 minutes ago, DMVol said:

I guess we need to know what the Angels are thinking with Richards.....You would think they want to see him get through the season healthy before they consider a multi-year deal....problem is, if you do that, he probably then wants to test the market and, as always, stuff can happen.....I'd consider trading him this month but only for a player or package I really liked....if the offers are underwhelming, I'd hold him and take my chances this offseason....

I see your point.  My thoughts are this.  I trust Eppler’s teams ability to find undervalued guys in the minors.  They were able to get a pretty good player for a guy like CJ Cron.  They got a decent pitcher back for a guy like Joe Smith.  With Richards I am sure Eppler would find actual talent for him.  

I don’t think there are enough suitors but if Maldonado was indeed traded I think that would be a HUGE indication that Scioscia is for sure not coming back and it would put to rest who is actually in charge of running the ball club.  

I wouldn't trade Richards unless we get back a top 100 prospect. 

If you can't get that then you are better of sticking a QO on him and either:

1. Getting a good injury prone pitcher at a reasonable rate without a long term commitment 

2. Getting a better long term deal with him because of the increased leverage a QO gives you.

3. Getting a compensatory round pick and big pool money. This will allow for a great draft class or the ability to sign a FA without severely limiting your draft class.

25 minutes ago, The Boogie Man said:

I don’t think there are enough suitors but if Maldonado was indeed traded I think that would be a HUGE indication that Scioscia is for sure not coming back and it would put to rest who is actually in charge of running the ball club.  

I don't think we can get equal value for Maldonado, unless a contender's starting catcher gets hurt for the season.

48 minutes ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

I don't think we can get equal value for Maldonado, unless a contender's starting catcher gets hurt for the season.

What's "equal value" for less than half a season of a C who's not signed for next year?  Honestly, I'd be fine with getting pretty much anything for him, even if it's just a bullpen arm with some upside.

1 minute ago, floplag said:

Ive heard the rumors, and while they are right, i dont see it unless the team goes into full rebuild mode. 
I cant see losing those 2 guys as anything other than a step backwards. 

They're both free agents.  For Maldonado in particular, I can't imagine there's any "loyalty" in terms of staying w/ the Angels beyond this season, so trade him if there's any market at all for him.  Could still sign him in the off-season if there's not a better option.

9 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

They're both free agents.  For Maldonado in particular, I can't imagine there's any "loyalty" in terms of staying w/ the Angels beyond this season, so trade him if there's any market at all for him.  Could still sign him in the off-season if there's not a better option.

Unless he is loyal to the team for making him an everyday starter which will allow him to command a decent little contract in the off season.  

12 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Of course, if you dont think they will stay you do what you have to do, but im hoping they will personally. 

I am intrigued to see what a Richards, Skaggs, Ohtani (if no TJS), Heaney, Barria, and Canning 6 man rotation could do in 2019.  Ohtani's and Canning's innings, and maybe even Barria's, would still need to be closely watched.   A vaguely six man rotation would still be ideal.   Skaggs, Heaney, and Richards could all make 30 starts, Canning and Barria could both make 26 starts, and Ohtani the remaining starts (around 20).     Suarez, Pena, and Castillo would be good backup.

Ohtani has only pitched about 90 innings since the start of the 2017 season in Japan, and thus I can't see him pitching over 120 innings in 2019, if no TJS.    Starting 20 games still gets Ohtani some solid pitching contributions, and good DHing time in (about 100-110 DH starts based on off days in between his starts).

1 minute ago, Tank said:

while i like what briceno has contributed so far, i think it'd be a mistake to trade machete. he carries a heavy workload and does his job well. defensively, i think he'd be tough to replace and create a hole that doesn't need to exist. 

Again, he's a free agent at the end of the year--and, realistically, this is a lost season, so I'm not that worried about creating a "hole."  Less than half season of Briceno (or almost literally any other catcher) vs the rest of the season with Maldonado would MAYBE cost one game.

52 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

What's "equal value" for less than half a season of a C who's not signed for next year?  Honestly, I'd be fine with getting pretty much anything for him, even if it's just a bullpen arm with some upside.

Equal value would be a bullpen arm, but if the bullpen arm is a longshot to make an impact for the Angels next year, I would rather have Maldonado behind the plate next year under a new contract.

7 minutes ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

Equal value would be a bullpen arm, but if the bullpen arm is a longshot to make an impact for the Angels next year, I would rather have Maldonado behind the plate next year under a new contract.

Again, though, there's nothing to indicate he wouldn't be open to coming back even if he was traded.  Or are you trying to say that your preference would be to extend him now?  I don't really think there's much incentive on either side for that to be a priority right now.