• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Now RF is a black hole

Chuck

We fixed our lack of production in LF after several years of zeroes with the trade for Justin Upton, now it's rightfield that's absolute trash. 

Without looking I venture to say that our combined slash line in rightfield since Calhoun's decline last season is incredibly impotent. 

Jon Jay would have been a good get, but who do you think is available now and at the deadline to get a bump in production at a position that should deliver positive returns?

Hermosillo, Young & Calhoun won't get it done. 

3 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

We fixed our lack of production in LF after several years of zeroes with the trade for Justin Upton, now it's rightfield that's absolute trash. 

Without looking I venture to say that our combined slash line in rightfield since Calhoun's decline last season is incredibly impotent. 

Jon Jay would have been a good get, but who do you think is available now and at the deadline to get a bump in production at a position that should deliver positive returns?

Hermosillo, Young & Calhoun won't get it done. 

It’s too bad Atlanta is playing well this year.  Nick Markakis would have been perfect for us in the short term. 

I say we let Hermosillo run with this for a little bit to see if he shows signs of improvement.  He's doing fine defensively and can definitely run.  Scioscia trusted him with the double steal.  I mean he's a 23 year old kid, I don't think we can just say after a week worth of playing time that he won't get it done.  What if we judged Trout but he same measure when he was first brought up.  Yeah, he's a 19 year old being comp'd with Mantle, but still....

4 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Domingo Santana - Brewers 4th outfielder, only because they added Yelich and Cain. He hit 30 homeruns last year.

Gregory Polanco-Left handed. Not having a good season, but .250 career hitter with good pop and speed.

That's where I would start.

Santana is a good one to target as well. 

Just now, Dtwncbad said:

Soler from KC or Nick Castellanos from Detroit.

Neither will be super cheap, but both solve the RF problem probably at a cost of an OF prospect that would end up blocked anyway with the acquisition.

I like them both but would cost a top prospect I'm guessing. 

10 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Domingo Santana - Brewers 4th outfielder, only because they added Yelich and Cain. He hit 30 homeruns last year.

Gregory Polanco-Left handed. Not having a good season, but .250 career hitter with good pop and speed.

That's where I would start.

Why the interest in a left handed bat specifically?

What good did Calhoun being left handed do?

There are not a lot of right handed hitters that struggle with right handed pitching.  If they do, they don't make it in the majors.

There is no such thing as a lineup being too right handed for this reason.

There is such a thing as being too left handed since it is COMMON that left handed hitters often struggle against left handed pitching.

There is no reason specifically pursue a left handed bat over a right handed bat.

3 minutes ago, True Grich said:

Bryce Harper!

Oh wait...

You mean this year...

You joke, but this is actually an issue.

If the front office is planning to make a run in that regard, they wont get someone like Soler who we would have for more than this year.  

I personally like the idea of Adam Jones.  BMore going nowhere and his deal is up end of year, so no long term commitment and also likely no extreme costs.   Keeps the door open for a run at a Harper should they chose to do so and buys more time for the Hermosillos of the world on the farm to get ready without being thrown out of the nest so to speak. 

Just now, Dtwncbad said:

Why the interest in a left handed bat specifically?

What good did Calhoun being left handed do?

There are not a lot of right handed hitters that struggle with right handed pitching.  If they do, they don't make it in the majors.

There is no such thing as a lineup being too right handed for this reason.

There is such a thing as being too left handed since it is COMMON that left handed hitters often struggle against left handed pitching.

There is no reason specifically pursue a left handed bat over a right handed bat.

Just to have diversity in the offense, nothing other than that. I agree with you in that it doesn't matter.

3 minutes ago, True Grich said:

He is a 10/5 guy though...

Jones is a SoCal guy so I'm sure he'd be ok with a trade to the Angels.  But he'd have be ok playing RF.  I don't recall how good his arm is, but if I recall he is accurate but not strong. 

12 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I like them both but would cost a top prospect I'm guessing. 

1 minute ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Just to have diversity in the offense, nothing other than that. I agree with you in that it doesn't matter.

I have no idea, respectfully, what is accomplished with having "diversity" in left and right handed hitters.

I would rather, by far, position by position just put together the best offense I can, and if that means all right handed hitters so be it.

(Being redundant I would avoid be all left handed since many lefties struggle against left handed pitching).

But diversity? I dont get that. 

2 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I have no idea, respectfully, what is accomplished with having "diversity" in left and right handed hitters.

I would rather, by far, position by position just put together the best offense I can, and if that means all right handed hitters so be it.

(Being redundant I would avoid be all left handed since many lefties struggle against left handed pitching).

But diversity? I dont get that. 

Don't ask me, ask the league. I said I agree with you LOL