• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Now RF is a black hole

Chuck

1 hour ago, OHTANILAND said:

Adam Jones....

Yep that’s all we need is another aging veteran in decline that would probably demand an extension with more money to wave his “no trade” clause. Oh and he’s been quite the juggernaut in Anaheim. Please say no!

2C532A33-54AC-486E-82BA-AD550AB83F12.jpeg

I have to agree here. I like Jones and always have, but no more old guys god damn it.

Just now, hangin n wangin said:

I have to agree here. I like Jones and always have, but no more old guys god damn it.

It’s a guy like Jones who is the obvious choice for a one year upgrade.   They aren’t going to acquire a 26 year old guy when they have so many future outfielders.   Getting a guy like him doesn’t hurt as he won’t cost a premium prospect package.  

3 minutes ago, The Boogie Man said:

It’s a guy like Jones who is the obvious choice for a one year upgrade.   They aren’t going to acquire a 26 year old guy when they have so many future outfielders.   Getting a guy like him doesn’t hurt as he won’t cost a premium prospect package.  

I mean, yea I get it.... but just don’t really want it. These old guys have seriously burned us and I’m over seeing it. I want to see how Herm does over there with regular at bats.

14 minutes ago, The Boogie Man said:

Why not trade a good prospect for a 26 year old on a team going nowhere?  That's where you feel confortable trading a good prospect because you are getting back a player not grossly fading.

I would argue having all those young future outfielders put you in a position to pursue a 26 year old.

9 minutes ago, The Boogie Man said:

Please stop it with your yesteryear heroes coming here to help us win a championship. This isn’t Leisure World. 

16 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Why not trade a good prospect for a 26 year old on a team going nowhere?  That's where you feel confortable trading a good prospect because you are getting back a player not grossly fading.

I would argue having all those young future outfielders put you in a position to pursue a 26 year old.

To me the upside of the prospect it would take to get that guy to me is more exciting than the reality of a guy like Soler.  

Let’s talk reality here ... it’s highly doubtful Kole is gong anywhere soon. The have a huge investment in him and are no way going to throw that away because he had a shitty couple of months or because some fans think they should eat his contract because Boston did so with Handley. 

Kole all of a sudden didn’t turn into a turd ? ... the coaching staff will do what it takes to get him back on track.

Truth be told

20 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

Let’s talk reality here ... it’s highly doubtful Kole is gong anywhere soon. The have a huge investment in him and are no way going to throw that away because he had a shitty couple of months or because some fans think they should eat his contract because Boston did so with Handley. 

Kole all of a sudden didn’t turn into a turd ? ... the coaching staff will do what it takes to get him back on track.

Truth be told

Kole has sucked since last season. I believe it was June when his demise started. 

Anyhow, I'm glad your glass belly button has been cleaned so you can type and read now. 

1 hour ago, Troll Daddy said:

Truth be told

Well said 

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

Kole has sucked since last season. I believe it was June when his demise started. 

Anyhow, I'm glad your glass belly button has been cleaned so you can type and read now. 

Kole is basicly the MLB version of the NHL's Jonathan Cheecho, just randomly Cheecho went from a guy who scored 56 & 37 goals to a guy who scored 5 goals in 61 games except Kole is declining much faster.

12 minutes ago, Scioscia4MVP said:

Kole is basicly the MLB version of the NHL's Jonathan Cheecho, just randomly Cheecho went from a guy who scored 56 & 37 goals to a guy who scored 5 goals in 61 games except Kole is declining much faster.

I wouldn’t even call what is happening to Kole a decline. It’s more like from pretty good to dead.

10 hours ago, Troll Daddy said:

He is under contract through 2019....that is not a huge investment.....

Lots of great ideas being discussed, but i think we have to remember these things dont exist in a vacuum.  

Pretty sure we would all like some form of long term answer, but it really isnt that simple. 

So many factors in this case;
-We have an investment in Kole and 2 more years i think, fixing him has merit even if it means he may not be back till ST.
-A short term answer, a veteran like Jones for example, fills the need now, and keep that open as a possibility.
-WE cannot ignore next years FA class, Harper would make a crap ton of sense, if they were willing to pay him. 
-Most of the kids are likely either not really ready as yet or dont project that high(Hermosillo), or are perhaps fairly likely AAAA guys (Blash).  honestly if those are the choices short term fine but we better get Kole back if thats your answer.
-The more long term trade options, Soler etc... will have higher costs and those available dont look like they would be worth it.  I wouldnt give a top prospect for Soler for example, but thats what he will cost
-other more high priced options (Gordon) could be had for less in terms of prospects, but theres that commitment thing that may be a problem given so much of the above. 
-perhaps most importantly, does the front office see this as a team that can make a deep playoff run.  If not then there is little reason to do anything at all.

Our BEST answer would be for Kole to get back to being a 2 WAR player in some form, but i dont see that happening quickly.  The real question is what do we do A. on the short term, and B. if he cant or doesnt do that

Flop we have Kole for one year after this one.  My thought all along was to get a guy that could come in and start now until Kole gets himself right and then that guy could become the fourth outfielder.  Would I mind if they went out and got an Adam Jones, no not at all.  I wouldn’t expect him to be a savior, just a contributor.  It doesn’t have to be Adam Jones, it just has to be someone that can put together a few good months that doesn’t cost us valuable pieces down the road.  

29 minutes ago, floplag said:

So many factors in this case;
-We have an investment in Kole and 2 more years i think, fixing him has merit even if it means he may not be back till ST.

Why does "having an investment" matter?  You can play or you can't....He can't right now....The fact that he came up through the system ought not to mean you keep running a guy out there who is hitting in the .150's......I want to win, not reward guys with playing time just because we drafted and developed them...It's a tough game because it is result based....but loyalty to "your guys" when they aren't producing is a way to miss the playoffs, again....

1 minute ago, The Boogie Man said:

Flop we have Kole for one year after this one.  My thought all along was to get a guy that could come in and start now until Kole gets himself right and then that guy could become the fourth outfielder.  Would I mind if they went out and got an Adam Jones, no not at all.  I wouldn’t expect him to be a savior, just a contributor.  It doesn’t have to be Adam Jones, it just has to be someone that can put together a few good months that doesn’t cost us valuable pieces down the road.  

Adam Jones is perfectly positioned to become a free agent while playing in a hitters ballpark right now. His numbers would certainly dip down in Anaheim. That won’t help him secure a good contract this offseason. He’s not coming here unless the Angels agree to do something stupid. 

Arte is not going to allow the budget to be increased in any way. Kole will be back in the lineup soon no matter what because he’s already paid for. I think Arte would actually be willing to increase the budget if everything was going right and if they needed just one player but that’s certainly not the case. 

4 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Why does "having an investment" matter?  You can play or you can't....He can't right now....The fact that he came up through the system ought not to mean you keep running a guy out there who is hitting in the .150's......I want to win, not reward guys with playing time just because we drafted and developed them...It's a tough game because it is result based....but loyalty to "your guys" when they aren't producing is a way to miss the playoffs, again....

Agreed 100% but unfortunately that’s not how the Angels roll. They will ride this thing out all season and don’t be surprised when you hear that they’re looking forward to his “bounce back” season next year. 

I thought  this year was his “bounceback” year.  Calhoun is not playing at a level that any major league team could tolerate from an every day player.  He’ll get another look (probably shorter then the one he’s already had this season) when he comes back.  If he hasn’t come around.  He’s going to get released.  If not released, buried in the minors.  His deal isn’t that big and he’s only under contract for one more season.  Your ridiculous pessimism with everything the Angels do is really clouding your opinion here @OHTANILAND

Edited by UndertheHalo

2 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I thought  this year was his “bounceback” year.  Calhoun is not playing at a level that any major league team could tolerate from an every day player.  He’ll get another look (probably shorter then the one he’s already had this season) when he comes back.  If he hasn’t come around.  He’s going to get released.  If not released, buried in the minors.  His deal isn’t that big and he’s only under contract for one more season.  Your ridiculous pessimism with everything the Angels do is really clouding your opinion here @OHTANILAND

You can’t possibly be surprised by his opinion.  He doesn’t even believe it, he is just looking for attention.  He keeps baiting and baiting and baiting.  

1 minute ago, UndertheHalo said:

I thought  this year was his “bounceback” year.  Calhoun is not playing at a level that any major league team could tolerate from an every day player.  He’ll get another look (probably shorter then the one he’s had this season) when he comes back.  If he hasn’t come around.  He’s going to get released.  If not released, buried in the minors.  His deal isn’t that big and he’s only under contract for one more season.  Your ridiculous pessimism with everything the Angels do is really clouding your opinion here @OHTANILAND

I disagree. They Angels remain committed to Kole and they will continue to work with him. He’s not getting DFA’d this season. He’s only half way through his current contract extension.