• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Tropeano and Barria pitch on the same day as Bridwell and Ramirez

53 minutes ago, nando714 said:

We seem to have a lot of depth 

the question is ...is it good? I guess time will tell

Tropeano and Barria are good. But beyond them, our depth doesn't really exist, so we're already kind of on the ropes here. We need Heaney back, and we'll need those two to pitch well, or Shoe to get back healthy.

56 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

If we go with a six-man rotation all year, I think by the end of the year it will be Richards, Ohtani, Skaggs, Heaney, and two of Shoemaker, Tropeano, Barria. The point being, the best six- man rotation doesn't include Bridwell and Ramirez.

Yeah, I agree with you.  Early on in the season though, I don't mind giving some starts to Bridwell, Ramirez (if healthy), etc.  Spread the innings around, give pitchers ample rest, etc.  Try the best we can to keep our key pitchers (Richards, Ohtani, Heaney, maybe Skaggs?) as healthy as possible, so that we have them at our disposal come the stretch run.

8 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

#Angels prospect Jaime Barria threw just 32 pitches in two innings for AAA Salt Lake last night, but for those speculating, there was a 90-minute rain delay which is more likely to have caused his quick pull than a call-up to Anaheim or injury

That was speculated and resolved in another thread. 

1 minute ago, GrittyVeterans said:

Don't see a need to rush Barria. Let him simmer a little while longer. Bridwell is bad, but I'm not giving up on Ramirez quite yet

I think it really comes down to which pitcher gives you the best chance to win. Eppler's decision to promote Bridwell instead of Tropeano was stupid. Many fans, myself included knew it was a bad choice, but nobody is perfect. Hopefully he's learned from his mistake and slots Tropeano in the rotation.

But if Ramirez does need surgery as I think he likely will, it becomes a choice between Bridwell and Barria for the 6th starter spot.

The team will likely choose Bridwell, because they don't want to start Barria's clock so early at age 21. But that appears to be unavoidable now. Barria will likely be needed at some point this year. Once the calendar turns to May, he needs to be up.

And the simplest reason for that is that Barria is better than Bridwell, and the Angels don't appear to still be in rebuilding mode anymore. They fully intend to compete this year, and look like they're going to be one of the best teams in baseball. 

Barria > Bridwell. 

That's about it.

8 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

I think it really comes down to which pitcher gives you the best chance to win. Eppler's decision to promote Bridwell instead of Tropeano was stupid. Many fans, myself included knew it was a bad choice, but nobody is perfect. Hopefully he's learned from his mistake and slots Tropeano in the rotation.

But if Ramirez does need surgery as I think he likely will, it becomes a choice between Bridwell and Barria for the 6th starter spot.

The team will likely choose Bridwell, because they don't want to start Barria's clock so early at age 21. But that appears to be unavoidable now. Barria will likely be needed at some point this year. Once the calendar turns to May, he needs to be up.

And the simplest reason for that is that Barria is better than Bridwell, and the Angels don't appear to still be in rebuilding mode anymore. They fully intend to compete this year, and look like they're going to be one of the best teams in baseball. 

Barria > Bridwell. 

That's about it.

I don't totally disagree with this at all, but I also don't think it's as simple as which pitcher gives you the best chance to win. I think Barria's development is more important than that. He's the first SP pitching prospect we've had come through the system with reasonably high upside in years and we don't want to blow that. 

I do agree that it's weird Tropeano is not up here instead of Bridwell

38 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

I don't totally disagree with this at all, but I also don't think it's as simple as which pitcher gives you the best chance to win. I think Barria's development is more important than that. He's the first SP pitching prospect we've had come through the system with reasonably high upside in years and we don't want to blow that. 

If you're wanting to compete, it is simple. I am all for allowing prospects to develop. But if Barria keeps shutting down AAA lineups while the major league team has a pitcher struggling to get six outs, there's not a whole lot of developmental profit from keeping Barria in AAA.

Now Canning on the other hand, we can keep down. He can get major leaguers out right now, but the only way I promote him is if it's the difference between playoffs and no playoffs. Canning won't be challenged by minor league hitters, but he can still further refine, plus the Angels should avoid starting his clock until next year. Essentially, Canning could make signing Richards to an extension a luxury and not a necessity, which keeps the salary at a more comfortable level for the Angels.

That's  what future assets can do. But I consider Barria a current asset. I mean sure, keeping him in AAA saves the team an extra few million in the future, but if that comes at the expense of not making the playoffs because Bridwell was starting, then forget it. Bring him up.

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 10:32 AM, Scotty@AW said:

Tropeano and Barria are good. But beyond them, our depth doesn't really exist, so we're already kind of on the ropes here. We need Heaney back, and we'll need those two to pitch well, or Shoe to get back healthy.

It will in another year or two (Canning, etc.).    Shoe needs to consider a permanent switch to the pen.   His splitter could be a late innings asset.

47 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

I don't think Barria stops developing the moment he hits the big leagues. If anything he'll benefit from getting ML coaching. It's one thing to say he won't be developing if he's riding the bench as a 4th outfielder or back up catcher would, but if he's pitching every 5 or 6 days then he's going to continue to grow as a pitcher.

I'm not saying to call him up, but if he's ready then I don't see it as a case where we'd be sacrificing his potential for winning now.

5 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

If you're wanting to compete, it is simple. I am all for allowing prospects to develop. But if Barria keeps shutting down AAA lineups while the major league team has a pitcher struggling to get six outs, there's not a whole lot of developmental profit from keeping Barria in AAA.

Now Canning on the other hand, we can keep down. He can get major leaguers out right now, but the only way I promote him is if it's the difference between playoffs and no playoffs. Canning won't be challenged by minor league hitters, but he can still further refine, plus the Angels should avoid starting his clock until next year. Essentially, Canning could make signing Richards to an extension a luxury and not a necessity, which keeps the salary at a more comfortable level for the Angels.

That's  what future assets can do. But I consider Barria a current asset. I mean sure, keeping him in AAA saves the team an extra few million in the future, but if that comes at the expense of not making the playoffs because Bridwell was starting, then forget it. Bring him up.

Do you really think Canning is a type 1 starter?

4 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Do you really think Canning is a type 1 starter?

When he was drafted, I would've said no, he's a #3 type. But that's back when he was throwing 92/93, with a plus change and an average slider and curve.

Once he got on that strength and conditioning program, as well as further physical maturation and professional coaching, things changed. Now he's sitting 95+ and the slider and curve have turned into plus offerings.

Depending upon his ability to command all of his pitches, yeah I think he's a top of the rotation starter. If he struggles with spitting his pitches, he'll be a reliever. If he's hit or miss, he'll be a mid rotation starter similar to Heaney (not a comp, just production). If he hits his spots, then yeah, front of the rotation stuff.

If it counts for anything, he was pretty good in college at working in and out of the zone at will.