• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Major League Baseball Thread

Chuck

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JD Martinez Vs Justin Upton...

They signed almost identical contracts, I think this one is going to hurt. I was a big proponent of getting JD this off season, now look at the numbers.

JD Martinez: .343/.397/.680, 15 home runs (MLB leading), 41 RBI, 2.3 WAR

Upton: .250/.312/.467, 11 home runs, 34 RBI, 1.2 WAR.

JD is going to mash.

3 hours ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

They signed almost identical contracts, I think this one is going to hurt. I was a big proponent of getting JD this off season, now look at the numbers.

JD is going to mash.

And If he continues to mash he will be opting out after two years having earned 50 million dollars to Upton's 34 million. 

3 hours ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

JD is going to mash.

It's May.

22 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

And If he continues to mash he will be opting out after two years having earned 50 million dollars to Upton's 34 million. 

I think the Red Sox are getting way more bang from their buck here. JD also has a very limited no trade clause which was a very smart FO decision. I believe the last two seasons are mutual so again that’s a very smart FO move. I think that Eppler gave Upton way too much control with his deal. They’re the same age but JD is killing it in comparison.

1AD93D2F-7FF7-4A67-9080-7A5AEF6DFA3A.jpeg

40C63DF1-1409-4317-8258-A0C907F219B4.jpeg

33 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

So you’re not on the hook for the later part of the career and get his best years these opt outs are great for teams and players alike. 

16 minutes ago, OHTANILAND said:

I think the Red Sox are getting way more bang from their buck here. JD also has a very limited no trade clause which was a very smart FO decision. I believe the last two seasons are mutual so again that’s a very smart FO move. I think that Eppler gave Upton way too much control with his deal. They’re the same age but JD is killing it in comparison.

1AD93D2F-7FF7-4A67-9080-7A5AEF6DFA3A.jpeg

40C63DF1-1409-4317-8258-A0C907F219B4.jpeg

Of course you do.   

And no doubt you would have been very happy with the Angels paying 50 mil to a DH for two years because that would have been totally consistent with your posting history..   BTW -- it's hilarious that you have an issue with a guy having a no trade clause but are totally on board with opt out clauses that only serve to benefit the player.

But hey...  at least you're consistent -- Right?

Edited by Inside Pitch

@OHTANILAND  the last two years of the contract become mutual options ONLY if he's put on the 60 day DL, or misses 120 games in the two seasons prior to the final opt out season.  And as far as that limited no trade goes.  He can block three teams.   THREE.

So basically -- the only way the Red Sox benefit is if the guy has some catastrophic injury in which case he wouldn't be opting out anyway. 

24 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

@OHTANILAND  the last two years of the contract become mutual options ONLY if he's put on the 60 day DL, or misses 120 games in the two seasons prior to the final opt out season.  And as far as that limited no trade goes.  He can block three teams.   THREE.

So basically -- the only way the Red Sox benefit is if the guy has some catastrophic injury in which case he wouldn't be opting out anyway. 

It’s a good safeguard. I like it. The Angels have ZERO safeguards in place for Upton’s deal. Upton’s full no trade can block TWENTY-NINE teams. You never really addressed the difference in production but that’s ok.