• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Recommendations for commercially available IPAs

On 3/13/2018 at 5:45 PM, WeatherWonk said:

I will be leaving my home in Mexico in the next couple weeks. That means I will be returning to the Land of Great IPAs, the US of A. I have been working my way through some, slowly but surely, since we bought a house in the US after ten years "abroad".

Anyway, I thought I would leave some recommendations and ask for some, in this thread. I DID do a search back a whole year, using "IPA" in the subject line but, surprisingly, nothing came up.

By "commercially available", I basically mean distributed in bottles or cans. Kegs tend to have a much smaller distribution unless it is a very large craft brewer, indeed. 

Anyway, my tastes tend to be mostly DOWN on the IBU scale and with some citra or mosaic hops. A touch of citrus flavoring also scores points with me AS LONG AS IT ISN'T OVERWHELMING.

I'd have to say my top five favorites (in no particular order) are: Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin, Deschutes Fresh-Squeezed, Fremont Lush IPA, Ballast Point Sculpin, Russian River Pliney the Elder (pushing the hops limit for me). I also really liked a Tangerine IPA from Green Flash, but I havent seen it in a while. I also like the basic Lagunitas IPA.

How about some recommendations, hopheads????

Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA, if you're looking for something more fruity/malty.

Firestone Walker Union Jack, if you're looking for more bitter/citrus.

Then of course there's Stone IPA. 

15 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA, if you're looking for something more fruity/malty.

Firestone Walker Union Jack, if you're looking for more bitter/citrus.

Then of course there's Stone IPA. 

Firestone makes good tasting IPA, but some of their beers are rather low in alcohol content. 

2 hours ago, wopphil said:

Firestone makes good tasting IPA, but some of their beers are rather low in alcohol content. 

I suppose that's an interesting take. Union Jack is 7.5% which is right on the cusp of being a Double IPA.

I think I see what you're saying though. They've kinda expanded their range a bit to include "lighter" styles of beer.

That said, Parabola is 12.7% and it's one of the best stouts ever made. Not to mention the amazing coffee version which is 14%. 

2 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

I suppose that's an interesting take. Union Jack is 7.5% which is right on the cusp of being a Double IPA.

I think I see what you're saying though. They've kinda expanded their range a bit to include "lighter" styles of beer.

That said, Parabola is 12.7% and it's one of the best stouts ever made. Not to mention the amazing coffee version which is 14%. 

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Not sure if I should put this in this thread or the weight loss thread but I was offered this: AB0D1ED6-8794-4F0E-9389-A1BBF11BDD2C.jpegover the weekend but stayed true to my no carbs diet.   I’ll drink it when I go back to Havasu in a few weeks.  

Send it to me you butthole.

3 hours ago, Stradling said:

Not sure if I should put this in this thread or the weight loss thread but I was offered this: AB0D1ED6-8794-4F0E-9389-A1BBF11BDD2C.jpegover the weekend but stayed true to my no carbs diet.   I’ll drink it when I go back to Havasu in a few weeks.  

Damn, you are strict. No beer at all on the diet? I have done great on my diet, but have definitely cheated a fair amount. I have, however, cut my IPA intake from 6 or so per week to about 1 per week.

39 minutes ago, wopphil said:

Damn, you are strict. No beer at all on the diet? I have done great on my diet, but have definitely cheated a fair amount. I have, however, cut my IPA intake from 6 or so per week to about 1 per week.

I had two beers a Sculpin and a Summer Shandy the first weekend of my diet.  Today is day 28 of a 28 day challenge.   I don’t plan on changing much starting tomorrow, but for damn sure I’ll drink that beer when I’m in Havasu next month.