• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Recommendations for commercially available IPAs

I will be leaving my home in Mexico in the next couple weeks. That means I will be returning to the Land of Great IPAs, the US of A. I have been working my way through some, slowly but surely, since we bought a house in the US after ten years "abroad".

Anyway, I thought I would leave some recommendations and ask for some, in this thread. I DID do a search back a whole year, using "IPA" in the subject line but, surprisingly, nothing came up.

By "commercially available", I basically mean distributed in bottles or cans. Kegs tend to have a much smaller distribution unless it is a very large craft brewer, indeed. 

Anyway, my tastes tend to be mostly DOWN on the IBU scale and with some citra or mosaic hops. A touch of citrus flavoring also scores points with me AS LONG AS IT ISN'T OVERWHELMING.

I'd have to say my top five favorites (in no particular order) are: Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin, Deschutes Fresh-Squeezed, Fremont Lush IPA, Ballast Point Sculpin, Russian River Pliney the Elder (pushing the hops limit for me). I also really liked a Tangerine IPA from Green Flash, but I havent seen it in a while. I also like the basic Lagunitas IPA.

How about some recommendations, hopheads????

Pliny is a double IPA - thus the hops (I like it better than standard IPAs).  I buy two cases every time I'm in Santa Rosa, just really good beer. Pliny the Younger is even on another level, man it is just comically delicious.  Also their Bling Pig standard IPA is really good.

Lagunitas is great, very popular around here, fantastic to go up there for lunch. I love me some Sculpin too. 

Bummer you don't move up sooner, the Bay Area brew festival is in a couple weeks and always a good time. https://www.bayareabrewfestival.com/

Folks here know IPA better than myself, but I also like Citra from a place down in Kern County called Kern River Brewing.

Go to any good liquor store and ask. Seriously. You can’t shake a stick without hitting a decent beer now. I’m enjoying the hazy IPAs, though the cost is ridiculous. 

A beer I’m really enjoying is the Mikkellen hazy IPA. unsung has some good ones out as well  

One thing ive found though. Make sure it’s a liquor store that moves beer quickly. Good Hop based beers can become bad beers real quick if not stored cold and if they get old. 30-60 days...90 days max. The fresher the better. Look at the canned and bottled date. I stopped going to the closest to me...more than once didn’t pay attention and realized the beer was well past its prime. 

7 hours ago, red321 said:

Go to any good liquor store and ask. Seriously. You can’t shake a stick without hitting a decent beer now. I’m enjoying the hazy IPAs, though the cost is ridiculous. 

A beer I’m really enjoying is the Mikkellen hazy IPA. unsung has some good ones out as well  

One thing ive found though. Make sure it’s a liquor store that moves beer quickly. Good Hop based beers can become bad beers real quick if not stored cold and if they get old. 30-60 days...90 days max. The fresher the better. Look at the canned and bottled date. I stopped going to the closest to me...more than once didn’t pay attention and realized the beer was well past its prime. 

Hey Red is Hazy a style of IPA?  My buddy brews beer and will be opening up a tap room next year.  He had me try what he called a Hazy IPA which he said was a New England IPA.   I preferred it to any other IPA I’ve had because it tasted like the hops were in the background or something.  He also had an Orange Double IPA which was pretty good.   I’ve never really cared for IPAs, the flavor is just too strong.  

15 minutes ago, SuperTroopers said:

Hey Red is Hazy a style of IPA?  My buddy brews beer and will be opening up a tap room next year.  He had me try what he called a Hazy IPA which he said was a New England IPA.   I preferred it to any other IPA I’ve had because it tasted like the hops were in the background or something.  He also had an Orange Double IPA which was pretty good.   I’ve never really cared for IPAs, the flavor is just too strong.  

yes, it's also called New England style

9 hours ago, red321 said:

Yeah, the microbrew scene has really been good for liquor stores.  It just seems like every liquor store carries it's own different microbrew beer.  But some microbrews don't sell outside their place, so getting a growler there after doing a sampler is a good way to get them.  

1 hour ago, gotbeer said:

Yeah, the microbrew scene has really been good for liquor stores.  It just seems like every liquor store carries it's own different microbrew beer.  But some microbrews don't sell outside their place, so getting a growler there after doing a sampler is a good way to get them.  

I wish California was more like Washington and Oregon where bottle shops/liquor stores could fill growlers. That would be awesome. In Oregon I love going in, sampling a few different breweries and then getting a growler filled.

forget all of these IPAs and their elitist bull. i've got 4 cans of prime pumpkin beer from trader joe's that have your name ALL OVER THEM!! the best part? they're free, just like a quality mattress!! all you have to do is stop by and they're yours!

21 hours ago, red321 said:

I wish California was more like Washington and Oregon where bottle shops/liquor stores could fill growlers. That would be awesome. In Oregon I love going in, sampling a few different breweries and then getting a growler filled.

Up here in Idaho, EVEN THE ALBERTSONS fill growlers. So do the Fred Meyers. I think there are about six breweries in the Boise area alone, and of course they fill. And there are a handful of independent "bars" (I guess "taphouse" is probably a better term) that sell nothing but beer on tap. There is one that is literally a five minute walk from my house that has over 30, at any given time, and he rotates in seasonals. But that is tap beer. Nice to be able to take a good IPA in a bottle or can with you when fishing or ATVing;  something active. 

The style I REALLY need to "research" further is Belgian saison. Lighter, less hoppy, but very complex flavors, at times.

20 hours ago, Tank said:

forget all of these IPAs and their elitist bull. i've got 4 cans of prime pumpkin beer from trader joe's that have your name ALL OVER THEM!! the best part? they're free, just like a quality mattress!! all you have to do is stop by and they're yours!

Nope. It's citrus or tropical overtones only for me, when it comes to fruit essence. Dont like the berry ones, either. Yer still looking for a sucker. :)

On 3/14/2018 at 11:28 PM, red321 said:

This is so important, freshness. You really realize it when you taste a friends homebrew, even compared to a fresh, highend IPA in a bottle or can. There is a certain freshness and cleanliness that is evident. I have a friend who is an architect and has designed a few breweries in Kern County (Lengthwise I and II) and is building another west of Bakersfield. He brews his own, with secrets he has learned from the master brewers at several breweries. THOSE are the best beers I have had, partly because of the freshness of a 3-4 week old beer. Plus, he is using exotic liquid yeasts, exotic hops, exotic malts. 

53 minutes ago, WeatherWonk said:

Up here in Idaho, EVEN THE ALBERTSONS fill growlers. So do the Fred Meyers. I think there are about six breweries in the Boise area alone, and of course they fill. And there are a handful of independent "bars" (I guess "taphouse" is probably a better term) that sell nothing but beer on tap. There is one that is literally a five minute walk from my house that has over 30, at any given time, and he rotates in seasonals. But that is tap beer. Nice to be able to take a good IPA in a bottle or can with you when fishing or ATVing;  something active. 

The style I REALLY need to "research" further is Belgian saison. Lighter, less hoppy, but very complex flavors, at times.

That's what hydroflasks are for...on the way to fishing or ATVing swing by with a 24oz hydroflask and have them fill it up. Will keep fresh and cold for 20 some odd hours and if you put it in fridge or cooler you can open it 5-6 days later and it's still like its freshly poured.

1 hour ago, red321 said:

That's what hydroflasks are for...on the way to fishing or ATVing swing by with a 24oz hydroflask and have them fill it up. Will keep fresh and cold for 20 some odd hours and if you put it in fridge or cooler you can open it 5-6 days later and it's still like its freshly poured.

But what about the agitation factor? At least with bottles and cans, you minimize the air that carbonation can re-enter. Just drink it down, after opening. A 24oz chug is not in my repertoire. 

I am down with growlers for at home use or transporting to friend's houses on paved roads.

heck, what the hell is a hydroflask?

9 hours ago, WeatherWonk said:

We recently bought a house in Eagle and will be moving up there in a few weeks, after we sell our house here. I can use some advice on finding the best beer joints.

On 3/13/2018 at 11:28 PM, red321 said:

hmm, the ipa was developed so hoppy to better survive the long boat trip to india?  though i'd imagine the original ipa's tasted nothing like a sculpin' or stone.

11 hours ago, WeatherWonk said:

But what about the agitation factor? At least with bottles and cans, you minimize the air that carbonation can re-enter. Just drink it down, after opening. A 24oz chug is not in my repertoire. 

I am down with growlers for at home use or transporting to friend's houses on paved roads.

heck, what the hell is a hydroflask?

Once you break the seal you have about 24 hours. Hydro flask is insulated container. Keeps drinks cold 12-16 hours. Drinks hot for 8 hours. 

Think of it as thermos on steroids. 

You don’t have to chug the beer. If anything it gives you more time to drink 24 ounces than two bottles or cans. 

3 hours ago, well_red said:

hmm, the ipa was developed so hoppy to better survive the long boat trip to india?  though i'd imagine the original ipa's tasted nothing like a sculpin' or stone.

Yeah...ain’t  that the shit. 

Hops lose the fresh citrus/piney scent/taste over time. 

Those english ipas are nothing like today.