• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday: 2/26 Angels @ Padres - Ohtani makes hitting debut

bloodbrother

5 minutes ago, bloodbrother said:

Very high K rates though(25-27%), in a much lesser league. I envision the hitting aspect of his game will go by the wayside within the first few seasons here and he'll focus on solely being a pitcher. Maybe he can pinch hit here or there, but I think he loses regular DH AB's.

He'll be getting more DH at-bats by default if Albert's production falls off a cliff.

I'm intrigued to watch him hit, I'm also glad I'm off work today so I can watch the game. I feel like the expectations for him are insane. Bill Plaschke was already calling him a flop after 1 inning, and I feel like people kept forgetting that its spring training, and he is adjusting to a new league. I temper my expectations for him until he gets his bearings. Lets not forget Mike Trout batted .220 in his first 123 at-bats (even though he was only 19, and Ohtani is 23).

2 hours ago, bloodbrother said:

For me, it's him pitching, because I see that being his ultimate role with the team and the role that provides the most upside/potential for him. I like the power in his bat, but I don't think he'll bring good BA/OBP to go with it.

He had both high BA and OBP in Japan, but against lesser pitching than he is bound to see here.

32 minutes ago, John Taylor said:

Bill Plaschke was already calling him a flop after 1 inning, and I feel like people kept forgetting that its spring training, and he is adjusting to a new league.

I was reading the message boards of teams before and after Ohtani decided to play in Anaheim. Most were excited to sign him, the Yankees were so sure they would get him. Once they were eliminated, they were saying well I'm glad we didn't get him. On the Mariner's board a few posters were saying things like Japanese players never live up to the hype. Before they pitch over here they're expecting a perennial Cy Young candidate, but never do. And once the stem injection story broke they all acted like they dodged a bullet. Just sour grapes, if we can't have him then he won't be good anyway. LOL

3 hours ago, bloodbrother said:

Very high K rates though(25-27%), in a much lesser league. I envision the hitting aspect of his game will go by the wayside within the first few seasons here and he'll focus on solely being a pitcher. Maybe he can pinch hit here or there, but I think he loses regular DH AB's.

Seriously. Combine this with the fact that nobody does both. Nobody.

I mean I'm hoping I'm wrong...

2 hours ago, John Taylor said:

I'm intrigued to watch him hit, I'm also glad I'm off work today so I can watch the game. I feel like the expectations for him are insane. Bill Plaschke was already calling him a flop after 1 inning, and I feel like people kept forgetting that its spring training, and he is adjusting to a new league. I temper my expectations for him until he gets his bearings. Lets not forget Mike Trout batted .220 in his first 123 at-bats (even though he was only 19, and Ohtani is 23).

Plaschke just likes to hear himself talk.