• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2018 NFL Draft

NJHalo

Time to start on next season. The last time my Giants drafted this high (#2) they got a grnerational superstar in Lawrence Taylor. A lot of pressure not to fuck this up. They need to get a QB to replace 37 year old Eli, and there are a lot of options this year. I know people are very opinionated about the big two (Darnold and Rosen), but I like Darnold. 

If you draft a QB top 10 in the NFL you better be convinced that it's a franchise QB.  QB is the most important position on the field and also the most overvalued in the draft.  In 4 of the 5 previous drafts Luck, Griffin, Tannehill, Bortles, Winston, Mariota, Goff and Wentz were all drafted top 10.  Out of them who would you say is a franchise QB? 

Luck - yes but didn't play all of last year and there are concerns about how he'll recover from his shoulder injury as he still doesn't appear to be healed

Griffin - Injury derailed his career but even if he isn't in that playoff game no way to say how he would have done long term.  Mobile QB's don't have a strong track record.

Tannehill/Bortles - Tannehill was injured last year in a season people felt would be a make or break season and Bortles was very efficient the last part of the season but still not someone you'd say is a franchise QB right now.

Winston/Mariota - Tampa was a major letdown in part due to Winston while Mariota also didn't live up to what some thought he would do in his third season but some of that could be injury related.  TBD but didn't look it last year.

Goff/Wentz - looked the part but let's see how they do in season 3 as teams adjust.  Also Wentz is coming back from a major injury.

I don't follow the top QB's in college enough to say I think any of those guys are or aren't franchise QB's.  Odds are at least one of them will end up under center for some team or teams for at least a decade.  That said there's no consensus on who that guy is and the only reason right now one of them would go 1 or 2 is because there's always a QB needy team that will make that move.  As a Denver fan right now I hope they go another direction (sign someone not Cousins) at 5 and look at a QB early in rd 2 or later as one should fall and they can hopefully find value later.  Obviously a lot can change between now and the draft as guys move up and down draft boards but right now there's no guy that even a lot of the talking heads can agree is that franchise QB. 

18 hours ago, mtangelsfan said:

One thing is a sure lock?  With 5 picks in the first two rounds the Browns are a stone cold lock to have the worst draft once again.

You would think with all those top picks, so many years in a row now, the talent has to start showing up in terms of wins and losses.

Who's the GM now?  John Dorsey?  If it was me, I'd be talking up players that other early first rounders like just to scare them into trading up, sliding all over the place with those 2 top-4 picks and accumulating more draft capitol and taking advantage of blue-chippers falling.  They have #1, 4, 33, 39 and 64 in the first two rounds currently.  If they know the Gmen like Josh Rosen, start leaking that you're taking him or speaking with other teams about moving up for him.  Squeeze them for a pick to move up one spot.  Do the same with Denver and Josh Allen.  They could slide back two times and end up at #5 and draft Sam Darnold, or Rosen or Allen if they choose with the #4 or #5, but come out with probably another 2nd and/or 3rd rounders.  With the #5 now, rinse and repeat with teams interested in certain players.  Then, as the first round unfurls you can then move up and snag someone with the extra 2nd/3rd's.  Conceivably, they could draft at #5 and #8 and come away with Darnold and Saq Barkley, and then slide into the late first for someone they love (OL help with Billy Price?) while giving up the #33 and a 3rd rounder and come away with a ton of value and difference makers.

Jacksonville is apparently stuck with Blake Bortles, at least for the near term. Projection is for them to take a quarterback in the first two rounds to compete with Bortles in camp. Louisville's Lamar Jackson has been mentioned as a possibility. Not sure that I see him as having an NFL skill set.

• 2 weeks later...

Rumor has Buffalo trying to get the Giants first round pick (#2 overall). Offering up their two first round picks (#20, #21), their second round pick, their first round pick next year, and LT Cordy Glenn. That’s quite a haul, and hard to pass up if true

• 2 weeks later...

The Browns have been active.  Wow!  Now, they have Taylor at QB, could have Saquon Barkley and Duke Johnson at RB, have Jarvis Landry, Coleman and Josh Gordon at WR, and recently drafted David Njoku at TE.  They could add a QB through the draft to sit behind Taylor for 1-2 years.  That is a team that could surprise.

• 1 month later...

No idea what the Broncos will do at 5 but that's largely due to the fact that no one knows who is going in picks 1-4.  I've seen mocks with them taking a QB, Chubb if he falls and the QB's are off the board, Barkley once they cut Anderson, Nelson the G from ND and even one that had them grabbing the top DB.  I fully expect the Keenum Denver gets to be closer to the 2016 version and not the guy we saw last year and part of that will be because of the pieces around him but also because that's more of who he is.  That said I don't want to see them grab a QB at 5 when they have so many other needs and if you take a QB that high you better be damn sure that's your guy.  Adding Nelson would further beef up the line and the teams that dominate the line can get by much better with average QB's.  If they have an opportunity to trade back with a team like Buffalo I'd be fine with them picking up extra picks and still getting a quality player at 12.  I've even seen mocks with them trading with Arizona who moves up to 5.  Either way all the speculation ends later today.

so the guy liked to act black when he was a kid. that shit has always been common....granted not wise to do it in a public setting. but kids are dumb and don't realize the dumb shit they put up can follow them around forever...actually, back then i don't think anyone thought about people screen capturing things or taking the time to dig through years of posts.