• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

BP isnt buying into us AT ALL

floplag

24 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

Lol I don’t bother with projections. Some of us have the ability to predict wins/losses on our own. 

your 'jump to conclusions matt' isn't as accurate as you think.   

Troll Daddy win prediction formula:

look at team prior to spring

state that they are pretty good

watch games

see that they won x at seasons end.

state that's about what I thought.  

2 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

your 'jump to conclusions matt' isn't as accurate as you think.   

Troll Daddy win prediction formula:

look at team prior to spring

state that they are pretty good

watch games

see that they won x at seasons end.

state that's about what I thought.  

Lol

I guess I could put in countless hours looking at analytics ... only to find out Troll Daddy’s prediction was closer to being correct. 

1 hour ago, Troll Daddy said:

I believe a six man rotation rotation is something the Angels are forced into trying. A necessary evil in my eyes but very interested to see how it plays out. 

Imo you have a better chance of winning  with a traditional 5 man rotation. 

Im curious why? 
Aside from the fact that if you have a guy thats clearly better than the rest, which we dont at least not yet, why would it matter?
Evenm if you did have a true ace im sure they would manipulate the process to get him a couple extras so...
Why does it matter really?

46 minutes ago, floplag said:

Im curious why? 
Aside from the fact that if you have a guy thats clearly better than the rest, which we dont at least not yet, why would it matter?
Evenm if you did have a true ace im sure they would manipulate the process to get him a couple extras so...
Why does it matter really?

That’s TD being TD.  What I’ve read here on Angels Win, and what makes sense to me, is that it will be more like a 5.5 man rotation.  Don’t skip any turns for off-days and when they get strings of days without off-days bring in the #6 to allow the primary five more rest.  Maybe they’ll go with a true six man rotation and not skip any starts this year, but I think this year will be in between and if it goes ok then 2019 will be a true six man rotation.

2 hours ago, Revad said:

That’s TD being TD.  What I’ve read here on Angels Win, and what makes sense to me, is that it will be more like a 5.5 man rotation.  Don’t skip any turns for off-days and when they get strings of days without off-days bring in the #6 to allow the primary five more rest.  Maybe they’ll go with a true six man rotation and not skip any starts this year, but I think this year will be in between and if it goes ok then 2019 will be a true six man rotation.

I have a valid point worth bringing up. I highly doubt that Houston or any team in our division is going to a 6 man rotation. Sadly you’re right about not having a dominate pitcher who can pitch every 5th day. 

Like i said ... a 5.5/6 man rotation is necessary for the Angels. I’m very curious to see how it plays out ... much like all of you. 

1 hour ago, Troll Daddy said:

I have a valid point worth bringing up. I highly doubt that Houston or any team in our division is going to a 6 man rotation. Sadly you’re right about not having a dominate pitcher who can pitch every 5th day. 

Like i said ... a 5.5/6 man rotation is necessary for the Angels. I’m very curious to see how it plays out ... much like all of you. 

Its not necessary, it just makes sense. big difference.  WE have a huge amount of SP depth, most cant say that.

1 hour ago, floplag said:

Its not necessary, it just makes sense. big difference.  WE have a huge amount of SP depth, most cant say that.

Actually it is necessary to start the season imo. Things may change as the season progresses. I would love to see Richards and Ohtani pitch every fifth start. 

If your not pitching your best every 5th start you’re like costing the team wins imo. 

18 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

Actually it is necessary to start the season imo. Things may change as the season progresses. I would love to see Richards and Ohtani pitch every fifth start. 

If your not pitching your best every 5th start you’re like costing the team wins imo. 

Neither of those things necessitate a 6 man though, what does is us having 6-8 actual starters.   i suspect things will work themselves out but were not considering it for shits and giggles were doing it as we have the personal to do it. .

8 hours ago, Troll Daddy said:

I believe a six man rotation rotation is something the Angels are forced into trying. A necessary evil in my eyes but very interested to see how it plays out. 

Imo you have a better chance of winning  with a traditional 5 man rotation. 

you have your best chance of winning when you optimize the situation for your players to succeed based on their strengths and weaknesses.  

A willingness to be aware of and understand convention and tradition yet throw it aside and think outside the box when you don't want to shove a square peg into a round hole.  

That said, my biggest concern with pitchers going every 6th day instead of every 5th is the temptation to leave them out there a few batters longer than they normally would.  

Unless......they do it how I hope they would and work backwards.  Ie - they've mapped out the max expected innings and will stick with keeping exposure to lineups third/fourth time through to a minimum with the goal being that everyone will be fairly fresh through the end of the year.   

Whatever it takes so that Richards and Ohtani are making their scheduled starts through the end of the year health permitting.  

The interesting part will be when we don't need that 6th starter due to off days.  Will they skip those guys and let them pitch out of the pen here and there?  To me, that would be ideal.  The core 5 guys pitch every 6th day.  When you need a 6th starter, you shuttle one of Ramirez, Bridwell or Trop into the rotation.  

I would rather the Angels be underdogs. During the Trout years, the last 3 years (2012, 2013, and 2015) that a lot of people expected the Angels to contend for the World Series, the team has missed the postseason every season. During that span, the years when the Angels weren't expected to win by many people, they've overachieved for the most part, 2014 and 2017. And they at least made the postseason in 2014. Teams that embraced the "underdog" play way more loose as a team while a lot of the teams that are built for high expectations and are expected to contend for the World Series by their fans, don't do so well.

But the Angels should still have a great shot at making the postseason this year IF their pitching lives up to their potential. Ohtani and Richards both pitching well this year would give them a very good or even great 1-2 punch. Still going to need someone like Shoemaker to step up like he did in 2014.

9 hours ago, Troll Daddy said:

Inbox: Will Mariners consider 6-man rotation?

https://www.mlb.com/mariners/news/mariners-considering-periodic-6-man-rotation/c-264730844

https://www.lookoutlanding.com/2017/3/30/15118742/mariners-starting-rotation-six-man-four-man

They are considering the same 5.5/6 man rotation much like we are considering.

Wouldn't surprise me if by time next CBA rolls around, almost everyone is toying with 6-man rotations and enough crazy roster manipulation (rotating more players than ever through AAA based on 6-man needs, controlling service time) that they look at something like a 27-Man Roster. Could help provide more opportunity for vets to get jobs as they age. 

Make it a 27 man roster, but only a 24 man active roster, so the last three starters aren’t active that game.  So each game the manager sets an active roster.  Make three of those spots major league veteran exception spots paying them $4 million (something along those lines) they are mandatory to have on the roster but only count against the tax if you are a team that receives money from the competitive balance tax.  So if you are paying into that tax to help the small revenue tax they are free of the tax if you go over the threshold. 

29 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Make it a 27 man roster, but only a 24 man active roster, so the last three starters aren’t active that game.  So each game the manager sets an active roster.  Make three of those spots major league veteran exception spots paying them $4 million (something along those lines) they are mandatory to have on the roster but only count against the tax if you are a team that receives money from the competitive balance tax.  So if you are paying into that tax to help the small revenue tax they are free of the tax if you go over the threshold. 

:rolleyes: I used to like the simplicity of baseball before everyone wanted lawyers to define the game. 

9 hours ago, Dochalo said:

you have your best chance of winning when you optimize the situation for your players to succeed based on their strengths and weaknesses.  

A willingness to be aware of and understand convention and tradition yet throw it aside and think outside the box when you don't want to shove a square peg into a round hole.  

That said, my biggest concern with pitchers going every 6th day instead of every 5th is the temptation to leave them out there a few batters longer than they normally would.  

Unless......they do it how I hope they would and work backwards.  Ie - they've mapped out the max expected innings and will stick with keeping exposure to lineups third/fourth time through to a minimum with the goal being that everyone will be fairly fresh through the end of the year.   

Whatever it takes so that Richards and Ohtani are making their scheduled starts through the end of the year health permitting.  

The interesting part will be when we don't need that 6th starter due to off days.  Will they skip those guys and let them pitch out of the pen here and there?  To me, that would be ideal.  The core 5 guys pitch every 6th day.  When you need a 6th starter, you shuttle one of Ramirez, Bridwell or Trop into the rotation.  

Let’s not forget matchups ... ideally you want your best pitchers to face the opposing teams best pitchers if possible. 

10 minutes ago, Blarg said:

:rolleyes: I used to like the simplicity of baseball before everyone wanted lawyers to define the game. 

Yea, I liked it too, then some teams needed help from other teams.  Then when those teams, while still getting financial help, stopped trying to win and weren't adding payroll, yea, that is a problem.  MLB is the only league that has a pretty strict 25 man roster.  The NBA, NHL and NFL all have active rosters, why not MLB?

13 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

Let’s not forget matchups ... ideally you want your best pitchers to face the opposing teams best pitchers if possible. 

Absolutely but after the first week or two that doesn't really happen because of days off except in the playoffs.  Granted it does happen, but most of that is by chance.  Occasionally you will see a team bring a guy back on normal rest because of an off day and skip the 5th starter to have their ace go against another teams ace. 

If you truly want this to happen then MLB would have to adopt the Japanese schedule (which I think is a good idea) and take every Monday off.  Then play the next six days, and have six starters.  That way you can set it up where your best pitchers pitch the same day.  For example Ohtani pitched every Sunday in Japan.  Then again here it might be totally different.  A team could say they don't want to pitch their ace on Sundays, but would rather pitch them on Tuesday, to increase attendance or whatever reason they come up with.