• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Non-roster Invites

John Smith

20 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Great! They re-signed Campos - who a few of us were pretty high on - and Ian Krol, one of the lefties that had been on my radar for a minor-league signing.

Agreed.  Krol was a nice pick-up.  But will Campos ever be healthy?

This group is interesting. Most of the time, with players like this, the biggest question is, "Are they good enough to make it?"

But we don't have that question with Vicente Campos. He's more than good enough. His is simply a question of health.  I mean the quality of pitchers makes him Garrett Richards lite. But can his arm remain attached even in a relief role? 

With Fernandez really don't need to wonder if he's good enough either. He is good enough, especially with the bat. Will he get an opportunity is the real question.

I'd love to see Krol or Lamb unseat Alvarez.

On 2/6/2018 at 5:15 PM, Chuckster70 said:

Looking forward to seeing Jose Fernandez in camp. We may have scored here, having our 2019 2B if he has a good 2018. 

Hell, he may even make the team as a utility guy if he can play a few other positions. 

1B, 2B and 3B in the minors....even 1 game in LF...

Let him make it as our back up IF and cut lose LVB.

On 2/6/2018 at 7:40 PM, Scotty@AW said:

But we don't have that question with Vicente Campos. He's more than good enough. His is simply a question of health.  I mean the quality of pitchers makes him Garrett Richards lite. But can his arm remain attached even in a relief role?

Campos was an unmitigated disaster last year. As a 24 year old, in AAA. Color me skeptical that he will ever again break a major league roster, let alone contribute.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=Brad+Ziegler+stats

Valbuena has some surplus value- but not much, pretty sure he stays.  Still, I think Miami will deal Bour, can’t see why they wouldn’t, then maybe Valbuena to Miami plus maybe a prospect for Ziegler and cash.  Ziegler is a FA after 2018.  Frees up Fernandez’ path, which does seem like a solid move.  Ziegler had a poor 1st half and a very good 2nd half last year but would be a good bet to set up or do high leverage spots.  If the Angels don’t add a starter then please add one veteran bullpen hotshot.  I’m anxious about the pitching.  Duh.

1 hour ago, wopphil said:

Campos was an unmitigated disaster last year. As a 24 year old, in AAA. Color me skeptical that he will ever again break a major league roster, let alone contribute.

Campos was pitching injured after the third game of Spring Training, when his fastball dropped from 97 down to 93. He came back after rehab to AAA and couldn't top 91. 

When Vicente is healthy, his fastball sits 95-96. 

4 hours ago, Dochalo said:

If Fernandez makes Valbuena expendable, then you'd have to find someone to take on LVB's salary to make a switch worth while.  Don't see that happening.  

He might give Cowart a run for the last roster spot though.  

I don't think Fernandez will be given a single thing here other than a roster spot with our AAA team. 

It was a smart move on his part, choosing a team with a lack of depth at 1B, 2B and 3B, the positions he is capable of playing. It also doesn't hurt that we are a contender and have generated a ton of buzz recently.

But anything Fernandez gets here will be earned. They won't trade Valbuena away just so this unknown entity can replace him. The same with Kinsler, and even Cowart.

I think no matter what Fernandez does in Spring, he's headed for AAA, and even if he's hitting .350 with power there, they still won't promote him to replace Cron or Valbuena unless either of those guys gets hurt, or it's July and they still haven't found any sort of rhythm at the plate. Same with Kinsler.

My guess is Fernandez tears it up in AAA and is promoted around July to provide infield depth. He'll end up playing sparingly but hitting his way into more playing time around September and position himself to complete with Thaiss for the 1B roster spot in 2019. 

8 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

I think no matter what Fernandez does in Spring, he's headed for AAA, and even if he's hitting .350 with power there, they still won't promote him to replace Cron or Valbuena unless either of those guys gets hurt, or it's July and they still haven't found any sort of rhythm at the plate. Same with Kinsler.

My guess is Fernandez tears it up in AAA and is promoted around July to provide infield depth. He'll end up playing sparingly but hitting his way into more playing time around September and position himself to complete with Thaiss for the 1B roster spot in 2019. 

That sounds like the last Jose Fernandez to play for the Angels AAA team. The one that slashed .338/.421/.624/1.045 with 37 doubles and 30 HR in 120 games as a 26 year old back in '01.

30 minutes ago, HaloNArizona said:

Almost as bad as the disdain for AP

For me...I dont get the love for LVB...I know WAR....WAR...WAR...

He doesnt pass the basics for me...a career .228/.315 player who gets way too may AB's.

Conveniently left off slugging eh? He was third in the team behind Trout and Cron.

At his peak, he's always been a low BA, decent OBP (and actually quite good in relation to his BA) and high SLG versatile lefty bench bat. He is not a problem. 

He's arguably still the third most powerful bat on the team, and only Trout posted a higher BB%. 

BAbip wasn't his friend last year, it could just as easily swing the other direction and result in a .250/.350/.450/.800 year or normalize at a .230/.330/.430/.760 year.

22 hours ago, totdprods said:

Conveniently left off slugging eh? He was third in the team behind Trout and Cron.

At his peak, he's always been a low BA, decent OBP (and actually quite good in relation to his BA) and high SLG versatile lefty bench bat. He is not a problem. 

He's arguably still the third most powerful bat on the team, and only Trout posted a higher BB%. 

BAbip wasn't his friend last year, it could just as easily swing the other direction and result in a .250/.350/.450/.800 year or normalize at a .230/.330/.430/.760 year.

Great he can hit HR's and doubles...I dont put a lot of faith in a guy who gets on base less than 30% of the time.  

I will admit, I am not an advanced metrics guy...if he could post this slash line 250/.350/.450/.800, I'd be very happy.  I just dont see it.  I am not enamored with him playing a chunk of time at 1B.