• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What do you want to read about in spring training?

Here's one to take your mind off the hugely important issues like netting and plaques....

I have to write a story every day in spring training, all while there are no games that matter. So, you guys give me some suggestions on things that you'd be interested in learning more about. (I think I posted a similar thread before, and people took it to mean "what do you want to happen?" I don't control what happens.)

Be creative. Don't just say the obvious like "tell me what the new guys are like." Obviously, stories on all the new guys are standard. And there will also be plenty on Ohtani and the whole two-way thing.

Also, if you have any memory of stories you read and enjoyed during past spring trainings, even if (gasp) I didn't write them, feel free to mention those.

Ok, how about where you go on a day off from baseball? In Arizona, particularly the Phoenix/Scottsdale area, there are so many pubs, restaurants, golf and places to shop in that expanse, what are the hotspots? 

For those wanting to do more than snore on the lounger at the hotel pool while working on the first sunburn of the season maybe a travel guide or even a stadium guide.

You've been to all the parks, which are the best fan experience, best value, best ballpark food, best seating? It may persuade a few readers to make the trip if not this season, next. 

A fan focus article covering where fans are coming from and what they do when they aren't at the game. What fanfests are going on and which are the biggest/craziest group? 

Who stood out on a daily basis at practice, bullpens and games to you and who stood out behind the scenes to the coaching staff.

This could be both for the minor league guys and big league dudes. 

I always like to hear who is impressing everyone in camp, but not just in games that we can see or hear about when following the game, but on the practice fields, hitting cage, bullpens, velo reports, etc.

you should play off the biggest spring cliche BSOL.  Do a series OR as single article of those who claim to be vs. those who don't  

anything that gives us insight as to why a player thinks they're gonna be better than they were last year.  In particular, Kinsler, Pujols, Cron.

9 gold gloves?  It could happen. 

For me personally, I love to hear buzz about prospects.  Who's impressing on the back fields.  Who's turning the heads of the FO and coaching staff.  Like a daily 'prospect profile' or something.  

7 hours ago, Blarg said:

Ok, how about where you go on a day off from baseball? In Arizona, particularly the Phoenix/Scottsdale area, there are so many pubs, restaurants, golf and places to shop in that expanse, what are the hotspots? 

For those wanting to do more than snore on the lounger at the hotel pool while working on the first sunburn of the season maybe a travel guide or even a stadium guide.

You've been to all the parks, which are the best fan experience, best value, best ballpark food, best seating? It may persuade a few readers to make the trip if not this season, next. 

A fan focus article covering where fans are coming from and what they do when they aren't at the game. What fanfests are going on and which are the biggest/craziest group? 

This is great.  

I enjoyed reading about the humorous side of building the clubhouse. I know Scioscia would make the rookies find out where every In N Out was, or the “Giant Chicken” story, with I think it was Ramon Ortiz and an Ostrich. Whatever those types of stories that mind come up.  

I’d like to know what the players do when they leave for the day (after the 5th inning). 

Edited by Stradling

44 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I enjoyed reading about the humorous side of building the clubhouse. I know Scioscia would make the rookies find out where every In N Out was, or the “Giant Chicken” story, with I think it was Ramon Ortiz and an Ostrich. Whatever those types of stories that mind come up.  

I’d like to know what the players do when they leave for the day (after the 5th inning). 

They go golfing.

- The journey back for most of the pitchers coming back from injuries. I know Heaney had his journey posted to instagram and I thought that was pretty cool. Pictures of him doing random things or rehab with baseballs with numbers on them for each day of his recovery.

- Overall feel of the clubhouse. Lots of new faces and expectations this year.

- Thoughts from Scioscia on how he feels and what he expects from the final year of his contract.

- Standouts on players who physically look different. (good or bad)

I would love to hear more about the coaches and their roles in spring training, especially the minor league coaches that are there and the roving instructors.

I also definitely want to hear about how all the players are in the best shape of their lives...

I find personal stories about players make me feel more connected and engaged.  Stories about their journey - their background, their hobbies, their passions, etc.  Anything that's not about their statistics... stuff that makes them more real and personal.

I also find that some of the people who work at Spring Training are very interesting. Many of them are snow birds and their own individual stories are cool. Many of them have a million stories. 

i'm a golfer and i always find it interesting about what equipment the pros are using. i don't know how well that would translate to baseball, but i'm interested in something like how a player chooses his bats, their size, color, etc.

i'm also curious to hear what pitches pitchers are working on, how they strengthen their arms, their warm up procedures, etc.

does sosh plan to try anything new this year that he can talk about publicly? does he rely on the same strategies he's used in the past? how does he use stats in sizing up an opponent?

what do pitchers and catchers talk about in their pregame planning sessions?

how do hitters prepare to face certain pitchers?

I'm probably a bit of an outlier here, but I love deep dives into what makes a player good. What exactly is it about Trout's swing that makes him the best? What is it about Richard's delivery that makes the ball do that? What do these players work on to improve their mechanics, and what do they see as the best and worst parts of their "game" (what kind of defensive plays frustrate Simmons and make him learn how to do new things? Does he think through which plays are hard for him, and how to change his approach in that kind of situation? If so, how specifically? How, specifically, did Blake Parker go from 0 to hero? Did he change his mechanics, or was it as simple as pitch selection, or what? If he changed his mechanics, what changed? Was it his arm slot? How he held the ball before throwing? If it was a pitch selection change, what was behind the change in philosophy, and how does he think through his next pitch?)?

To me, that kind of stuff helps really appreciate how talented these people are, and kinda gives you things to look for with each player as you watch them play their game. Though, again, I'm kinda a nerd, so I may be in the minority here.

I very much enjoy stories about the Minor Leaguers, what skills they are working on, their background, etc. Also, I think it would be interesting to read some stories about how the players, coaches, managers, and even reporters prepare for the grind that is the baseball season. Any interesting offseason stories about what players did would also be appealing.

The prospects on the back fields. Not just the top 4-5 guys..obviously they will be kicking ass, but the other 20-25 prospects. Who's hitting the ball out of the park, who put on 10lbs of muscle this winter, who did they send to the OF,  and who did they turn into a pitcher. This is the stuff that is hard to find any info on.

2 hours ago, krAbs said:

I'm probably a bit of an outlier here, but I love deep dives into what makes a player good. What exactly is it about Trout's swing that makes him the best? What is it about Richard's delivery that makes the ball do that? What do these players work on to improve their mechanics, and what do they see as the best and worst parts of their "game" (what kind of defensive plays frustrate Simmons and make him learn how to do new things? Does he think through which plays are hard for him, and how to change his approach in that kind of situation? If so, how specifically? How, specifically, did Blake Parker go from 0 to hero? Did he change his mechanics, or was it as simple as pitch selection, or what? If he changed his mechanics, what changed? Was it his arm slot? How he held the ball before throwing? If it was a pitch selection change, what was behind the change in philosophy, and how does he think through his next pitch?)?

To me, that kind of stuff helps really appreciate how talented these people are, and kinda gives you things to look for with each player as you watch them play their game. Though, again, I'm kinda a nerd, so I may be in the minority here.

I like this