• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels in agreement with infielder Jose Miguel Fernandez

John Smith

1 minute ago, jsnpritchett said:

I find the whole situation surrounding him very strange.  There must be something going on that would have caused the Dodgers to release him.  They had virtually no money invested in him, and he had a good year.  What's the secret?

It will eventually come out.

Maybe he porked Dave Roberts wife? 

Solid, low risk move.  I’m guessing he was let go due to a behavior-related issue, but that’s just speculation on my part.  Dodgers had no incentive to release him otherwise.

That said, considering we lacked middle IF depth, this is a great move for us.  He could certainly fill in at 2B if Kinsler gets hurt.  

I'm getting a vibe that he has more of a future as a 1B/3B/LF/2B type based on his glovework and age. Still, that fills a need in at least a AAA sense.

I really like the Walsh, Liriano, and Casali signings too. May have a decent AAA team with some of our homegrown prospects finally starting to arrive.

12 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Where would he slot into the Angelswin Top 30?

He’s 29.  I don’t think AW should be tracking him as a prospect.  This guy is organizational depth. 

Sounds like he might impact the major league club tho.  Which is a good thing.

Edited by UndertheHalo

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

I'm getting a vibe that he has more of a future as a 1B/3B/LF/2B type based on his glovework and age. Still, that fills a need in at least a AAA sense.

I really like the Walsh, Liriano, and Casali signings too. May have a decent AAA team with some of our homegrown prospects finally starting to arrive.

I wouldn't discount Walsh being the super util guy on the big club.  

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

I think he's major league ready with the bat. Let's get him,some ST at bats at 1B, 2B, 3B and LF.

JMF is very heavy footed. He's athletic but t noticeably moves around in a much more labored manner than he did 2-3 years ago, which is strange because he hasn't been playing much baseball.

Perhaps he was injured while fleeing?

The way I'm looking at this, he'll likely be a utility player in AAA in an attempt to break in with the big league team. I can see him playing 1B, 2B, 3B and LF.

Offensively, he has a ton of pull power, great bat control, great understanding of the strike zone and great instinct for the game.

As I understand, there were rumblings that JMF was unhappy with being placed in AA and being kept there as long as he was. He also wasn't "coachable".

My guess is he got into it with the coaches or minor league coordinators who told them they wouldn't play him the rest of the year and would release him in the offseason.

As far as his status as a prospect, he'll certainly contribute to the major league team at some pint. He's too good of a hitter not to. But without a defensive home, he's basically Grant Green with more plate discipline and less power.