• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels in agreement with infielder Jose Miguel Fernandez

John Smith

12 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

Typically, it isn't the specific GM's that get involved with minor league guys as much as it would be someone like Mike LaCassa.  Ultimately the GM signs off on it, but they have other things they are focusing on usually.

The Angels likely were honest with him just as they were with Ohtani.  This is our depth chart, and here's where you'd fit in.  You'll start at AAA, and if you perform well there, we'll make a spot for you.  Good hitters becoming major leaguers and you're a very good hitter. 

I can easily see Fernandez being the first guy promoted from AAA if there's an injury on the infield.  Heck, if he comes in an tears it up during ST, he might get Cron or Valbuena's roster spot.  Unlikely, but it could happen. 

I am not sure that Fernandez would need to "tear it up" in spring training to take Cron's or Valbuena's roster spot.  Being a decent defender and a consistent hitter should be enough.  The replacement threshold is pretty low for Cron and Valbuena.

https://motorcitybengals.com/2017/11/27/detroit-tigers-jose-miguel-fernandez/

A somewhat ironic article on how the Tigers should add JMF if Kinsler is traded.  Well Kinsler was and JMF ended up on the team Kinsler was traded to.  Jose likely is Kinsler's replacement next year, saving money for the outstanding 2018-19 FA class.

10 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Fernandez probably is the best hitter among all the players slotted for AAA to open the season. (I believe Cowart and Perez are on the Angels to start).

He slots in slightly ahead of Houchins, Hermosillo, and Fontana with the bat. Overall, it's a good signing.

AAA has been pretty barren in recent seasons.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?t=t_ibp&cid=561&stn=true&sid=t561

Houchins has the most power and defensive versatility of the bench. Hermosillo is the best athlete with the greatest upside. Fernandez as you said is the best hitter.

I think Perez takes over as the backup catcher, but I think Cowart is gone.

3 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

Houchins has the most power and defensive versatility of the bench. Hermosillo is the best athlete with the greatest upside. Fernandez as you said is the best hitter.

I think Perez takes over as the backup catcher, but I think Cowart is gone.

Scotty,

What can you tell us about Houchins...I see that he has played first, third and SS in the minors.  
What are the chances he becomes a util guy in the near future?

1 hour ago, HaloNArizona said:

Scotty,

What can you tell us about Houchins...I see that he has played first, third and SS in the minors.  
What are the chances he becomes a util guy in the near future?

Houchins put on a ton of muscle in the last couple years.  He reminds me a little of Ken Caminiti from the right side.  Similar batting stance and stature (before Caminiti became overly huge).  He'll never be one to get on base, but he can sure drive the ball out of the park.  Defensively, he's athletic with a strong arm.  He plays a solid 1B and 3B and can play a passable shortstop.  He isn't a plus defender out there, but he can get the job done if you need it.  He's also playing OF in the Winter League in Venezuela this year. 

Not that this has any bearing, but because of the racial slurs on his twitter account (and the subsequent refusal to sign him from the Nats), a lot of teams steered clear of Houchins because they were concerned how teammates would respond, and there were questions about his character.  There's talk that had it not been for the insensitive language indecent, that Houchins from a pure talent perspective would've gone as high as the second round in the draft.  For sure top five rounds.  His draft stock plummeted.  From what I understand, it wasn't so much a mechanism of Zach being racist as much as it was the fact that he hung around a lot of African Americans in Carolina and using the N word is just sort of the way he talked.

He's kept off social media and kept his nose clean since being drafted by the Angels. 

Her's a natural 3B, but in order to get himself a spot with the team, he's learning all sorts of new positions.  I don't think the Angels would have him go through the trouble of learning these positions if they didn't plan on using him there in some capacity.

He'll be 25 next year, and I'm a bit surprised he wasn't taken in the Rule 5 Draft.  He'll probably spend the majority, if not all of next season at AAA Salt Lake, but if the end of the season was any taste for what's to come, he may force his way out of Salt Lake and to Anaheim earlier than expected.

I think he'll out perform several of out Top 30 prospects across his career. 

Fernandez and Houchins are likely replacing Marte on the depth chart. Marte's days are numbered as he's out of options, and he's still young enough that a team may snag him off waivers when his DFA day comes. 

I don't see any reason why either should start the season in Anaheim though - neither are on the 40-man right now, so barring an absolutely insane spring from either one (and a subsequently awful spring by whomever they'd be replacing) there is no reason to add one of them and displace someone else right now.

As much as we like to talk about the need for 8-10 starting pitchers on the depth chart, I think there's a similar need among position players.

1. Both Cron and Valbuena aren't going to stay on this roster all season. It just isn't going to happen. We'll lose one.

2. As hard as Simmons plays, he'll probably log a DL stint.

3. Because of Kinsler's advanced age, him too.

4. Albert's litany of healthy issue in the lower half will likely shelf him once or twice this year.

i think Fernandez and Houchins will both spend some time on the major league roster this year. Houchins has the chance to carve out a nice reserve role and Fernandez has enough bat that he could end up being our primary 1B or a super utility player.

Kinsler might nas t be here next year, and a Thaiss will likely be ready for 1B. Fernandez might earn the nod at 2B next year with his play this year.

5 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

As much as we like to talk about the need for 8-10 starting pitchers on the depth chart, I think there's a similar need among position players.

1. Both Cron and Valbuena aren't going to stay on this roster all season. It just isn't going to happen. We'll lose one.

2. As hard as Simmons plays, he'll probably log a DL stint.

3. Because of Kinsler's advanced age, him too.

4. Albert's litany of healthy issue in the lower half will likely shelf him once or twice this year.

i think Fernandez and Houchins will both spend some time on the major league roster this year. Houchins has the chance to carve out a nice reserve role and Fernandez has enough bat that he could end up being our primary 1B or a super utility player.

Kinsler might nas t be here next year, and a Thaiss will likely be ready for 1B. Fernandez might earn the nod at 2B next year with his play this year.

#2 is the one that scares me. Especially when I see him barehanding ground balls. One of these days he's going to break a finger and its going to be real depressing. At least now we can slot over Cozart, put Valbuena at third, and bring up Fernandez or someone.

21 hours ago, totdprods said:

Fernandez and Houchins are likely replacing Marte on the depth chart. Marte's days are numbered as he's out of options, and he's still young enough that a team may snag him off waivers when his DFA day comes. 

I don't see any reason why either should start the season in Anaheim though - neither are on the 40-man right now, so barring an absolutely insane spring from either one (and a subsequently awful spring by whomever they'd be replacing) there is no reason to add one of them and displace someone else right now.

Marte looks like a trade waiting to happen. If not, he will probably be a casualty of the 40 man roster crunch.

I understand that many of you, and especially guys like @Scotty@AW, know far more about prospects and scouting than me. But what is it about Houchins that makes you think he will ever crack a major league roster (let alone have a career)?  Nothing about his minor league numbers, at any level, is impressive. Factor in his advanced age, and I see zero reason to think he is anything other than a minor league roster filler. Tell me why I am wrong.

15 minutes ago, wopphil said:

I understand that many of you, and especially guys like @Scotty@AW, know far more about prospects and scouting than me. But what is it about Houchins that makes you think he will ever crack a major league roster (let alone have a career)?  Nothing about his minor league numbers, at any level, is impressive. Factor in his advanced age, and I see zero reason to think he is anything other than a minor league roster filler. Tell me why I am wrong.

Power, athleticism, versatility.

12 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

Power, athleticism, versatility.

None of which will be of any value if he can't produce numbers. He isn't going to magically put it all together. If he can't be more than an average bat in the minors (while not being young for any level he has played at), he isn't going to be even an average hitter in the majors. 

3 hours ago, wopphil said:

None of which will be of any value if he can't produce numbers. He isn't going to magically put it all together. If he can't be more than an average bat in the minors (while not being young for any level he has played at), he isn't going to be even an average hitter in the majors. 

Again, power hitting utility infielder. Jefry Marte, but can play all over the infield and corner outfield.

Nit going to be a star, but can be a useful bench piece for a major league team that needs defensive versatility....kind of like the Angels.

14 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

Again, power hitting utility infielder. Jefry Marte, but can play all over the infield and corner outfield.

Nit going to be a star, but can be a useful bench piece for a major league team that needs defensive versatility....kind of like the Angels.

And cheap for a few years as well.  Seems like a blueprint for success for any club.